1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Quiet High E

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by SonicDiveBomb, Jan 17, 2015.

1. SonicDiveBomb

SonicDiveBomb Tele-Meister

It's not really a thing extremely noticeable, but I can tell my high E is slightly quieter than my B for instance. It's most apparent when wearing earplugs or headphones. It sounds absolutely fine when played acoustically and the nut and saddles are fine. Is it just because it is the thinnest string that it might not be quiet as thick as the B strings sound?

Also on my other non-telecaster guitars (jaguar) this isn't really apparent

2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Probably a pickup height issue, both should be closer to the high E than the low E.

Do both pickups have the same issue?
    Raise the pickup on the high E side and see if it helps.

3. Bush Wiebe

Bush Wiebe Tele-Meister

I have that on one of my guitars as well. The high E with the bridge pickup is a lot quieter than the rest, quite noticeably so. On the neck pickup all the strings play same volume. It's the only guitar I've ever owned that does it.
    No idea why.:neutral:

4. SonicDiveBomb

Yeah it seems a lot worse on my bridge pup! Very strange

I tried raising the high E side of the bridge humbucker and that seemed to help just a little. I'll try to raise it just a little more and hopefully get it even.

5. telemnemonics

A common starting point is (with the string fretted at the highest fret) one nickel thickness between pickup and high E, and two nickels low E.
    So if your pickup is already pretty high, you may actually need to lower the low E side.
    I set my pickups closer than a nickel on high E and further than two nickels low E, you can go extreme and adjust back 'till it's right for you.

6. SonicDiveBomb

I find it strange that it's only the E though. Wouldn't the B be quiet as well? The B is balanced with the rest of the strings

7. telemnemonics

Could be other issues, like the fact that a Gibson pickup has narrower pole spacing than Fender, and if it's off center a little the pole piece may not quite be under the string.
    Or maybe the B screw is raised more than the E.
    Or possibly the bar magnet under the pickup is a little short at the E end of the pup.
    The pickup height is just the most likely issue to give a good amount of attention to.
    Did you adjust the pup enough to get an obvious change?
    You should be able to make the high E louder than all other strings by lowering the low E side, and then raise the low E side 'till it balances.
    If you can't make the high E loudest, there must be another issue with pickup or bridge or who knows what.

I also find that amp settings go hand in hand with pickup adjustment.
    With the low E side of the pup higher, the bass needs to be set lower at the amp.
    Lowering the low E side of the pup allows me to turn up the bass more on the amp, which also adds mids to the overall sound.
    So if you just lower the low E side of the pup and don't turn up the bass on the amp, it will sound wrong tonally, even though the strings balance volume wise.

8. SonicDiveBomb

I'll try this out now. I'm using lace sensors so it's probably a huge pain to adjust the pole pieces. But yeah, I'll lower my Low E and see what that does

9. telemnemonics

I just edited my prev post re: amp settings that may help with adjustments.
    Lace sensor humbuckers?
    Pole spacing should be right then.

10. SonicDiveBomb

Yep a red humbucker in the bridge, but a blue single in the neck. Seems the blue is fine though.
    I'm going to try to make it close to my jag, as that guitar is perfectly balanced. Just by looking at it, you can't tell anything is off, but I'll check it with a ruler and apply those settings to my tele.

11. SonicDiveBomb

Still haven't found a fix. I believe it may be the pickup.

12. Tel E Twister

Tel E Twister Tele-Meister

For some reason that IDK, B strings have more output and often step on the high E string output.
    Also, a low break angle at the saddle can make a string sound weak.
    Is this on your top loader with the hammer saddle ?

13. SonicDiveBomb

Yep. But like I said, my other tele with the same bridge sounds fine. The string definitely sounds noticeably weaker. Should I try raising the saddle? It's a very small bit lower on this tele the on the one that is working fine

I'm thinking it has to be the break angle or something wrong with the electronics. The E sounds rather tinny when played with a downstroke and normal with an upstroke. Could this be a sign of a crappy break angle at the saddle?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.