Quilter Aviator?

Bob M

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
After buying a Quilter 101 Reverb last year, it really has become my number one. I sold my DRRI and now my PRRI. The only issue with my current rig is that it is not a combo, which I kind of like. So I’m looking at Quilter again. Specifically an Aviator Cub (American style, not the UK version). The question I have-Is the Aviator a similar sound to the 101? I’m assuming it is a little more versatile due to the various voicings?

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I have the same question, but in reverse. I tried the quilter Superblock, which is basically the head version of the Aviator Cub. I thought it was very good, but not great, and ended up returning it. I know a lot of people love the 101. So I am also wondering how the two compare. Is the 101 “better” (subjective, yes I know) than the Aviator/Superblock?

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Is the Aviator a similar sound to the 101?

I have had good luck asking Quilter questions by email (abt my 201 Tone Block). I'd go that route and ask how the Aviator (model you are interested in) voicing(s) compare on the oscilloscope to the 101. While it may not address the "better" question, the 'scope comparisons should answer the similar sound questions at the most basic level...cuts out all the speaker and cab discussion. Admittedly, it is early and I'm only one+one half cups of coffee in, but that is what I'd do.

11 Gauge

Doctor of Teleocity
I have the same question, but in reverse. I tried the quilter Superblock, which is basically the head version of the Aviator Cub. I thought it was very good, but not great, and ended up returning it. I know a lot of people love the 101. So I am also wondering how the two compare. Is the 101 “better” (subjective, yes I know) than the Aviator/Superblock?
I guess that first off, we have to assume that when someone says '101', they're referring to the 101 Reverb model specifically. The 101 Reverb and SuperBlock US have the same controls.

...And - the voicing of the 101 Reverb, per Quilter's own choice of words, leads me to believe that they were aiming for a BF/SF Fender sort of tonality.

Based on that, I'd think the '65' setting of the SuperBlock US would probably be at least somewhat similar to the voicing of the 101 Reverb, but since '61' and '57' were probably intended to be non-BF/SF emulations, I'd think that's where you end up with non-101 Reverb sounds.

What I say next is highly speculative, but here goes. Assuming you liked the '65' setting of the SuperBlock US the most, it might be possible that you'd like the 101 Reverb even more. My thinking is that Quilter probably had to make some compromises to provide three different voicings at the flick of a switch, while the 101 Reverb could potentially have been 'maximized/optimized' to sound as similar to a BF/SF Fender voicing as possible. Remember that Quilter is achieving all of these sounds with just analog circuitry - unless they are using complex multi-pole switches (or using multiple relays), the amount of circuit reconfiguration will be somewhat limited.

But yeah, it would be interesting if someone would A/B the 101 Reverb vs. the SuperBlock US, with the latter on the '65' setting, specifically. It might be revealed that you could set the two to sound pretty much the same.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Even though the 'blocks' have the same sorts of controls as the Aviator Cub, you cannot make a direct comparison because the blocks allow you to use a wide variety of speakers and cabs (singles, multis, open back, closed back, etc.).

The best advice I can offer is to get to a shop that has these and compare them yourself.

Tone is too subjective, and your own ears are the best judge of sound quality. Yootoob is good for doing some homework on features, build quality, etc., but getting a realistic representation of any amp's sound from a computer is really impossible. You have to be in the same room with the actual amp to get a feel for what it can do...because you not only hear an amp--you feel it as well.

11 Gauge

Doctor of Teleocity
Even though the 'blocks' have the same sorts of controls as the Aviator Cub, you cannot make a direct comparison because the blocks allow you to use a wide variety of speakers and cabs (singles, multis, open back, closed back, etc.).

The best advice I can offer is to get to a shop that has these and compare them yourself.

Tone is too subjective, and your own ears are the best judge of sound quality. Yootoob is good for doing some homework on features, build quality, etc., but getting a realistic representation of any amp's sound from a computer is really impossible. You have to be in the same room with the actual amp to get a feel for what it can do...because you not only hear an amp--you feel it as well.
Yeah, comparing any head to any combo, and not just Quilter's, is a bit of a fool's errand.

This is the specific reason why I'll probably only ever get Marshalls in head format, because IME, that's what really makes or breaks just how good they sound. I only had to own one Marshall combo to realize this.

