Quilter Amps- What Are Your Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by bravescoob, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Pretty sure this video was made by a shill for the American Wombat Training Association. No way are Wobats that cuddly. I mean, this video implies that Wombats could be as cuddly as kittens. There aren’t. Period. If they really were, way more professional children would want Wombats than kittens. Wombats are cool, I have nothing against them. But they are what they are. And they simply won’t ever be as good as a kitten.

2. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's

You're paranoid.

kookaburra and Jakedog like this.
  3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I vote capybara. These animals seem permanently stoned, they are so mellow.

kookaburra and Jakedog like this.
  4. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

It just goes to show you can't trust all the ridiculous wombat hype coming from paid shills on youtube. I know like 5 people who used to own cats, but they switched to wombats after seeing a video just like this one. They were very disappointed when the wombats refused to use the litter box, and instead left their cube-shaped feces all over the house. Needless to say they demanded their money back and went back to being cat people. Besides, everyone knows cats are warmer, and work better with fuzz pedals.

Digital Larry and Jakedog like this.
  5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Today, well, as I was waking from morning slumper, I had the passing fancy that I would see "cube-shaped feces" hyperlinked in a TDPRI post. I laughed it off :eek:

Get out of my head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

To the OP, Congrats on the new amp. I've had a good experience with the 101 mini which is similar to your amp, sans the limiter and reverb. I've had it for a few years now and have used it as a pedal platform, a stand-alone amp without pedals and also an acoustic and keyboard amp, plugging into the FX return jack. the FX return bypasses a the tone shaping and also works great if you have a different pre-amp you like. I've been putting a ROG Umble in front of mine with good results. I imagine something like the Joyo American Sound might also sound good as in that role.

If you haven't watched the Jay Leonard demo, it might be worth checking out. He gives a pretty good tutorial on how the controls work and getting different sounds.

My own advice would be that speaker choice is a pretty big deal. I settled on an open back 1X12 but YMMV. Try some different combinations if you can. I also got good sounds from 1X10 and 2X12 but don't expect 1X10 to sound like a Twin or visa versa.

Jakedog likes this.
  7. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

That's all fine, but which looks better perched on your Marshall? On you Fender?

8. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen Tele-Holic

Summed up nicely.

I'd have a Quilter if I needed one. I just can't justify it. They sound awesome though, and yes, I've heard them first hand, live, in person.

Jakedog likes this.
  9. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Comments like this are ridiculous and belong in the Ultimate Guitar Forum, not TDPRI.

Modman68, Jakedog and Festus_Hagen like this.
  10. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Good to see you posting again and nice reply to the anti SS guy! And Wombats are super cool too!

Jakedog likes this.
  11. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Holic

I know enough. I have an associates in computer electronics and servicing. You're not wrong, neither am I. The "touch and feel" of SS and modelers is different than the "touch and feel" of a cranked tube amp. I believe it will always be different. Maybe not everyone notices or appreciates the difference, but I feel the difference when I play one or the other. I'm sure the circuits have gotten much better.

I will say the most fun I ever had playing a SS amp was a cranked up Peavey Studio Chorus 70 with - if I remember correctly - two 8 inch speakers. I had a Lab Series a long time ago that was really nice, but that was gone before I ever "discovered" tube amps. Oddly, even the little Zoom modeler pedal I have sounds better thru a clean tube amp than it does thru a clean SS amp. But then my little SS amp isn't exactly top shelf hi fi. It's just a backup amp in case my tubes go south on stage.

12. Flyboy

Flyboy Tele-Meister

Those things can be vicious!

13. bravescoob

bravescoob Tele-Meister

Thanks for the Frenzel recommendation! Exactly what I am looking for and unlike many of the custom builds, actually affordable!

soundchaser59 likes this.
  14. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

I have to admit, I looked up that Frenzel Mini Bassman and saw this youtube demo and thought "Whoa DANG! That's a trick none of my amps can do right now unless maybe I plug in a fuzz pedal..." Sounds pretty sweet to me.

bravescoob likes this.
  15. die Fliege

die Fliege TDPRI Member

A friend of mine has one, sounds fantastic through a 2x10 cabinet.

16. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Meister

I haven't played that amp, but I use the Mini 101 and the Interstate (works great in FRFR mode with Helix) and I love Quilter.

EDIT: It isn't called Interstate it's called Interblock, lol I don't know why I always call it interstate.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    bravescoob likes this.
  17. aw73

aw73 TDPRI Member

i played solid state amps most of my life until i got a tube amp. its not just the feel, it just sounds better than ss. ss amps sound stale like a recording of you playing and a tube amp sounds live and real.

i havent played a quilter but ive demoed the boss katana artist 100 it sounds pretty good, kinda like there gt series pedal boards. my ss randall 100 watt 2x12 stereo chorus amp i use to own sounded better to me. but my 68 custom princeton reverb sounds better than ether of them, just not as loud.

18. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Meister

At a minimum, the Quilter would be an ideal backup head for a touring musician. Tubes can and do go bad on tour, so something that takes up little space and sounds convincing enough would be smart to take on the road.

Depending on the situation and the player, it could also be a good primary amp.

19. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

There are a lot of differing views here, but your statement was ridiculous.

Jakedog and Festus_Hagen like this.
  20. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Holic

I have a Quilter Aviator that is a real fine piece of gear with it's own sound and you cannot beat the weight. I don't think they claim to sound like anything else. If I used a lot of effects it may be my go-to, but then I bought a couple of Frenzel amplifiers and was really blown away. I now use a custom amp from NAU but the Frenzels are a great value and are for sure "keepers".

SolidSteak and bravescoob like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.