Quilter Amps- What Are Your Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by bravescoob, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Holic

Nothing against Quilter, just here to express healthy skepticism of the hype train that seems to follow these solid state amps, as I would with any other thread that starts like this did.

What can I say....if you don't think that there are companies use shill advertising tactics on this here forum, as well as practically every other forum and review platform out there, you are a naive, overly trusting person and likely having your own mental perceptions manipulated by folks that prey upon those that trusting folks that dare not question the status quo and information they are fed on the internet.

Here we have a thread that starts with Shill Marketing 101 approach of asking a question to generate interest in a product, followed by several posters that follow chiming in to say how great it is. I'm not making this up, it's a common tactic, as is hooking up forum posters that have high presence with free gear in return for praising their product online. I'm not sure that's what is happening here, it could be coincidence, yet vetting with some healthy skepticism is actually to your own benefit.

What I do note with Quilter is excessive hype with ridiculous claims like how a solid state amp is a great pedal platform (slam that front end with your boost pedal, sounds just like a tube amp!), or that it can do edge of breakup tones controlled by picking dynamics or guitar volume, just like a pushed tube amp. A solid state amp does not respond like pushed, soft clipping power tubes, period. Power section of a solid state amp does not soft clip. The tone manipulation must come from the preamp, and preamp emulations of pushed power tubes are a far cry from the real McCoy. Obviously I'm not the only one who thinks this way, as the vast majority of gigging players still use tube amps, despite the added weight, maintenance headaches, etc. I've played a Quilter, and it sounded like a nicely voiced solid state amp with a transparent limiter on the front end. No more, no less.

I also note that Quilter sponsors a lot of players that are not widely known outside of Internet forums, which shows that they value people with a higher profile on internet forums as having ability to generate sales. If not, they wouldn't invest their money in these relatively lesser known players, like Tommy Harkenrider. Did Surfer Joe buy that amp at the store? No doubt Quilter is very much in touch with internet forum discussion, just like any other seller in this industry. It doesn't take a "troll army" to sway internet discussion, just a few posters, a VPN helps, too.

If anybody is curious about Quilters, I don't blame you, I was too. Go try for yourself and let your own ears decide. Just don't expect to be able to slam the front end with boost and have it react just like a tube amp, or for it to do edge of breakup tones like a tube amp, because it is a solid state amp, no more no less.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    Durtdog, black_doug and Hatfield92 like this.
  2. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

As a long time Fender only guy... its depressing, but there are some SS amps out there that get darn close these days.... That said, I want a Fender Bandmaster or Bassman lately...

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  3. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

I really like my 101 Reverb through a BlockDock 10TC. I replaced the Celestion with a Eminence Copperhead... still breaking in. I play my '58 AV Tele through a Tumnus OD and it's bitchen! I played one for an hour at a store and couldn't get the tone out of my head. Went back played some more and got it next day!

I've not had a lot of amps but some like a Mesa Boogie F30 I couldn't stand and quickly sold so I know what I like and the Quilter does a lot for me. I don't gig but I think it'd be a GREAT gig amp! Small, lightweight, loud and not super expensive

Quilter web site has the following quote:

"Having played my Quilter side–by–side with a variety of boutique tube amps and workhorses, such as the Fender Blues Junior and Peavey Classic 30, I’ve concluded that Quilters do not sound quite as good as tube amplifiers.
    In isolation and with an optimal electrical supply, quality tube amps deliver more warmth, character, and tonal predictability than my MicroPro, which sounds ever so slightly artificial in comparison. For low volume, solo electric guitar performances, I still use tube amps over the Quilter. That is, when I am willing to lug one around.

The electric guitar, however, is primarily an accompaniment instrument, meant to shine in the context of a band. In this respect, my MicroPro supersedes all but the very, very best tube amplifiers I’ve played."

Odd they think a Fender Blues Junior and Peavey Classic 30 are boutique amps but I think the point gets across.

TEX

4. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Sounds like the same old Ian T conspiracy theories and opinions to me :D

Jakedog and micpoc like this.
  5. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I went with the Mark DV Little GH 250, I like it but the reverb sounds a bit delay like if you turn it up too much.
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/dv-mark-little-gh-250-amp.835921/

A friend has a Quilter and we played them together, both sound good. I have not been gigging it, I just can't let go of my Princeton Reverb at gigs...

[​IMG]

Here is a youtube vid (not me)

SolidSteak likes this.
  6. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

7. SolidSteak

That quote is from an article called "Quilter Amps: The Tech Behind The Buzz" written by George Dyer on Reverb.com:
    https://reverb.com/news/quilter-amps-the-tech-behind-the-buzz

FWIW I mostly agree with the article, and yeah, like you said, the Blues Junior and Peavey Classic are more "workhorse" than "boutique."

bravescoob likes this.
  8. SolidSteak

Also I'm reading this thinking, "Huh? I was just playing guitar an hour ago, controlling the amount of breakup using picking dynamics and guitar volume... what is he talking about?"

bravescoob likes this.
  9. bravescoob

bravescoob Tele-Meister

A helpful demo for sure; thanks for sharing. This tone certainly sounds like it would work well for me.

