Quieting Down a Pignose G40V

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Platefire, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

For any Pignose G40V owners out there who have a loud hum when you crank up your Master Volume. That has been a problem with mine since I got it used in 2006. It has really just sat in a closet all these years mostly because I like a quiet amp and can't stand a loud hum.

Well I have now got mine quieted down sounding great and more usable than ever. It is quiet as a mouse and has better tone than ever.

What did I do? I bypassed the extra gain stage V1B and that did it. I didn't figure that out myself but was suggested by another Amp Tech guy that helps me on a lot of my projects.

It was pretty simple. Disconnect the output grid from V1B by disconnecting the green wire going to V2A input grid pin #2. Cap it off with some shrink wrap. Run a jumper wire(hookup wire) from C21 at the junction
    of C21 and Volume pot output to V2A pin #2 where you disconnected previous green wire.

I will post the schematic my friend made for me. He shows also disconnecting R14 and R15, but I didn't do that. I just left them connected. One thing I should say also is I use a 12AY7 in V1.

So basically the G40V is a JCM-800 2204 with 6L6's. After this mod it will be a Plexi with 6L6's. IMHO, this makes it a lot more usable amp for my purposes and very happy with it now. Platefire
    Sluckey Suggested Experment.jpg

hoggy likes this.
  2. Timmay

Timmay TDPRI Member

Hmm. Interesting. Thanks for the post. I've been thinking about buying another G40V. I had one years ago, and it's one of the few amps I regret selling. Awesome little grab and go amp with plenty of volume to hang with a loud drummer. I had a weber Chicago in mine and it sounded GLORIOUS cranked up. Mine had a little hum, but not too bad.

3. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

People do that when they want to get a clean channel. It's kind of like a Bassman now.

4. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Meister

If you replace C12 with a 470pF 250v if gives more stretch to the treble control. At the moment it can be a bit 'boxy' sounding.

5. Javier668

Javier668 TDPRI Member

A new cap job i think was you needed.

6. Platefire

If it was bad caps, it wouldn't be silent now. I like a MV amp that if you want to, you can turn the MV up full and just use your preamp volume like a vintage amp. I couldn't before but now I can. I read other post from G40V users that got a lot of noise when they turned their MV up---so this is a possible fix for those if you really don't need that extra gain and want it more clean and quiet. I play clean and use pedals for dirt. This made the amp usable for me, for others it may be no good. Platefire

7. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for posting about the Pignose. I was beginning to think they had gone from the endangered list to extinct. I have both the G40V and the G60VR.

If memory serves me, they were built with a ground loop on the small board that holds the artificial CT. The grounding and heater wiring can be cleaned up as well. I haven't been inside the G40V for a while so I don't remember exactly what I did to the little beast. I run 12ax7s and a 12at7 for the PI and 5881 power tubes.

I modded my G40V to be more 5f6a with some JTM character. I call it my Mini-Marshall. With a little boost the OD has that great Marshall sound. No OD pedals needed.

The G60VR is still stock.

I have my G40V dead quiet. This looks like an interesting mod though. You have me thinking of a possible Plexi on a switch. Hmm.

8. Platefire

I was seriously considering making mine switchable but after considering it a few days decided I would never use it. Especially considering it would be bringing that old hum back. If I ever change my mind I could still go back and make it switchable but right now I'm just totally happy with it as is. I was thinking of using a SPDT switch. Have the center pole wire going to V2A Pin #2, one end pole with the jumper wire going to it and the other end pole the output grid of V1B going to it. Here is a schematic of it(attached).
    Switchable G40V Gain Stage.jpg

The main mod I did to my Pig was built another speaker baffle so my G40V could take a 12" speaker.
    The original pig speaker was shot. It also had the original Chinese tubes, that I changed out. The reason I want to keep it because its small size and portability yet powerful, makes it a good grab and go amp.
    In my Senior way that works real good:>) Here is also some picture of the speaker and baffle mod. Platefire
    6d82bc6b-56d3-4561-be91-bd53707a2ef5.png

ddd7dbab-4934-4dc3-987e-9e6804089dfc.png
    5a75fffb-1185-4de8-97dc-e4fea0925b46.png

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  9. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Tele-Afflicted

Same here. The weight and small footprint makes it perfect for quick jam sessions. It has more than enough power to handle anything I do. If it only had onboard reverb...

I still have the original speaker. I was thinking of putting a 12" on a different speaker baffle, but recently I heard that a Celestion G10 vintage is a good match. I'm not sure I will pull the trigger as the original works with the mods I have done.

10. Platefire

If you ever decide to make yours switchable, please let me know how it turned out. Reverb would be nice but I can get by with just a slap back delay just fine. Platefire

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.