1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Quilter 101, Crate Powerblock, or...?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by naveed211, Apr 20, 2021.

1. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

I’m looking for an affordable (under $250 used), small, light, and relatively powerful clean platform. I’ll be running into a 1x12 with a Vintage 30.

Anyone have experience with the Quilter 101 or the Crate Powerblock especially in a live/rehearsal setting? What are your thoughts? Any other similar amps with similar power you’d recommend?

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

3. naveed211

I’ve considered the pedal as amp route, but I’d realistically need 100 solid state watts to stay clean and be loud enough. We’ll at least be rehearsing unmiked.

blowtorch likes this.
  4. blowtorch

What style of music?

5. naveed211

Shoegaze type stuff.

I also just realized the Quilter is only 50 watts. Not sure that’ll cut it...

Im only going into one 70 watt speaker so it’s not like I’m going to be cranking these things, I just need headroom and to be heard.

6. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

The Quilter 101 has a handful of voice choices. I believe two of these run at 100 watts. These amps are plenty loud for your average stage (unless the drummer can’t hold it together).

Mowgli and jays0n like this.
  7. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

I have a DV Mark Micro 60 Jazz that is nothing but clean. It will crank on a 1x12, BUT I do not have experience with it in the setting you describe. I also have a Quilter 201 with a Jazz setting basically cutting out all the gain and increasing the headroom for big cleans...it is rated at 200w and would do the trick. Unfortunately, both are over your budget on the used market right now (although I was able to purchase them each on sale at ~$250 new). I see a couple of Quilter 200s on a used search right around $250...maybe your local GC can ship them in for a test drive?

Mowgli and That Cal Webway like this.
  8. johnDH

johnDH Tele-Meister

I still have a PowerBlock, it's a useful piece of kit. It does a solid clean or mid-range drive, not as much character as a tube amp but no nasties either. You can bridge its two stereo channels to do 150W into 8Ohms. We used it with 16 Ohm V30 cab, where I think it would do maybe 80W. Plenty loud enough for loud party gigs.

9. naveed211

Hmmm, there is a Quilter 200 for $250 GC used, maybe I should pounce on it.

10. naveed211

That’s good to know. Did it stay clean even at higher volumes? Pedals sound good through it? I pretty much have effects on all the time, at the very least compression and reverb, usually delay and others, so it’s not like I need the most impossibly gorgeous 3D clean tone, just a good loud one.

11. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

My buddy had the crate power block . We always left in van in case any of our tube
    amps took a dive. Now, I have quilter 45 as a backup but not electric giggin anyway.

The crate was actually not bad.

naveed211 likes this.
  12. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

I do not know what GC's policy is on used returns, but if they handle it like new stuff--what's the harm in trying it?

naveed211 likes this.
  13. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

Apparently, these are becoming popular with some jazz players:
    https://www.tcelectronic.com/product.html?modelCode=P0DI5
    (about $150 -- if/when you can find one in stock)

14. blowtorch

IME you end up eating shipping costs.
    Which may or may not be a deciding factor as to whether one wants to risk it

I know some guys have reported having worked out sweetheart deals with their local GC in which they can order stuff and try it out and send it back free of charge, but that's not worked out for me

stormsedge likes this.
  15. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Holic

I have a Quilter 101, it is my fav amp after the 5E3, I have the original unit with no reverb and it is an excellent amp.
    Never used Crate so I don't have an opinion there.

Also Quilt 101 goes to 100 watts in some settings, the others are 50 watts, additionally the FRFR Quilter Interblock is nice if you run modeling, I use 2 of them for a modeling stereo set up (sounds great).

jays0n, naveed211 and PhredE like this.
  16. johnDH

johnDH Tele-Meister

Yes definitely clean and loud if you want it.

Another way to use it is you can directly feed into its two power Amps, bypassing the preamp. Some folk used it with modellers that way.

As i noted, the 16ohm cab was reducing its power, in theory, but actually it was plenty. There's more available into 8 ohms

naveed211 likes this.
  17. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I also have the non-reverb 101 Mini. Pretty sure it's the jazz and surf voicings that are indeed 100 watts.

If someone can turn either of those voicings up to where they get dirty, gawd help them.

I used to run mine with a 1X12, first with an Eminence Swamp Thang, and then with a Celestion BN12-300S. Both gave me great loud cleans. The ST was better for when things got dirty, but the BN12-300S on the surf setting (no drive pedals or anything) was really remarkable. I think it could have made for the most portable pedal steel amp for just a few hundred bucks.

Mowgli and USian Pie like this.
  18. moskasound

moskasound TDPRI Member

19. naveed211

Nice, knowing it can go to 100 watts sold me on it. I just ordered a used one on GC in my price range. Hopefully it’ll be good!

drlucky and That Cal Webway like this.
  20. moskasound

moskasound TDPRI Member

Haven’t tried the 101, but I’ve got the Quilter 200. I run it thru a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, one 12” cab. Phenomenal is how I would describe the sound. Plenty loud for just about any stage. Plenty of headroom clean or dirty. I prefer it to my Fender tube amps.

naveed211 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.