1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Quilter Aviator Cub?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Marc Morfei, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Just at GC, they had a little 12" combo Quilter Aviator Cub. Sounded pretty good. I can find basically no info on it online anywhere. None of the retailers even seem to have it. Anyone know anything about it? Just $600.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

3. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Poster Extraordinaire

I played a Quilter Aviator with a 12" when I was in Santa Barbara a few years ago. This one didn't have 'Cub' in the name ... I wanted to buy it but didn't have the money. I think it was around $1000 new.

4. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

7CFC7704-C6E4-4F34-AF4F-57A386A5E6AF.jpeg 6BA18605-6218-4463-AD8B-8A4509242A5A.jpeg
    this is the one

5. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Poster Extraordinaire

Found one for sale on reverb
    and they're only 20lbs!?

JamesAM likes this.
  6. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

If electronics are anything like the old Aviator/Gold series, it's a decent amp. Kinda weird having 3 inputs/settings vs being able to select between them like in the Aviator and MicroPro. That would potentially drive me nuts!

That Cal Webway and Shango66 like this.
  7. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

I saw one at GC Nashville today. The cab looks smaller than the old Aviator 1x12combo.

8. ucnick

ucnick Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

This is a new design? Small. 16 1/2" x 16 1/2" x about 11", actually a little smaller, looks kinda cool. A bit smaller than my Micro Pro Mach 2 12 HD. About the same weight. Kinda looks a little like a BlockDock cab with a modded, built in Mini 101? I can't find it on the Quilter website and they don't have a search capability. Not on the discontinued page...:confused:

9. Joe D.

Joe D. TDPRI Member

10. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

New amp line for Quilter.
    I have an original Aviator head, great BF tones.

looks like the tech 21 trademark 60

11. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

JeffBlue and Shango66 like this.
  12. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Holic

OH MAN A BLONDE TONE IN A MODERN AMP. So few are doing this (I know some, but not even Fender is milking this possibility).

You think 50W is loud enough compared to a Deluxe Reverb?

13. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Killer amps.

I have the Aviator Gold in a 1x8 and as a head. Fantastic sounds. 25 lbs and 200 watts...loud enough to liquify your eyeballs even clean.

drlucky likes this.
  14. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

Looks fantastic! It's a 101 Reverb with two more voices. I've done tons of gigs with a 101 and an Eminence neo speaker. It's very loud, and the only built-in digital reverb that sounds right (and I play lots of surf).
    Many, many compliments on the sound, btw, and many inquiries from fellow guitarists. I'm happy with what I have, but I'd be all over this otherwise. Totally worth it; actually about $150 less than I'd expect.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
  15. Leonardocoate

Leonardocoate Tele-Meister

Quilter is very good stuff, but pricey...Their heads are very high quality, but I have only played through my speakers. I'don't have any experience with their combo amps..probably good

16. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My question on it comparing with the Deluxe,
    is it as loud clean as a Deluxe Reverb??

17. FenderFanBoy

FenderFanBoy TDPRI Member

So I feel I can answer this after trying one out today and having owned a Deluxe or three.

Honestly, yeah I do think the Quilter probably does have a bit more volume on tap and certainly more clean volume (maybe not necessarily overall headroom). It would be a fantastic lightweight gigging amp.

That said, the cleans aren't quite as complex as a good deluxe. There's a lot more of that 3 dimensional quality in the DR. If you only ever need to get to 3 or 4 on the volume with the DR, I'd say it's definitely the better sounding amp. But if you need to get more volume, then the Quilter does a pretty good blackface impression. The overdrive sound on the Quilter isn't bad, but also isn't as pleasing as a deluxe overdriving on say 5 or 6 on the volume. I also feel the deluxe handles overdrives a little better. I tried a Rat through the Aviator and wasn't disappointed, but wasn't really excited either. With the deluxe, the Rat always sounds incredible. I'm sure other types of effects would sound quite good on the Aviator tho. Especially choruses and delays.

One thing I will say is that I would take this aviator over a Tonemaster all day. As cool as the TM deluxes are, they SUCK with drive and especially fuzz. Just like all digital amps. At least with Quilters, they are purely analog so it does sound much more organic.

Also, the blonde setting on the Aviator is seriously good. That was the thing I was most impressed with. It actually has a very nice growl going on but also clear and clean. I'd probably use that more than the blackface setting.

Oh and one more thing... The line out on the Aviator is probably among the best I've ever heard. If you plug into a PA, that's a massive selling point.

18. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Thank you! Very specific and you answered several questions I had!

It sounds it's as I anticipated with my gut guessing. I did notice in a video Pat Quilter did comparing the Aviator with and actual 50's Fender tweed, that dimed, the Fender was much more complex, full. Little comparison between the two... to me.

(although I'm a clean player, and wouldn't dime it)

FenderFanBoy likes this.
  19. Sporqueman

Sporqueman TDPRI Member

Thanks FFB! I was considering popping for a Tone Master Deluxe, and then I saw the Quilter Aviator Cub videos and said "wait a dog-bone minute!" Why not pay less money and get a better sounding amp? My concerns were the overall clean (and otherwise) volume, pedal-friendliness, and the three inputs. I contacted Quilter and asked about running an A/B switch into two of the inputs, and they said it's safe to do. I'm thinking put a drive pedal between the A/B and whichever channel I like better for the drive, or even put different drive pedals into the different inputs. I'm happy to hear that the Cub has enough volume to do the job...I guess as long as it's even good enough for stage volume it can be lined out to the PA for FOH. I gonna have to git one.

FenderFanBoy likes this.
  20. FenderFanBoy

FenderFanBoy TDPRI Member

Awesome! Yeah I definitely prefer the Aviator Cub to either Tone Master. They're basically moot as far as clean tones go, but the overdrive sounds are where the Quilter buries the TM. Add an FX Loop and 3 voices, at less money... It's almost a no brainer. It's very lightweight, but I will say it's got some depth to the cab which makes carrying it a bit weird. But I'm sure that extra depth helps the low end.

I use the Rat and lots of various fuzzes, depending on my mood and that is why I wouldn't ever get a TM. They just sound awful through them. But the Rat (which I feel is a great pedal to test amps with) actually sounded pretty nice through the Aviator. Not amazing, but solid. I didn't get it dialed in real well, but I bet I could get it to sound even better if I messed with everything more.

And I'm so glad you mentioned the AB pedal thing! I was kicking myself for not testing whether or not that would be an option. Because that's how I run my Blackface amps. One caveat is that I do believe the Tweed and Blonde were a little louder than the Black channel. So since they share the volume and gain knob, you might have to compensate somehow.

Sporqueman and That Cal Webway like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.