Quilt maple, faux masked binding tru oil burst

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by MarkA, Apr 3, 2020.

1. MarkA

MarkA TDPRI Member

After a couple experimental builds I think I’ve finally established a good, simple method for doing that masked binding effect using only tru oil and colortone stain. This is my first classic style burst, vintage amber, cherry and tobacco... seems to have turned out well, a fantastic quilt top helps for sure! I’ve got about 7 coats of tru oil on and it’s starting to look decent, I could have prepped the body better and the fade to red could have been more gradual.... next time. A01750E3-7752-484F-A031-EE5AAC7CA0F8.jpeg 78B0839A-0B5F-430A-9EE6-89503B0907C0.jpeg 5270855E-6ADD-4577-B0C7-30E198F909B3.jpeg 95EB484A-7EB4-4332-B384-A03C2D6B8A9B.jpeg 8FE0CE72-DD37-498E-AB05-0E4CA4CF0172.jpeg A01750E3-7752-484F-A031-EE5AAC7CA0F8.jpeg

2. Dobronaut

Dobronaut Tele-Meister

Truly beautiful!

MarkA likes this.
  3. Jmwright777

Jmwright777 TDPRI Member

Very nice finish! Any chance on you sharing your procedures for this process?

po-boy and MarkA like this.
  4. MarkA

MarkA TDPRI Member

Thanks! I’d be happy too, will do tomorrow. I think my method is slightly different from most but it’s dead easy and the edges are clean.

po-boy and Jmwright777 like this.
  5. TelenTubes

TelenTubes Tele-Holic

Beautiful! Looks like you could go swimming in that top.

MarkA likes this.
  6. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

That's a gorgeous project you've got under way, @MarkA

Stay at it and share the final results when completed.

Peace - Deeve

MarkA likes this.
  7. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

That’s really gorgeous!

MarkA likes this.
  8. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

Beautiful indeed, and really mesmerizing too!
    I love the transition a bit abrupt between the colours, it gives it more character than the typical burst. An interesting mix between high-end-PRS and low-fi-Danelectro in a good way.

MarkA and tubegeek like this.
  9. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Afflicted

That top and finish is getting me all hot and bothered- just gorgeous! I wonder where Mama is....;):p

MarkA likes this.
  10. tubegeek

tubegeek Tele-Afflicted

Damn that's a nice chunk o'wood - and I like what you've done with it a lot. Would definitely like to know more about the faux binding process.

I keep seeing Frog masking tape advertised - anybody know if that stuff delivers what it promises? They claim it prevents bleeding under the edges better than blue painter's tape.

MarkA likes this.
  11. MarkA

MarkA TDPRI Member

thanks!
    I have not personally had excellent results with masking tape, I bought some premium 3m stuff which was ok but still had bleeding under. I will post my tape less method which seemed a lot less finnicky to me and no bleed issues. But I’m not spraying any finish so that may make the tape work better for those who are.

tubegeek likes this.
  12. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Beautiful!

MarkA likes this.
  13. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

Mark, that is stunning. I have not (yet) done a faux binding but I do a heck of a lot of wood - often maple and almost always with some wood purfling lines. I have struggled for a long time on how to do stains, yet keep the binding and purfling from absorbing it. Lately I've been fairly successful painting vinyl sealer on to protect it, then scraping back, but I will be very interest in seeing exactly how you did that.

It is also one of the nicer TruOil finishes I have seen. I tried and rejected it a while back because I just didn't think it compared well to lacquer, but that may cause me to rethink.

MarkA likes this.
  14. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

That is really beautiful. Please don't forget to post some pics of the completed guitar!

MarkA likes this.
  15. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted

That looks great, I have always been a sucker for quilted Maple.

MarkA likes this.
  16. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

That’s some beautiful body there.

MarkA likes this.
  17. MarkA

MarkA TDPRI Member

So here is the process I used on this one, open to suggestions to improve for sure.

P3290207.JPG So first, I sand and scrape all the scratches out of the body using 220, deep scratches are hit with coarser paper. I go with the direction of the grain, since I am a noob I use a blade to scrape to find which direction scrapes smoothly and I scrape/sand in that direction for each section, it changed every few inches some parts I scrape up, others scrape down... its fairly obvious when its right... when its wrong it jitters and jumps.

P3290211.JPG

Next time I will spend more time here, any little scratch will pop once the oil hits it, I find hitting it with air compressor to remove dust, then wiping with alcohol or Naptha and looking in sunlight works best for me to see the problems... I still missed a few

P3290214.JPG

I like to do a spoon cut on both sides the lower bout for increased access and I like the visual, I simply rasp this away until I like it, then sand with 80 to get rid of deep scratches and again through to 220 until it looks clean.

Now that my sanding is complete and all scratches removed (I missed some small ones, regret not spending an extra hour here) I do the back and sides with first coat of tru-oil. I've failed with tru-oil a LOT in the past (very frustrating), for me, a coffee filter and super small amount rubbed like crazy seems to work best, then I grab a fresh filter once it's feeling a bit sticky and rub more almost trying to get rid of it all. The first coat shows some blotches (wood is not all the same) but after 3 rounds of this, it starts looking uniform.

In this case, the body has a round-over, so I make sure to tru oil the sides and get the round over all the way to the very top of the flat maple surface, some tru oil gets onto the flat part, its ok, I'd rather be over than under here. I then use a sanding block and scraper (razor blade) to remove all of the tru oil from the flat surface right up to the edge of the round-over, this tru oil protected round-over will be my faux binding.

I raised the grain with water on a damp rag and scraped/sanded back until the grain stopped raising when wet. Took about 3 reps.

I started with a layer of Vintage Amber mixed with a little bit of tobacco to help the quilt pop. I made a slightly more tobacco heavy mix and did around the edges creating a tobacco burst. I was going to stop here and probably should have, it looked great! But I was having fun and wanted to try the classic 3 tone burst. At this point, many parts of the tru-oil on the faux binding portion were starting to get stained.
    P3310225.JPG

So next I mixed up some Cherry and some black/tobacco and went at it, I was pretty sure at this point I may have ruined everything.
    P3310228.JPG

The binding was popping a lot more now that I had some darker stain around the outside so I was happy with that... Started sanding the centre portion to even/smooth out the burst, I also should have spent more time here... but it will do.

P3310232.JPG

By Now the faux binding is looking super dirty (as you can see above), so its time to scrape the top round over and get it looking clean all the way around. This was surprisingly fast, only a few minutes, below you can see the scraped edges (lighter color on top from the warmer looking tru oil finished part below). P3310242.JPG
    P3310244.JPG

Once I was happy with the faux binding look I simply apply tru oil using a coffee filter to the faux binding edge first that was scraped, wiping towards the top just incase and stain from the flat surface decides to move... I check the filter regularly, if I see any sign of color I grab a fresh filter.

Then it's just a matter of tru oil on the filter and rub down the entire top the same method I used on the back. All the while I hit the sides and binding area at will as I go.

Thats my method in as much detail as I could think of, probably nothing new, but as I say I have failed in the past to get this right. This order of operations seems to work for me.

Attached Files:

RiversQC and tubegeek like this.
  18. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

Thanks Mark

MarkA likes this.
  19. Bikersluggo

Bikersluggo Tele-Holic

That thing looks like hot coals when they're ready for the burgers to go on...

MarkA likes this.
  20. MarkA

MarkA TDPRI Member

hahah nice

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.