Quilter = heresy?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by sothoth, May 9, 2017.

1. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

I just sold my Quilter because I wasn’t a fan of the drive tones. That said, they’re fine amps overall and the 50w mini heads are genuinely powerful enough to kill several audience members in any given club. I’m just looking for a different sound.

The whole solid state vs. tube amp thing is overly reductive in my opinion. I’ve had many amps over the last 17 years of playing guitar. Some tube amps were awesome and some were dogs to my ears. Same with solid states, some were great, others horrible to my ears. There’s enough variety within the design parameters of both types that saying one camp is generally superior than another is a fairly ignorant statement in my opinion.

SolidSteak and Oskar like this.
  2. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

OP, get a second opinion on the Bassman.

3. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Holic Double Platinum Supporter

And if it does, have a backup. Better to sound good most of the time with a small hiccup here or there, than sound like crap reliably.

4. sothoth

As far as SS amps go, I’d have to still pick the Quilter.

One of the issues with the Quilter Mach2 head was the HIGH output and need to pair with a 200W or more speaker. It seems out of place for most of my playing. Just touching the strings produced a rather boomy response. My 15- and 30-watters are plenty loud and give me the flexibility to turn down the volume to living room levels or cranked for a group setting.

No I’m not a Quilter basher, it’s just not the amp for me.

I wonder if the 101 would have worked better for me than the Mach2.

5. Utah Joe

Utah Joe Tele-Meister

The big difference between your cat and the Quilter: If you don’t like the Quilter it won’t poop in your favorite shoes.

6. sothoth

The cat tends to pee on shoes and once when we were on vacation she used our roomba as a toilet for 2 whole weeks.

mfguitar likes this.
  7. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Holic

Love my Quilter Aviator, having said that it probably has not left the house in over 2 years. You have to hand it to them for creating an amplifier with its own sound.

8. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Having owned 5 different Quilters now, I've found the speaker definitely makes a huge difference.

Also I think some people get the Quilters with the Tri-Q control and hate it, because there's no way to add treble. Other people (well, me) like the Tri-Q, because pedals sound great with it.

I'm guessing if you didn't like the Mach 2 you probably wouldn't like the 101 Reverb either. Unless it was paired with just the right speaker maybe.

9. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I’ve got a Mach II 8” combo. Was very much on the fence but figured I’d return it if it didn’t work out.

5 months later and I’ve still got it.

I loved the clean tones right off the bat. All styles. Wasn’t too crazy about the dirt but it’s a great amp for pedals and I’ve got a lot of them.

Then I started playing around with the limiter and Hi Cut. Makes a big difference with the OD and distortion. I use them a lot, now.

Still got and love my valve amps. But great sounds in a 19lbs package works for me.

(We had to put our attack cat down, unfortunately. Those trips to the emergency room had to stop)

10. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

total tube snob here but I gigged all through the 70s with a Bantam amp, solid-state 50 matter with a big old EV speaker. Loud enough for anything and OK-sounding dirt, if I remember correctly, which I don't, I'm pretty sure. got curious the other day & googled it & it turns out it was made by QSC -- and the Q in QSC turns out to the Quilter. so I guess the primeval version was good enough for me for about a decade or so.

gitapik and Lef T like this.
  11. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Holic

How many of these players are endorsed by Quilter? Let's face it, Quilter has great internet marketing strategy.

It's a bit different when these players are playing gear that was given to them than gear that they actually purchased with their hard earned cash. Not that any of these players would play bad sounding amps, but getting stuff for free is definitely a factor. It's not an investment for them like it is for the rest of us.

I have seen Quilter forum hype like this OP post too often to not be skeptical. It piqued my curiosity and I tracked one down. It sounded like a nicely voiced solid state amp with a transparent compressor on the front end and decent pre-amp distortion. No more, no less. It is what it is.

Personally I seek the edge of breakup, pushed power tube tones that the Quilter or any other SS just cannot do. They can fake it on the front end with good compression and pre-amp distortion but it remains a far cry from the touch sensitivity and dynamics of pushed power tubes. If you play with high gain or compressed clean sounds, you won't miss the tubes as much and it may work just fine. Your style matters.

I would have a hard time investing $800 in a Quilter when I can still find a wide variety of vintage tube amps at that price point that will continue to appreciate in value over time, and that are made with robust, point-to-point construction that will long outlive a Quilter PCB. The Quilter will be disposable in 20 years when the caps start to fail and problems begin, while the 60-70 year old Silverface Fenders will still be kicking with just a little bit of simple electronics maintenance. Of course by then, the digital modeling will probably be excellent, rendering the 20 year Quilter even more obsolete.

12. gitapik

Interesting post.

I agree about endorsements. My jazz teacher had a deal with Gibson and had to stop performing with his absolutely incredible early issue PRS, altogether.

Don't know much about caps failing, etc. I'm not much of a tech. I do know that I love my billM modded BJr and Port City Pearl. And my previous Boogie, Twin, Reverb Deluxe, and Peavey Artist amps. Tubes are wonderful.

But this Mach II 8" combo has serious clean tones. Takes pedals very well. Dirt sounds good, too. And it's 19lbs.

It won't replace my tube amps by any means. Might not be worth much later...I don't know. Suits my needs now, though. No doubt.

Marc Morfei and SolidSteak like this.
  13. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

People who know amps know Quilters. While not everyone loves them, not everyone loves AC30s, either. Or Marshalls. Those who you think might pooh-pooh a Quilter just because it's SS are uninformed and closed-minded, so their response (if any) shouldn't bother you. People who are judgmental about other players' equipment are just sad. Frankly, I think most of us would be curious and eager to hear your amp.

14. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Man, you really have a grudge against Quilter, don't you?

I think you must be a shill working for Fender...

15. gitapik

I think Ian has a point about the modeling amps. The quality of the lower priced models will improve. People will buy them.

Wouldn't it be funny if there ended up being a modeling patch for a Quilter Mach II Pro?

"Hey, man...check it OUT! But it's so freakin' expensive!"

"Yeah...and it's only available on the AXE Fx VI, man. Bummer..."

Lotta jazz players are very into it, which was my primary reason for picking one up. The versatility is a definite bonus that I was hoping for. There's a lot you can do with it, both standalone and with pedals.

Different strokes, as always. I've got no problem with someone who prefers tube amps. And I agree that there are sometimes compromises made when you're in an endorsement deal. But I doubt any band or artist is going to endorse a product that won't give them a great sound.

16. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Kinda a no-brainer for jazz cats who want a grab-n-go amp specifically for clean tones. Especially in places like NYC where carrying gear is an issue.

gitapik likes this.
  17. sothoth

I agree. For me it wasn’t a judgement based on it being SS and I really did try to make it work. Lower output might have made it work better for me.

18. sothoth

That think is lightweight and loud for sure!!

19. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

>>>Personally I seek the edge of breakup, pushed power tube tones that the Quilter or any other SS just cannot do.

Not true. You really can get that sound out of them. Try it and you'll see.

20. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

The true value/quality of an amp is the sound coming out of it, and that you're happy with it.

Marc Morfei likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.