Quickest, most affordable way to make two T-style partscasters not redundant.

_MementoMori_

Friend of Leo's
I've got two T-style partscasters - one with ultra cheapo parts and one with ultra expensive parts, but both are otherwise nearly identical: 3 way switching, standard T pickups in the neck and bridge, vintage 3 saddle bridges, string-thru-body.

One is fully copper shielded and one isn't shielded at all. One has brass saddles and one has threaded steel saddles. They have different body woods. But I'd like to do something if I can to make them radically different with minimal effort. I love the idea of converting one to an Esquire-type but they both have pickguards that I love and I'm superficial like that. Anything else I can do on the cheap to make a big sonic difference?

Last edited:

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
You could put some ultra high gain pickups into one if you’re into metal at all. I like Bare Knuckle’s stuff.

Otherwise, Bigsby one of them!

_MementoMori_

Friend of Leo's
Really low cost way to make one different is 4 way switch. Especially low cost if you solder it yourself.

This is definitely the budget level I'm thinking along the lines of, as much as I'd love to turn one of them into a snarling metal Tele with super hot pickups. I love that idea but Bareknuckles are not in the cards right now.

regularslinky

Tele-Afflicted
You can get a long way toward "snarling metal" with T-sized rail humbuckers. DiMarzio is reasonable (I like the Chopper T especially with the stratty Twang King neck), GFS is cheap (but shipping adds up) or you can probably find used on Ebay or Reverb for even less.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
If it was me I'd replace the bridge pickup I liked least with one a little different from the one I like best.
I play Esquires so can't comment on neck pickups, but bridge tones I sometimes want the clear bright and other times want a little hotter fatter darker.
That's my two Tele idea.

SixStringSlinger

Poster Extraordinaire
Doesn't get much cheaper than messing with pots and caps.

Or put heavier/lighter strings, or flatwounds or something on one of them and set it up for those.

Tommy Biggs

Friend of Leo's
I’ll second putting a single sized hotter HB into the ‘cheapo’.
Buy something used, lil 59, chopper, cavalier lion… it doesn’t take much to make a Tele bridge get rockin’.
The hb will overcome any noise from lack of shielding…

_MementoMori_

Friend of Leo's
I’ll second putting a single sized hotter HB into the ‘cheapo’.
Buy something used, lil 59, chopper, cavalier lion… it doesn’t take much to make a Tele bridge get rockin’.
The hb will overcome any noise from lack of shielding…

Oddly enough, the cheapo is the one that IS shielded! Haha. Nothing I do makes sense.

KelvinS1965

Tele-Afflicted
Watching with interest: I've ended up like this to a degree. I built my avatar Esquire, but then found that I didn't use the cocked wah and other Esquire settings, so the bridge essentially sounded pretty much the same as my Tele on the bridge pickup. I ended up putting a neck pickup in it (I cut the 'guard to fit it). But this meant I ended up with two similar, though cosmetically different Teles, just with different necks/radius.

Currently the neck from one is now on a Cabronita I put together and I think I'll swap the best bits of the electronics onto the MIM Tele and sell off the body and spare bits off my avatar partscaster: I just don't see the point having two very similar guitars. I did consider a Baritone conversion, but not sure I'd end up using it: Three Tele bodies and two Tele necks is tempting to do 'something' with the third body, but maybe just selling some stuff off is better for me.

I had a lil '59 in a previous incarnation of my Esquire but it sounded nothing like a Tele (especially wired straight through to the jack). However, it just wasn't a sound I needed, even after I added a tone and volume control. Certainly different though.

Sea Devil

Friend of Leo's
I'm on board with the Bigsby fans! A Bigsby on every tele that isn't just too damn perfect to mess with.

dogmeat

Friend of Leo's
put a set of Bootstrap Serranos on there. played mine tonight... day-um thats some good stuff