Quilter Aviator Mach 3 first impressions

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
I've been looking at a Quilter as a backup/girlfriend's apartment amp, but in all the videos the crunchy sounds all sounded sub-par. I was thinking that maybe the Mach 3 wouldn't have that problem (I've been looking at the American Aviator cub) but I guess not. The search continues...

Wait, an amp to keep at your backup girlfriend’s apartment?

You are such a show off.

kookaburra

Friend of Leo's
Odd, because I finally alternated my Superblock UK with my Rockittretro 50 at practice recently, and I found the JMP setting to be extremely close to the Rockittretro in terms of quality crunch. Same guitar and cab used.

I’ve also had great crunch with the Tweed setting on the US model at the practice space, although I didn’t contrast/compare with any tube amp those times.

D_Malone

Tele-Afflicted
Odd, because I finally alternated my Superblock UK with my Rockittretro 50 at practice recently, and I found the JMP setting to be extremely close to the Rockittretro in terms of quality crunch. Same guitar and cab used.

I’ve also had great crunch with the Tweed setting on the US model at the practice space, although I didn’t contrast/compare with any tube amp those times.

It’s all subjective, right? I haven’t had a chance to compare my SBUK to the Mach 3 because it’s currently loaned out, but I wasn’t impressed with the JMP voice on the SBUK either. I’ve played Marshall amps for over 30 years, so I guess my expectations might be a little unrealistic.

With the Mach 3, the Plexi setting has tons of upper bass and bass. Sounds very boxy and nothing like any Marshall I’ve ever played. Dialing down the mids and bass helps, but it’s just not a good sound. I’m fine with the Mach 3 not perfectly emulating any particular amp, but the Plexi setting just sounds bad no matter how I dial it in, IMO.

I’m using a Kaluna tube overdrive pedal into the Mach 3 “1961” setting, clean, which is a Blonde Bassman kinda voicing. Sounds and feels pretty damn close to a Marshall, and makes the Mach 3 Plexi setting sound ridiculous in comparison.

EDIT: I’ve loaned my SBUK to the other guitarist in our band because his AC-30 died. After his first rehearsal with it he said “why am I dragging this (AC-30) around?” The SBUK is an amazing little amp!

Last edited:

D_Malone

Tele-Afflicted
I know I’m being very critical of the Mach 3, and for good reason. As I said before, this is my fourth Quilter. I’m well-familiar with their strengths and weaknesses.

I actually love the Mach 3 for what it is. Its got great clean/mild crunch tones, more headroom than I would ever need, takes pedals amazingly well, and is super high quality. It’s a keeper, for sure. I just wish Quilter would put a little more work into their dirty sounds. As I’ve said, there are many other SS and modeling amps available that absolutely blow Quilters away for dirty sounds.