Quilter Amps- What Are Your Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by bravescoob, Jun 3, 2019.

1. bravescoob

bravescoob Tele-Meister

To build upon the recent solid state discussion... I am seriously considering buying a ProBlock200 from Quilter to use as my primary gig head. For those of you who have played it- how is the tone/response/volume?

I heard a full backline of Quilters when I saw Hikes live and was blown away, but haven't been able to play one myself yet. I do love the idea of being able to carry all my gear in one trip by fitting my amp and pedals in a backpack, also making it easier to tour in a small SUV.

2. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

I want to like them, but I can never get comfortable with the eq. It’s too focused on reproducing familiar amps. But I have a somewhat oddball idea of tone and am mostly a jazzbo

3. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Well, they're ugly AF, so that's where it begins and ends for me.

ce24 likes this.
  4. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

I've never played the ProBlock, but I have the Tone Block 200 and the Overdrive 200, and they are both great.

Re: tone - Some people don't like the Tri-Q EQ setup like what is on the Pro Block. It is less versatile than having Bass/Middle/Treble knobs. However, if you already have an EQ pedal on your board that can be used to shape the EQ curve anyway. I find the Tri-Q is a great setup for a pedal board since it won't let you add too much treble or cut too much bass. It lets you fine tune your sound at the pedal board. A Fuzz Face sounds fantastic through it, as do character pedals like the Tech21 Hot Rod Plexi. Without pedals though you are limited to either a "scooped" type of sound, or a more "mids" type of sound. I like that too though, because it's more plug and play.

Response: The amps respond to picking dynamics and the volume knob similarly to tube amps (and some other solid state amps), if that is what you are asking.

Volume: um, yes :D They are very loud.

Not sure what type of music you play, but here's a whole set by Surfer Joe playing a Jaguar through the Pro Block:

I assume he probably still uses his Bandmaster and 2x12 (or 15?) mostly and got the Quilter for more convenient traveling.

What cabinet are you playing through?

W.L.Weller and bravescoob like this.
  5. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

fyi
    There is a section devoted to amps..
    by the by

Dennyf, micpoc, ce24 and 2 others like this.
  6. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Holic

These are the types of marketing hype claims I find, frankly ridiculous. No, a Quilter or any other solid state amp does not respond like pushed power tubes. It can only emulate power tube distortion through the front end. If you can't tell the difference, then a Quilter is probably good for you. It's not even close

That clip of Surfer Joe is cool, but his tone is one dimensional clean and is not in that territory of pushed power tubes that solid state amps cannot replicate. If you don't seek the pushed power tubes, edge of breakup tones, than maybe solid state will work for you.

soundchaser59 and dogmeat like this.
  7. SolidSteak

You are being very specific with your claim that "No, a Quilter or any other solid state amp does not respond like pushed power tubes. It can only emulate power tube distortion through the front end." I am not sure what you mean by that, but that is not what I said.

Perhaps I was too vague, so let me re-state: the amp cleans up and distorts based on how hard you hit the strings, and by riding the guitar's volume knob, which is a thing that tube amps also do. There, is that better? I am not making a "marketing claim," I am merely trying to describe an amp, which is what the OP asked for.

Your level of vitriol for Quilter amps in particular continues to confuse me... in the past, you have even claimed that people posting comments about Quilter amps are paid by Quilter (an absurd idea, that a small company in California can pay people to troll guitar forums on the internet!) But I have never seen you comment like that about Orange, or Vox, or Roland, or any other company that makes solid state amps. Do you have a grudge against Quilter Labs in particular?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  8. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

there are tons of existing threads on this subject

jrblue likes this.
  9. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

I love my Quilter Route 101. Will probably never buy another tube amp.

bravescoob likes this.
  10. bravescoob

bravescoob Tele-Meister

Thanks for the feedback! I have an oversized 2x12 similar to Mesa's, and play post/math rock in our band. Hoping to emulate Fender cleans, so good news on the Quilter tones w scooped mids it sounds!

