1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Quilter Aviator Cub?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Marc Morfei, Mar 3, 2021.

1. FenderFanBoy

FenderFanBoy TDPRI Member

Oh I just realized you mentioned using drive pedals in between the inputs.

Yep, that'd be one way to compensate for volume differences! Duhhh.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
    Sporqueman and That Cal Webway like this.
  2. patzer

patzer TDPRI Member

FenderFanBoy likes this.
  3. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I played one of these today right alongside a Tonemaster DR. Very interesting little amp!

First of all, I do like some aspects of the TM feature set, and its traditional look is cool. I don't like putting the MV on the back and calling it an "attenuator" (that's silly) and only having one voicing seems kind of artificial. I understand some would consider those features, but not me.

For $600 ($300 less than a TM), I think this Aviator Cub amp is worth a serious look. First of all, tiny!! It's truly the size and weight of an old practice amp. It's a little lighter, and definitely smaller, than the TM.
    The tweed setting was my favorite in just the few minutes I played around with it. The Blonde was nice too, I have no experience with the originals. Plenty of clean headroom and nice treble response. Edge-of-breakup was easy to find.
    Reverb was - it was a digital reverb. They all sound pretty much the same to me.
    Overall, it seemed extremely well built on the level of a Roland product. If I were in the market for an extremely portable yet gig-volume Fender voiced amp, I would be more interested in this than the TM series at this point. In my brief time playing it, I also preferred it to my Roland Blues Cube Stage and Katana 100w that I owned, of course they all have different feature sets but are kind of aiming at the same customer.

RidiculousWonk and FenderFanBoy like this.
  4. itsscottwilder

itsscottwilder TDPRI Member

Does the Quilter have a mute switch so you can mute the speaker and just send signal out the line out?

scelestus likes this.
  5. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Holic

The speaker volume and line out volume have their own controls, so you have even more options than with a mute switch.

6. RidiculousWonk

RidiculousWonk TDPRI Member

I’d be interested in hearing a comparison to a Boss Katana and a Blues Cube to see if the Quilter is a step above. I’m ready to move on from my Katana and am having trouble deciding between the features of higher end SS amps and something like a PRRI.

7. Baaford

Baaford Tele-Meister

I just got one of these, imported from Thomann to the UK. First impressions are very good. I have a Victory V40 Deluxe, which is a high end blackface style amp with a tweedish 2nd voice. I need a smaller, lighter amp and this seemed to fit. A/B'd the Victory has a sweeter, bigger and more 3D tone, but with some tweeking the blackface voice on the Quilter was very close. Certainly not £1200 difference in sound, which is the price difference here. The reverb is good enough but I'd probably use a Flint or something like that instead. Overdrive at low volume is very good on the quilter and its limiter does a great job of making it sound more like a tube amp. Very pleased with it. It sounds better than a TM to my ear.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    scelestus likes this.
  8. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Holic

By "TM" do you mean a Fender Tone Master or a Tech 21 Trademark? Just curious!

9. Baaford

Baaford Tele-Meister

Sorry, Fender Tonemaster

scelestus likes this.
  10. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Holic

Thanks!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.