Quilt Maple For A FB?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by torodurham, Feb 26, 2020.

1. torodurham

torodurham Tele-Meister

Beautiful work..any idea on the body color?

2. torodurham

torodurham Tele-Meister

Stayed with the blackwood FB..body color...yeeeah...maybe blk sanded back..maybe natural..hard to pick..as always.

3. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Why not?

[​IMG]

4. torodurham

torodurham Tele-Meister

Decided to go with a sanded back black with black over for color. Always loved that black figured top with masked binding look. Walnut is dark so a pretty complimentary match..maybe add a black dye to the grain filler for walnut.. 20200317_172325.jpg 20200317_121939.jpg

5. Slowtwitch

Slowtwitch Tele-Meister

I'd be cautious using a soft wood for a FB, esp. if you like string bending all the time.

I_build_my_own likes this.
  6. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Woah, holy wood figure, Batman!

7. torodurham

torodurham Tele-Meister

I didn't use the quilt..went with african blackwood.

Slowtwitch likes this.
  8. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

I am certainly no expert on woods/applications, but have read several times that figured maple, is quite a bit softer than the "unfigured" hard rock maple used in most necks. At the same time, I've seen lovely examples of flamed or Birdseye maple 1 piece necks. (meaning neck & fingerboard are not separate pieces. If they are indeed softer, that just means the wood will divot a bit faster than a hard rock maple fingerboard. Since it's a bolt on neck anyway, I would go ahead and give it a go...it's really a beautiful piece of wood!

9. Peltogyne

Peltogyne Tele-Afflicted

From what I know, figured maple can be any Acer species. Figuring is theoretically less stiff because the grain is not straight but it will retain the same density and hardness as unfigured maple of the same species. But maybe not the same modulus of elasticity. When I see an old Fender neck that warped it will often be right on a figured section of an otherwise straight grained neck.

Soft maples (anything but sugar maple) are where we get much of the flamed stuff so that may be why you heard it's softer. In general birdseye will be sugar maple and quilted will be pacific big leaf, the 2 extremes of maple density.

Some people call birdseye quilted as it can also have that look in addition to the birdseyes. Just to make things more muddled ;)

10. GotTheSilver

GotTheSilver Tele-Meister

I see you have already decided to go with the African blackwood, but I was going to joke that you should go all out and do a bookmatched fingerboard! With its own burst! That would be so awesome!!!

Seriously, though, I would have been very tempted to do the FB in maple, do a light burst on the top, and continue the darker color of the edge of the burst for the entire fretboard. This could have looked pretty cool.

Also, I really like the idea of the blackwood fingerboard with block inlays made of the quilted maple!

11. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

That was my first thought on seeing the black wood. Then add the veneer to the headstock . . .
    It's all sexy though . . . killer job love the roundover on the body

12. torodurham

torodurham Tele-Meister

Got some clear on today..starting to look pretty classy. 20200321_145547.jpg 20200321_145609.jpg

13. Peltogyne

Peltogyne Tele-Afflicted

That's looking very hot.

14. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Wow, once you get the rest of the clear on, get it leveled and polished, that thing is going to turn heads 360º+!!

15. torodurham

torodurham Tele-Meister

Finished the build today..very happy..sounds and looks terrific. A very personal guitar..#40 and made from great grand fathers bed..love the color too.. 20200401_205823.jpg 20200402_134515.jpg 20200401_205932.jpg

16. Peltogyne

Peltogyne Tele-Afflicted

Top notch work!

17. devrock

devrock Tele-Meister

I have several quilted maple builds in the pipeline and agree 100% with this sentiment. Having a dark board (pick something beautiful, like a heavily-striped Macassar ebony) seems to compliment the look much better. Again, everyone's taste is different, so always got with what you like.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  18. devrock

devrock Tele-Meister

That top is UNREAL!!! Wow!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.