Quick Telecaster bridge pickup question

SimplyTH

TDPRI Member
Right now I got a Seymour Duncan lil '59 in in the bridge of maple neck telecaster and I am looking to maybe swapping it back to a single coil. I could never find a single coil in the bridge that I liked and I think that was because all of the ones I tried were too hot (7.1-7.6K). After listening around to a bunch of clips of different bridge the sound I seem to like the most is Alnico II around the mid 6k range (the lollar '52, seymour duncan alnico pro II). I am thinking about ordering one to these specs from Bootstrap but then I remembered I had 7.1K Alnico III from bootstrap laying around. So...

Long story short, how different would 7.1k Alnico III sound from a Alnico II at about 6.5k? Would I be splitting hairs?

mandoloony

Tele-Meister
Assuming all the other specs are identical so that impedance might just mean something... yeah, you're talking about a difference that could be imitated by adjusting the pickup height a little bit - if you notice it at all.

gonzo

Tele-Meister
suggest looking at the fralin Split Blades as a new option,
ceramic magnets,
several different voicings,
but in particular,
the BLUES output, is matched with a 500k pot, which you should already have for your lil 59'r

63 vibroverb

Tele-Afflicted
It would partly depend on if both pickups were wound with the same wire thickness. 43 awg vs 42 awg makes a big difference. Assuming both used the same gauge wire, the difference in Alnico 3 vs 2 would account for a bigger difference than the .6K difference in resistance, would be my guess. Alnico 2 will sound softer in the highs and spongier in the mids/bass while Alnico 3 will be more clear and raspy sounding, all other factors being equal.

All that said, if you have both pickups available to you, best way to find out is just try them out.

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Anything would be a step down from a lil59. Those are pretty hot for rock.
You might tex Cavalier dude here, he is responsive to your quest
and has a lot of options.