Quilter 101, Crate Powerblock, or...?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by naveed211, Apr 20, 2021.

1. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Holic

I have used Quilter amps and the Power Block. My vote is for the latter---it has a decent basic tone and plenty of power for small $$$. The Quilters just had something missing to my ears.

uriah1 likes this.
  2. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Friend of Leo's

I play jazz & love my 101 (with a Strymon Flint). Haven't tried any of the others.

PhredE and naveed211 like this.
  3. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Holic

Yeah I have heard pedal steel players really like the Quilters, they do give a very nice clean, take pedals well and the OD sound just from the amp is pretty good too.

PhredE, JRapp and naveed211 like this.
  4. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I carried a Power Block as my backup when I was in the band. It is a useful piece of gear; 75 watts per channel stereo or 150 watts bridged.

My grab-and-go combo is a Quilter Aviator 1x8, 200 watts. It easily keeps up with large tube amps pushing two 12" speakers.

If you need moderate volume, check out the Traynor Quarter Horse (out of production now). It is a small, all-in-one pedal with reverb and drive/boost that makes 25 watts and can push a 12" cab with plenty of volume for small bar gigs.

If you are running a pedalboard and want a small amp that kicks huge butt making a clean signal, find a Gallien Kreuger MB200 bass head.

WHAT?

YES.

It's about 8" square and 2" tall, weighs two whole pounds, and has a silent cooling fan. These are perfect for driving a speaker signal from a guitar pedalboard when you need real window-rattling power. The really cool thing is they are not expensive second hand.

Bass amps are not just for bass.

PhredE, paulblackford and naveed211 like this.
  5. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Holic

I have the 101 Mini, non reverb model, and a 1x12 cab. It sounds great and i love playing through it. It is also very loud. I also got a Pro Block 200, with reverb, thinking more power might be better, but I like the various voices of the Mini better (have the 200 up for sale now actually).

Here is a band (not mine) using the 101 and a 1x12 in practice and it seems fine:

6. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I have the Mark DV Little 250. I think I paid $320 for it new. The reverb is a little delay sounding if turned up too much and the drive is ok but the clean is great through a good speaker.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    stormsedge and PhredE like this.
  7. thankyouguitar

thankyouguitar Tele-Meister

[​IMG]
    I like the Dayton Audio APA 150. 150 watts in bridged mono. You'll need to sort out a pre-amp but $160 free shipping from parts express is hard to argue with:https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-APA150-150W-Power-Amplifier-300-812

PhredE likes this.
  8. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Holic

Jim Soloway using the MB200

PhredE and Peegoo like this.
  9. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Here are the details at the YT page:

"Running through an Eric Johnson tune for the first time with the band. For this section of the song the guitar pickup is a neck position EMG 89XR in humbucker mode. RK5 Fly Rig is used for the OMG overdrive and delay, Sansamp section is off. Quilter 101 Mini is in FullQ mode, master is up somewhere around 15-20 watts. 1x12 cabinet is loaded with a very efficient Eminence Red Ryder. Our drummer is very loud, so I was worried about being heard with this tiny rig, but it's been working just fine."

...So there you go - he's using it with the master between 15-20 watts, with a loud drummer.

Too bad the Emi Red Ryder has apparently been discontinued. It looks like it was based off of a G12-80, just with a 120 watt rating. Anyway, proof of what you can do with a 101 Mini and a single efficient 12.

10. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My Crate Powerblock is probably 10 years old now...? I paid $59 shipped for it new. I take it as a back up. I haven't needed it but the bassist has used it a couple of times. Once we used it for a PA amp when we were in a fix. Best $60 I ever spent. i wouldn't pay today's used prices though. If a Quilter is $100 then sure get one..... or just buy an old Peavey SS for $100. Maybe a Bandit. they are indestructible.

PhredE and JRapp like this.
  11. USian Pie

USian Pie Tele-Holic

I don't recommend amps. It's too much like recommending a spouse. I have no idea what another guitar player needs or likes.

I bought a Quilter Tone Block 201 about 18 months ago. After I matched it to an Eminence Legend EM12N in an oversized Mesa 1x12 cab, I haven't turned on another amp except to make sure it still works.

I recently bought a used Tone Block 202, partly because "upgrade", partly because it was a deal.

On the 201, I got comfortable with the Voice and Tri-Q options. I can dial it in for different guitars very quickly. As others have said, with a good, broken-in speaker, the "Surf" setting is really nice. Someone described as a "Baby Twin" and I think that's dead on. It's also fun to switch to the "Tweed" setting sometimes.

On the 202, the Limiter makes a huge difference controlling spikes from my archtop. The archtop with the 202 may be my favorite electric sound. The direct out from the 202 is the best direct out I've heard from anything.

stormsedge, PhredE and naveed211 like this.
  12. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

If you have other tone-shaping devices already in the signal path, you might consider a Ganz SA500 “Straight Ahead” power amp, which is tiny and enough HP to be pretty serious driving a bass cab too:

D080073B-CA8B-4588-8577-E7EB3DE8F21E.jpeg

I’ve read some happy reviews about these on the steel guitar forum and at Talkbass. Including some mentions of prompt, helpful customer service. I e-mailed him to ask about current availability and whether I could get one with a Speakon output jack rather than a 1/4” jack, and he said build time was a couple of weeks.

I think they’re around $250, add about $20 for Speakon option. PM me if interested and I’ll try to dig up the contact info.

PhredE likes this.
  13. KnopflerStyle

KnopflerStyle Tele-Afflicted

Really like this one....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.