Quietest Compressor Pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by LKNJ, Jun 25, 2020.

1. cottontails1959

cottontails1959 TDPRI Member

Same ... volume at 11 o'clock, blend at 1 o'clock

8trackmind likes this.
  2. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Sustain lower / volume higher. Hit the front end of the amp harder.

LKNJ likes this.
  3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I borrowed three top compressors from my best friend while he was in EP recording mode for two years. No question in my mind is that the more expensive the compressor pedal, the quieter. My belief is that the compressor pedal should be your most expensive one on your board. The Cali76 is the gold standard and at quite a lower price level (but still spendy) is the Empress. Next one down in price is probably the Diamond.

4pickupguy and That Cal Webway like this.
  4. ahiddentableau

ahiddentableau Tele-Meister

Forgive me if what I'm about to say is obvious, but based on what you said in your first message you prefer a dyna-comp style compressor. This makes sense to me: they have a great tonal signature. But that style of compressor is always going to have significant noise. It's just the nature of the design: it's going to raise the high-end of the signal. That's how it functions. So the Wampler is about is good as you can do on the noise front for that style of comp.

As mentioned, there are other styles of compressor like the Diamond or the Cali76 (both are opto, I believe) that can be quieter. But they aren't going to do the dyna thing in any pure sense--the juicy country response thing is kind of the house special for the dyna-comp types (Keeley, Wampler, CS2/3, etc). Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of great comps that aren't dyna-comp style, but if it's the juicy country thing you're after you may not get what you want from any other style of compressor.

5. Daddy Hojo

Daddy Hojo Friend of Leo's

I think i got one of these a few years back on your recommendation. It's incredible at any price point. I certainly have never felt like I need more from a compressor than what the Compress X offers.

6. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

that's great info. Thanks!

7. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

If you don’t like the hiss try an optical compressor like the Diamond or the Orange Kongpressor.

They do have a different more transparent tone but they’re much quieter.

I’ve owned the Kongpressor and the Keeley Compressor+ and while the Keeley definitely puts a nice EQ on the guitar it does hiss like crazy. I tried the Xotic and it seemed hissy as well. The Kongpressor keeps quiet until you stack up some serious gain with it. It’s still very quiet into a dirty amp, but if you turn on a raging fuzz or a big muff then you’ll hear the compressor bringing up the noise from the other pedal.

The Dyna-Comp/Ross style are really intended for an ultra clean setup as far as I can tell, that’s where they shine, that and the whole country sound.

On the contrary the Kongpressor sounds more funk to me.

LKNJ likes this.
  8. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

My Boss CS-3 was very hissy. But, I have old wiring in my house. I replaced it with a BBE Bench Press. It is very quiet.

LKNJ likes this.
  9. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Holic

i use my cs3 after overdrive.no noise issues.i always read guys complain about noise.made me a little leery but after 10 yrs i am still a fan.may try the mooer some time.

10. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Meister

Engineer's thumb 5 knob version cost 30€ to build, and is really quite even when used as a limiter.

11. green_henry

green_henry TDPRI Member

I can only compare it to an MXR DynaComp, Roland rack unit, and several Boss compressors, but my Carl Martin is very quiet.

12. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I've had the Diamond and Empress and both were great compressors. I've also owned a Keeley, Ego and a multitude of others. The Cali76 CD is whats on my board now and will never come off. Not the most expensive on the board though. Its actually the least expensive. The Kingsley Minstrel, the page and memory lane2 all cost more. And the last pedal to go on this board the Neo mini vent 2 will also cost more.

13. RobertKeeley

RobertKeeley TDPRI Member Vendor Member

The Keeley Compressor Plus and our GC-2/Bassist/Compressor Pro are much different styles of compression, and have vastly different noise levels. The Comp Plus is a country compressor for sure, and with the blend control, can be quiet-ish. The Compressor Pro/GC-2/Bassist are compressor limiters and really don't make noise. By their nature, would be as quiet if not quieter than any other compressor out there. Truly silent. But, they don't offer sustain/expansion like the Comp Plus.

14. Javier668

Javier668 TDPRI Member

I have tc electronic Hyper Gravity great pedal!

LKNJ likes this.
  15. deus56

deus56 TDPRI Member

This one ticked all the boxes for me.
    [​IMG]

KC and LKNJ like this.
  16. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

thanks for the info, appreciate you responding to this thread. Like I said in the OP, the Compressor Plus is my favorite sound compressor (other than the noise), and I’m not a country player.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.