10. bravescoob

bravescoob Tele-Meister

They aren't impressive to look at, and I agree that the caution tape design on top is gross. Still, for me, not too ugly to give a chance when it can fit in my pack or on my pedalboard.

11. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

A lot of guys are gigging with Quilter amps, the audience could care less what your amp looks like :)
    I have a MP MachII HD , it weighs about 21 lbs, it's plenty loud, my pedals sound great through the amp, it has a very good XLR DI out, works with any AC voltage USA or International, low voltage doesn't affect the tone.
    The Interblock 45 is pretty killer too for a basic unit.

IME the Quilters don't sound or react exactly like a tube amp, but they sound good and cut through the mix well, plus the other advantages I listed above.
    Over the decades I've had plenty of tube amps that I thought didn't really sound that great.
    I tried 3 different Boss Katana amps, and I prefer the Quilter over all of them.
    I have NO affiliation w Quilter by the way.
    I got turned on to them by my buddy who has been gigging regularly with first a Problock and the 2-8 Frontliner cab and now he has the MP Mach II 8" w a 1-12 ext cab that he doesn't need too often. He has several really good tube amps, and has owned all types of tube amps vintage and boutique, he gigs with a Quilter. That is what you will hear from a lot of Quilter owners.
    You can often find the Micropro combos used pretty reasonable too.

I think it's pretty silly to judge an amp, or guitar etc.. based on the looks only, but different strokes ....
    Technology moves on, except on some guitar forums ....

12. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I talked to a guy at the Quilter booth 2 NAMMs ago. He showed me a Optigan disk player with MIDI input he'd come up with. When the heck is THAT coming out I ask you!!!

13. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

I tried their 115 combo called the Steelaire, designed for pedal steel guitar.

I really want it to work. But in my opinion, it doesn't.

Too bright and not enough volume. It's supposedly a 200 watt amp.

It's about the same volume as a Deluxe Reverb RI on the edge of breakup. The DRRI is loud, but it's a 22 watt tube amp.

I think a Peavey Transtube Bandit sounds better. So does the Boss Katana.

And both of those are much less expensive... And the Katana head actually competes with the Quilters in terms of weight.

Good idea, but didn't quite achieve what was promised.

14. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

To the op.
    A quilter rig would be a good option for your described needs.
    I got a few of them and downsized my tube amp quiver as a result.

15. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

I have a Quilter 101 Mini head (50-100 watts) and a DV Mark 1x12 Neo cabinet. The combination of the two sounds excellent and weighs all of 18 pounds.

16. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

What we actually have is someone asking about a brand of amp and others expressing their opinions about said amps.

I think that you're being extremely disingenuous by classifying, "I am seriously considering buying a ProBlock200 from Quilter to use as my primary gig head. For those of you who have played it- how is the tone/response/volume?" as "shill marketing".

Have you ever owned a Quilter?

17. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

There seem to be two discussions here. One about shill/hype claims for SS amps, Quilter in particular ... the other about experiences with different Quilter amps.

I know little and care less about the hype aspect, same goes for broad stroke sentiments of the worth of SS vs. tube. Whereas the amps are rather interesting. I've owned 3 Quilters now. An Aviator head, a Mini 101, now an od200. The first two didn't work for me. Various reasons. Bottom line, there was some kind of nasal quality to the sound I couldn't get past.

The OD200 is quite different. That one ranks with the best of all the SS amps I've tried. It is tube-like in some ways, but of course not exactly that at all. It's what am amp can do that motivates me, not what it can't do, or how it compares to another class of amps. This one sounds very good, has diverse tones and can easily be set to get an edge of breakup kind of sound on the clean side alone. That versatile clean side is bottom line what sells me on the od200. No, it's not a tube amp. Doesn't have that spacious warmth I associate with tubes. What it does have I really like, and use alot.

18. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I played through one at Guitar Tex in San Antonio about a week ago.
    I liked it!
    I used it to check out a guitar (Larrivee RS4) I bought.
    The Quilter sounded good, but I doubt it could replace my Roland/Boss stuff.

19. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Sure if I was gigging and wanted a lightweight, compact, reliable thing to get the job done, it would probably be an option, but I just goof around in my music room and there's a certain aesthetic and sound that I want in there and that's where I'm at with it.

20. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Holic

"I think it's pretty silly to judge an amp, or guitar etc.. based on the looks only, but different strokes ....
    Technology moves on, except on some guitar forums ...."

That's nothing new at all. People have been judging Peavey amps by their looks and pointy logo for years. It's really helped to keep the used prices down on those old, reliable, great sounding work-horses approaching 30-50 years old!

Jakedog, Scooter91 and SolidSteak like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.