I don't care how much R&D an amp company puts into deciding on specific speakers in a combo, at any price point. They are making semi-subjective decisions based on how they think it should sound, combined with real world compromises based on availability at production scale, limitations of cabinet space, and so on. And in the case of Quilter specifically, they tend to prefer speakers that are either higher power, or are lighter in weight. That further limits what speakers will end up in their combos, especially.

tomoff

TDPRI Member
Idk how similar they are, but I absolutely love my Aviator Cub. I can't even imagine a better combo has ever existed(for my tastes, anyway).
Dave, can the Cub 50 watt be tamed for bedroom listening levels and still sound alright? I know it has a headphone jack but I also want to enjoy the live sound from the speaker without ending in divorce court. I have loved all the demo's of this combo and it has the Fender sound I desire. I wish it had a power controller so I could reduce the wattage. I've been comparing to the 30 watt Blues Cube Hot as it does have power controller but my preference is the Cub.

davidchagrin

Tele-Afflicted
Dave, can the Cub 50 watt be tamed for bedroom listening levels and still sound alright? I know it has a headphone jack but I also want to enjoy the live sound from the speaker without ending in divorce court. I have loved all the demo's of this combo and it has the Fender sound I desire. I wish it had a power controller so I could reduce the wattage. I've been comparing to the 30 watt Blues Cube Hot as it does have power controller but my preference is the Cub.
I'm my experience, it's sounds exactly the same at any volume level. I've played with the volume quite low, and it still sounds great. Like anyone, I prefer to get the speaker moving, but it definitely works at bedroom volume. The speaker volume knob on the amp effectively works like power scaling.

OmegaWoods

Tele-Afflicted
I'm my experience, it's sounds exactly the same at any volume level. I've played with the volume quite low, and it still sounds great. Like anyone, I prefer to get the speaker moving, but it definitely works at bedroom volume. The speaker volume knob on the amp effectively works like power scaling.
This is also my experience. My Cub sounds great and consistent across the volume range.

Bob M

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I took Stormsedge’s suggestion and sent Quilter the question. Their answer is that the 101 Reverb is voiced similarly to the BF simulation on the Aviator Cub. That works for me. As much as I would like to play a sample there are no dealers within a reasonable drive. Worse case-I send it back. Sweetwater has a great return policy.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
I'm my experience, it's sounds exactly the same at any volume level.

I have the Aviator Gold 1x8 combo (2x channels, 100 watts per side) and it is the same: drop the volume and the amp responds and sounds the same as it does when it's cranked up. The difference is how it feels in the room: there's less of that thump you feel in your guts.

I love this little amp. It's not much larger than a BF Champ, smaller than a Princeton reverb, and only 25 lbs. The closed-back cab makes it sound way bigger than it is. It's the amp I take when I play jams and open mics. It has no trouble keeping up with a loud drummer and another guitarist playing through a much larger amp like a Blues Deville or other 2x12 beast.

These are now out of production, but can be found 2nd hand.

johnnylaw

Friend of Leo's
I have a bud with a Mach II and a new Aviator that has both the American and Brit voiced sides.
The biggest challenge was adjusting his playing to the response of the larger open-back cab with a 12” (I think) speaker.
Both amps sound really good. Both can take pedals. I can’t imagine that most audience members would notice or hear anything “not right” with the voice of these amps.
At bedroom levels, they sound and feel similar to their cranked voice. Obviously, cab and speaker come into play at gig volumes, but I ain’t heard nothin’ I don’t like.

JDB2

Tele-Afflicted
How about using your 101 Reverb in a 10” or 12” Block Dock? That would convert your 101 Reverb into a combo. I use a Block Dock 12HD with a Tone Block 202 and I like is so much that I bought a second.

Last edited:

Treynor

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter

Sea Devil

Friend of Leo's
JDB2 has the most practical suggestion, IMO. I went a different route and had a pine cab made. I use an Eminence Wheelhouse 150 neo speaker and couldn't be happier. Total weight is under 20 pounds.
D9A4A81F-FA51-4682-8065-2CFE02EB673B.jpeg

52 tele

Tele-Meister
I've just bought a used Cub and to enjoy using the controls at lower volume i purchased a 'Dr Watson Lion Tamer'.
This goes into the effects loop and enables you to really fine tune the tone at low volume because I found that without it the volume pot was a bit HRDish and did'nt allow you to get a lot of different tones.
I'll post some pics soon to show.

52 tele

Tele-Meister
64lIQHX.jpg

Sorry about the blurred'ness,but anyways its a passive attenuator into the effects loop because even at min volume its still pretty loud for home use late on. With this you can dial in a much better tone and volume on the quiet........
If you go to Ebay UK you can ask the guy to make you an adjustable one,like this one so that it fits the slightly larger gap twixt sockets and can be used on other amps too.

pippoman

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I have had good luck asking Quilter questions by email (abt my 201 Tone Block). I'd go that route and ask how the Aviator (model you are interested in) voicing(s) compare on the oscilloscope to the 101. While it may not address the "better" question, the 'scope comparisons should answer the similar sound questions at the most basic level...cuts out all the speaker and cab discussion. Admittedly, it is early and I'm only one+one half cups of coffee in, but that is what I'd do.
Excellent, logical comment. Maybe one and a half cups is your sweet spot.