Quilter Aviator Mach 3

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by biker joe, Oct 26, 2021.

1. biker joe

biker joe Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

These just got announced and look really cool! Looks like all the sounds in the superblocks in a nice two channel amp. Probably not shipping til mid March though. A nice upgrade over the cub and the current Mach 2 offerings. I might have to give it a try.

2. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

J. Leonard Jay always seems like the happiest person in the world.

Also, damn, if I’m keeping up in band rehearsal with a Quilter set on 2 watts, you can probably play stadiums with this thing.

stormsedge likes this.
  3. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

It seems cool but overkill for me, I don't need that many amp models, and certainly not dual sets of them, and I'm personally not knocked out by the gain tones on Quilter amps. I like Quilter amps, have owned several and have a 101 Reverb which I use mostly as a clean set up with pedals for gain.
    A smaller cheaper 1 channel 100 watt version of the Aviator would be a good seller but I know they have the 3 voice 50 watt Aviator Cub.
    For the cost of the Aviator Mach 3 you're getting into the range of some nice tube amps.

Wallaby likes this.
  4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Thanks!

stormsedge likes this.
  5. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

J Leonard Jay is a bit manic in his demos isn't he! Quilter makes some good stuff, one of my best buddies has owned all kinds of vintage and boutique tube amps, he gigs with either a Pro Block / Block Dock or a MicroPro Mach II 8, and consistently gets a great tone and cuts through the band mix well. And although he does still have a Dr Z Zluxe, he told me that most of the time at home he plays through his Quilter.

6. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Holic

All good points, but I salute Mr. Quilter for pushing analog SS tech into a great usable product. This Mach 3 certainly pushes the features boundary. I have a SuperBlock US and it is amazing. It does “act” like a tube amp in most respects. The newer offerings seem to be evolving…… BMT controls in place of the shape controls, reverb built in…..voicing options.

I do believe there is a place for a single channel version, but it probably would not move the price point very much.

On the gain thing, my observation with the SBUS is they are getting there……still not as good as tubes, but getting there.

….As much as we love tubes, the day is coming when they will go the way of the buggy whip. I have a hard time warming up to the digital stuff. It’s nice to have good options.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  7. Bob M

Bob M Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I recently bought a Quilter 101 reverb. Running it through a 2 x 10. I am selling a DRRI tomorrow. The Quilter knocked the DRRI out. I’m still keeping a ‘68 PRRI, but just barely.

lmjmitchell, Jbnaxx, jellodog and 2 others like this.
  8. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Holic

The Mach 3 looks and sounds great, although the number of knobs is a bit overwhelming. I would compare this with the Nextone Special in terms of features and tones. Hmmm... may have to consider upgrading my amp from the Blues Cube Artist to one of those (Quilter vs. Nextone).

9. stormsedge

stormsedge Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I think the Mach III looks great. I'll be scheming on how to trade in to one up until the time they are finally released.

10. Happy Enchilada

Happy Enchilada Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I have an Aviator Cub that I've been playing through for 6 weeks or so. It has 3 input jacks for 3 different flavors of Fender (Tweed, Blonde, and Black). The reverb is decent and the gain is useable even at wee volume settings - which I can't really say for some of the Fender amps I've owned that don't start to deliver breakup until they reach ear-slitting volume levels. Which is why they're all gone now but the Blues Jr. with the Cannabis Rex.

BUT THAT'S WHAT PEDALS ARE FOR!!!

I can get the dirt I need without the cops showing up with my Blues Driver or Dirty Duo or Guv'Nor pedals through the Quilter. And my oh my, does it deliver CLEANS in spades!

The Aviator Mach III sounds like a great amp. If I hadn't just finished paying for this one, I'd be interested. Two separate channels, tremelo, 200 Watts ... and the XLR line out and power scaling switch ... even TDPRI John would probably admit it delivers tone and volume both (we'd have to duct tape him to a chair and force him to play through it, though). :p

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    StevesBoogie likes this.
  11. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Holy smokes. Those are some amazing tones that I'm hearing. Of course, Quilter has the best players. But still.

The '57, the Plexi, the Sweet. Man those are all I need. As a bedroom player I would think the 200w is overkill, LOL.

But I'd love to have those tones readily available.

12. Happy Enchilada

Happy Enchilada Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Yeah, either one of these guys could go into a pawnshop and play a Danelectro with cigarette burns through a moldy Silvertone with a torn speaker and sound better than most of us on our best day.

The tone is in yer booger hooks. Or in some cases, yer tattoos. :cool:

StevesBoogie likes this.
  13. biker joe

biker joe Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Just got an update and heard they are available now from the manufacture. Guess the normal online dealers are just out of stock already and waiting on a second batch.

StevesBoogie likes this.
  14. stormsedge

stormsedge Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

15. StevesBoogie

The only gripe I had about the Quilter Aviator Mach 3 combo was: "Why do they put all of the controls in the back of the amp, totally incovenient!!!"

I just learned that with this amp, you can pull the head out of the combo and rest it on top of the cabinet.

(I think I just became a buyer...)

Jay Leonard J only mentions this in his video and you don't actually see him doing it.

I am new to the Quilter product line so I have no idea if this is how they all work. I absolutely do not need another amplifier but, man, does this amp call my name.

16. StevesBoogie

17. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

When I look at the complete Quilter lineup, there is a definite gap at 1 [email protected] W.

Next?

jellodog likes this.
  18. jellodog

jellodog TDPRI Member

Jack Ryan Sullivan demos a variety of guitars through the Aviator Mach 3 here:

StevesBoogie likes this.
  19. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Holic

If I had a PRRI I would keep it too. To me, it’s one of the sweetest sounds an amp can make.

Bob M likes this.
  20. lmjmitchell

lmjmitchell Tele-Holic

I really wish this was available when I was looking at the Mach 2. Seems like an awesome amp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.