11. bravescoob

bravescoob Tele-Meister

I have an Orange that does the whole tube breakup thing really well, so the Quilter would be my clean pedal platform.

12. bravescoob

bravescoob Tele-Meister

Had not been to the amp section yet- thanks for heads up! Thought it was weird that I couldn't find anything on these...

uriah1 likes this.
  13. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

I have a Pro Block 200, and I like it a lot. I still prefer my old Bassman head, but I always bring the Quilter either as a backup amp or as the only amp for smaller gigs where the Bassman would be overkill. I use it mostly as a clean platform, not trying to get drive sounds from it alone. The controls of the Pro Block are not what I was used to, having used mostly old Fender amps, but I have a better sense of it now.

I kind of agree with @Bones above, who said they're too ugly to use. But I usually use mine with a gorgeous 1x12 extension cabinet made by Vintage 47 amps and tuck the Quilter block behind it. If that seems trifling, well live music is a performing art and the way I and the stage look are important parts of the performance.

Bones and bravescoob like this.
  14. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I’ve not tried the Pro-Block. I’ve tried a couple of the Aviators and Micro Pro combos. They were good to me, but not great. I don’t like super bright sounds, but I like a crisp high end response. To me, the high end was too dark and subdued. It made the whole thing sound a little “flat” to me. Just not as bouncy or lively as some other choices. I’m not a tube die hard by any means. I like lightweight and low maintenance solid state amps.

I ended up going DV Mark and doubt I’ll ever play anything else unless something comes along that I just like better. The power/tone/dynamics/price ratios are just off the charts with their amps. They’re doing some really cool stuff. I’ve been using mine for about 19 months now. That’s between 150-200 gigs with it. So I’m well past the honeymoon phase.

I would definitely try Quilter again. I haven’t hit all the models so they might have something I’d love. I just liked the DV better than the ones I’ve tried.

Tony474, JayFreddy and bravescoob like this.
  15. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I recently played my first quilter, a 101 reverb, and loved it. sounded like a blackface fender to my not-very-educated ears. and the portability is excellent.

bravescoob and Texicaster like this.
  16. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Like others, I really hate the way they look, and can't get beyond that. I have no objections to SS, though I find it a bit ridiculous when they try to emulate tube amps instead of doing their own thing. Quilters are, IMO, just the most butt-ugly, bad looking units. They may be great -- and one of my buddies loves his -- but they look like retro-junk. Life's too short to play ugly gear.

17. SolidSteak

Actually I just saw your post "Why won't Fender sell heads?" and if you are looking for that type of clean sound I would also check out the Quilter Reverb 101 mini:

A bit smaller than the Pro Block 200, but it has the bass/middle/treble controls instead of Tri-Q.

Either that, or for a few hundred more I'd imagine you can definitely find a nice Bassman head of some sort.

bravescoob likes this.
  18. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

For my needs the Interblock 45 is the ideal tool. Tone and touch response exceptional.

bravescoob likes this.
  19. SolidSteak

I think it's ridiculous that anyone would think they are trying to "emulate" tube amps... I can't find anything like that written on their website. Maybe there are some other solid state amps that are marketed that way, like digital modeling amps?

I am likewise not a fan of the MicroPro design, but the Aviator series wasn't too bad looking. As for the block amp heads... well, they're about as pretty as I'd expect a brick to look, yeah.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    Rich724 likes this.
  20. Garruchal

Garruchal Tele-Meister

I'm another dvmark fan. I would have gotten a quilter but they were more expensive. My dvmark micro 50 II is absolutely fantastic. My Princeton is my main amp, with the micro 50 in the bag as backup. In some ways, I think it should be the other way around.
    I'd like to a/b my dvmark with a quilter. I sort of expect more from the quilter but my amp is gold.

Jakedog, bravescoob and Mike Simpson like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.