Quick Sight Seeing ideas - Las Cruces & Maricopa/Tucson Area

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by fendertx, Feb 18, 2020.

Tags:
  1. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I need a couple of ideas for killing a few afternoon hours in each area.

A friend plays in the punk band Streetdogs and they are calling it quits (17 years) after a western run with Flogging Molly in March.
    I already had a trip to Big Bend and the McDonald Observatory planned for the same week, so our 3 day trip evolved into a 5 day trip to see the show at Harrah's Ak-Chin.

Any easy to do "touristy" ideas would be appreciated.

BorderRadio likes this.
  2. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Organ pipe national forest.....cool forest of saguaro cactus and cool landscapes. Might even see some javelina pigs. Especially now with the desert in bloom before the heat!

fendertx likes this.
  3. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Saguaro National Park is just outside of Tucson. Also, there is this really cool military plane museum there - can't recall the name. And lots and lots of good tacos.

EDIT: Pima Air & Space Museum https://pimaair.org/

4. Whatizitman

Three Rivers Petroglyphs, Carlsbad Caverns, Roswell, and White Sands are all within a hour to three from Las Cruces. May not be on your route, though.

fendertx and boris bubbanov like this.
  5. Whatizitman

If you're coming from Big Bend, stop at Balmorhea State Park. Not sure the pool is open. But if it is, it's awesome. If you're heading toward Phoenix, check out Casa Grande Nat'l Monument, and a relatively quick and easy hike at San Tan Mountain Park.

EDIT: Bring lots of water. Never leave your car without water in AZ. Never get in your car without water. Make sure you take plenty, even on short hikes.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I like a place called Cochise Stronghold, which is south of I-10 on the way over to Tucson, near Dragoon AZ.

Great place to hike and hang out in Winter, and you might get snow but nothing super cold. Camping, etc.

7. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

impressive

ravindave_3600 and fendertx like this.
  8. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

Depends on what you like....

Old Tucson Studios is kinda corny but pretty cool if you're a fan of old westerns or have kids. It's in Tucson Mountain Park. Nearby is Desert Museum and then Saguaro Nat'l Park West (East is a little more fun). If those don't appeal there are tons of great desert hikes!

Rainbow Guitars is kinda cool! Lots of CS Fenders and a few vintage Fender amps! You're 20-30 years too late for the legendary Chicago Music the "elephant graveyard" of vintage gear! I still hear rumors about that place! I hear it got real cleaned up recently. A few years ago it was still fun to crawl through....I haven't been in while..

Load up your Calexico!

9. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Dude, you’re gonna be in my neck of the woods, I might just have to see that show at Ak-Chin :)

-White Sands, White Sands, White Sands...(if your route takes you this way)
    -Mesilla in Las Cruces, get some grub too. No time? Green Chili burger at Blakes Lotaburger.
    -The THiNg, you just gotta
    -Tucson, hike or restaurant/bar hop? You can do both easily.
    -San Xavier del Bac, the stands outside have good O’odham food.
    -After Tucson, drive through Sells if you want a scenic route complete with border militarization. The route through Florence is also nice, you can take a stop at said Casa Grande Ruins National Monument.
    -Sorry, nothin goin on in Maricopa :)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  10. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

West of Tucson is the desert museum,and I think the central arizona project is interesting.

There is a cool sign museum on Olsen Ave.

No trip to Tucson is complete for us without going to all 3 Bookmans' entertainment exchange stores.

11. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I-40 east tourist center/rest stop overlooking west Las Cruces...

fendertx and Whatizitman like this.
  12. Whatizitman

Best trucker gift store within at least 30 minutes, or so.

fendertx likes this.
  13. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Awesome view of Las Cruces...

fendertx likes this.
  14. fendertx

Thanks for the replies so far, I need to dig into these and see what's what.

15. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Ha...i lived in coolidge in the mid to late fifties....we use to ride our bikes around the Casa Grande ruins....broken pottery everywhere!!!!

fendertx and BorderRadio like this.
  16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

There's Silver City, NM which could be active on the weekends. I don't think it is going like it used to, though. North of I-10.

And these guys are saying Las Cruces is overlooking I-40. Of course that's I-10.

Don't camp on that high ridgeline in Lincoln National Forest, above Carlsbad Caverns, in Winter. It is way windy up there - there is a reason it is deserted up there.

fendertx likes this.
  17. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

All these suggestions are good! Also...

If you're from the flatlands you might drive an hour up Mt. Lemmon for some great views.

Eegees is a local treasure, grinders and great fruit slushies (Huh? you say. Trust me on this). Also, Tucson has the best Mexican food in the USA, maybe because we're about 60% Mexican culture.

fendertx and Wallo Tweed like this.
  18. fendertx

I'll definitely try the slushies.
    I plan on trying the local Mexican food but I have to make a disclaimer. I grew up in a Mexican American neighborhood in Houston and have been eating Mexican food my entire life. While I fully expect to love the Southwestern Mexican food I don't know that would ever agree that it's better than the food I grew up on.;)

19. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Holic

Goldfield, in northeast Mesa, is a fun stop for a couple hours. Papago Park in Tempe is cool, and has a couple little hikes. You might be able to schedule a tour of Fender HQ in Scottsdale or go check out Roberto Venn luthiery school in Phx if you're the build-nerd type like some of us. Keep the water handy. It's starting to get hot in March.

20. Whatizitman

OK stop right there. I love texmex as much as anyone. I mean I seriously love it. But southwest Mexican food is its own deal. I don't compare them. I love them both.

On a recommendation I went to a taco joint in Tucson that is among the best, if not the best, I have ever had. I can't remember the name. It was in a little old style plaza. Just. Incredible. I'll see if I can remember. It will make a believer out of you.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.