Quilt Maple For A FB?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by torodurham, Feb 26, 2020.

1. torodurham

torodurham Tele-Meister

I have an option..if possible..of using a piece of the drop top set I used for a Tele body top.
    It has a real nice 5A figure to it..but never used quilt maple for a FB before..too soft to hold frets? Anyone ever used it? 20200226_200756.jpg

Zepfan, DarkshipDan and ale.istotle like this.
  2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know why that wouldn't work.

3. torodurham

torodurham Tele-Meister

This is the body. 20200226_201324.jpg

4. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

ahhh - that body is a thing of beauty - how do you plan to finish body, fb and headstock?

Peace - Deeve

5. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

the only thing negative when you would succeed to let the quilt pop out, no one can look at you in the spotlight, ore they would have to use sunglasses :lol::lol:

6. tah1962

tah1962 Tele-Afflicted

Man that body is a beauty! Best of luck finishing your project.

7. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

It's a thing of beauty for sure, well done!
    With the matching fretboard it could be a bit over the top, so I would embrace the look fully and match the finish on the fretboard with the one on the top. A kind of tuxedo "black beauty" look, but more Vegas than Salt Lake City.

8. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

That would be an additional stunning element for that beautiful instrument! It's maple. It will hold the frets just fine.

Steve Holt likes this.
  9. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

I agree that it is stunning but there is a possibility of blowing the whole effect if you use different finishes on the body and the neck. I might consider using the quilt to make a head plate and then doing the f/b in a contrasting wood like rosewood. Particularly if you are thinking about any stain or color on the body that you wouldn't put on the f/b.

10. torodurham

torodurham Tele-Meister

Thank you all for your highly regarded comments! First and foremost was the issue of using quilt maple as a FB for the same reasons you mention..." a bit over the top" is something I thought also..kinda on the fence about using it..I have an African blackwood FB coming and might very well use that..finish matching was another point I was concerned about and thought your points on that were spot on about getting it matched..I was thinking that it could look very good as a "natural" color scheme.
    Quilt FB is .230 thick and fairly flexible compared to most FB I have used... a little nervous about it since I haven't tried it before.

11. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted

That is an awesome body, maybe you could build 2 necks and decide after. Either way it will be a looker!

12. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Meister

No different than birds eye which is quite popular. Wow dude that's stunning! Do it!

13. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Yes I have used it and yes, it is fine.

Gorgeous build! As far as colors and contrasts, I tend to also like to look at the neck color, which looks to be the same as the body. Will a dark fretboard clash with the neck?

Eric

14. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Just as a technicality, quilted maple is typically the softer western big leaf maple while birdseye is almost exclusively eastern hard maple. Curly maple figuring occurs in both. That said, go ahead and use it. On a guitar, most fretboards don't get a whole lot of abrasive contact, so you don't need something like ebony on a violin to resist the wear of the strings. I'm using some quarter sawn sycamore for a fretboard right now, and it's pretty soft, so I am using CA to make the surface fibers a little stronger.

Peltogyne likes this.
  15. Freeman Keller

I have sort of a similar dilemma - I'm building a double necked guitar out of some really lovely quilted maple and I've decided to make the head plates out of cutoffs from the body, and use rosewood for the fretboard and all the trim (binding, p/u rings, knobs, probably the truss rod cover). I have been 90 percent sure that the finish will leverage the wonderful amber highlights that I get when I wipe solvent on the top, but there is about a 10 percent chance I'll do something totally off the wall like a deep red to amber stain. I've kept enough scrap to experiment as I get closer.

The point is that the rosewood ads only one contrasting color that I think will compliment the body what ever way I go.

When I look at your fretboard it is stunning but unless it is finished exactly the same as the rest of the guitar it might fight it. I also don't know what your plans are for inlay and/or binding but its possible that those things could also fight the quilt. Touch call, either way its going to be stunning.

16. torodurham

torodurham Tele-Meister

Boy..tough one..a unique opportunity to use a matching FB..but leaning towards the blackwood...better tone tap..stronger..does look good too..quilt is a bit over the top...for me...what do you think? 20200228_123326.jpg 20200228_123348.jpg

Jim_in_PA and Captain Nutslot like this.
  17. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

What color will the body be? If the body is going to be a little darker, I would go natural on the fretboard. If the body is going to be lighter, I would go with the blackwood.

18. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Make 2 necks man
    ... or block quilted maple inlays in the black wood o_O

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    DrASATele, Peltogyne and rickthescot like this.
  19. GeminiCG

GeminiCG Tele-Meister

Now that is a good idea. The contrast will be great and the unity between the fingerboard and body will be there.

20. Freeman Keller

Here is the quilted maple guitar I'm currently working on - the headstocks are cutoffs of the body and were resawn and book matched. Bound in rosewood to match the rosewood fretboard. Body and f/b are bound in rose, and I'm going to use rosewood knobs and p/u rings.

IMG_6018.JPG

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.