Quilter = heresy?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by sothoth, May 9, 2017.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

We're talking Cat 5, right? :)

2. markal

markal Tele-Afflicted

I'm going to have to try a real tube amp one of these days to see what all the fuss is about! I've been very happy with my Blues Cubes and I liked a Peavey Bandit for a while.

Keep thinking I'll try a '68 Custom Princeton or something, but it's hard to justify when I like what I hear from my SS amps.

cgtrman likes this.
  3. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

People throw the term "tube amp" around like it's some kind of one-size-fits-all description. It's not-tube amps vary in feel and sound across the board. Some are great, some are horrid. Tubes does NOT mean "better," just a different technology used to get the AC signal to the speaker.

Mugs, Evil Funk, cgtrman and 3 others like this.
  4. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

If it sounds good, it is good.

cgtrman, Jakedog, DaphneBlue and 2 others like this.
  5. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

Retro rockabilly guitar purist Deke Dickerson uses a Quilter as his main amp onstage. He's a fantastic guitarist, someone to whom authentic tone is almost a religion. I've been seeing him play for years, and his guitar sounds just as good as it did when he played through pricey collectable vintage amps.

Jakedog and Fiesta Red like this.
  6. markal

markal Tele-Afflicted

Agreed. I had a Peavey Classic 30 very briefly and wasn't crazy about it. I have tried Blues Jrs a million times and can't quite get a sound I like. But every time I plug into a '68 Custom Princeton or Deluxe Reverb I realize that I will one day buy one of them.

However, threads like this are very much geared toward the tubes vs transistors debate, valid or not.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  7. Rokatt88

Rokatt88 Tele-Holic

Are they made with tubie lava or solid lava?

Jakedog likes this.
  8. lousy13

lousy13 Tele-Meister

Check out the West Coast Blues Thread on TGP. A number of well-known players in that genre of music are using Quilters as their gig amp and that group is about as pro authentic old school tube amp as they come. Tommy Harkenrider, Johnny Main (The 44's), Nathan James (James Harmon) play Quilters to name a few.

9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Isn't a Lava Lamp one big tube?

10. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I dunno. I tried the Katana that everyone raves about and I was not impressed. Then I auditioned a Roland Blues Cube Artist that everyone raves about, and I was not too impressed. I mean, it sounded good. But not as good as my Princeton Reverb or Vox.

Evil Funk and Ian T like this.
  11. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Try a powered Kemper, loaded with good profiles, through a traditional guitar cab.

Ian T likes this.
  12. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

Given the age of this thread, i reckon the op either got the quilter or a new cat.
    Personally i would take the quilter all day long - Its an amp of absolute quality. Cats just piss on your stuff to annoy you. No contest, really..

13. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

It’s a long story, but I still have the cat and I’m selling the quilter.

The cat is next to me right now and appears to be in a lucid state. The cat may suddenly switch gears completely and attack my face but I’m more in tune with the cat’s triggers now and I can make sure I’m prepared for things to go sideways.

I got a mach2 head used on reverb and matched it with the bass speaker that comes with the quilter combo. Loved the amp in the shop for cleans. Cleans still sounded good at home but it was lacking on the high end and I didn’t like the onboard OD at all. I am pretty much just a valve OD guy.

I also experimented with a different speaker and that helped with the high end (stock speaker is a bass speaker) but it couldn’t save the unnatural (to me) sound of the OD.

I replaced it with an Orange Brent Hinds Terror lunchbox and a Vox AC30 head. I like each of those far better than the Quilter. I have just accepted the fact that one amp can’t get me everywhere I want to go by itself. It’s no ones fault. Image1542951961.733616.jpg

El Tele Lobo and scottser like this.
  14. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

My experience with most of these "new" solid state wonder amps is, that the experience becomes stale after a while. I have my own story with a fly rig – an analog modeller with some efx I sparely use – which sounds good, but at the gig we all (the whole band gave me that feedback) missed a little rawness and punch – even played through a tube amp. IMHO all these products aim at a "produced" tone – like what a tube amp sounds once it's mixed and mastered in the studio. Sounds great at home and even in a rehearsal but somehow doesn't really quite cut on stage. Close, but not quite as Curtis Mayfield puts it. With clean tones I miss the sparkle in SS that tube produce so easily, with overdriven sounds I miss dynamics.

Then the marketing blabla: It is really weird. The strangest thing to me is that magazines uncritically just quote that BS in reviews. Is that journalism or PR? Boss/Roland's "Tube Logic" ore "tone capsules" (looking like tubes) or even worse german brand Hughes and Kettner's "spirit bionic tone generator" (that even glows in the amp) – C'mon, I can smell your bullsh*ting!

Ian T likes this.
  15. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

<rant>Have you ever experienced a tube amp fail on stage? I didn't – knock on wood – but countless SS amps. I can't take that bullsh*ting that tubes are not reliable, not durable any more.</rant>

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  16. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

it is easier to please only yourself than pleasing the rest of the crowd.
    because the rest of the crowd have different ideas and you can't please them all.

but we are human and want to be seen and accepted by a group, belong to that group.

that makes this kind decisions sometimes difficult.
    i listened to the guitarists that claim tube amps rule.
    bought a Engl gigmaster 15 combo, liked it at first untill the power tubes got shorted.
    i realized that their is some kind of fragility that i don't like, and sold the amp.
    now playing an old Evans sound creator ss amp with a tonelab st (with glowing led tube) and are happy with it.
    the same with an old vox pathfinder 15

and that's what counts, will you be happy with it? and don't care what others think ore want ore expect from you

17. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

it's all a question of what you'll use and what you won't. i'll be trading one of my amps this weekend for a fostex LR16 desk and recorder unit so i can record an album with my acoustic band. i haven't used the laney cub head in months so i reckon that'll get the push. i'll keep the special 6 though, i love that little thing too much to get rid. i wouldn't trade it for a cat though...:)

18. vernon

vernon Tele-Meister

“Journalism” in guitar mags?? Interesting...

19. Oskar

Oskar Friend of Leo's

I picked up a Quilter Aviator 12 (no longer made) about a month ago and like it a lot. Replaced my '71 DR.

My feeling on tone/tubes/SS, etc. is that when I go into a club and listen to a band, the first thing I listen to is musicianship. Are they good, tight, etc. The last thing I listen for is tone, which can be masked in so many ways these days, with pedals for one, never mind if it's tube or SS. Everyone seems to have a favorite overdrive/distort/dirt/scream/cream/boost/fuzz/ etc. pedal. Personally I know of no one who plays straight through a amp. So for me, what you're getting is not the true tube or SS amp, your getting a sound changed by an effect.

The old blues guys, and many players in the 60s played straight through an amp to get their sounds. So for me the argument is a moot one.

In the end, many have said it best already in this thread... if it sounds good to you, go with it.

SolidSteak likes this.
  20. cgtrman

cgtrman TDPRI Member

I have the Quilter 101 mini head and it's great. However, all I'm interested in are the clean tones. I am not high on the Quilter OD tones but in my case, I run pedals in front of a clean amp so it doesn't matter.

SolidSteak likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.