quick question will this nut file work for gauge 10's?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by ben smith, Oct 9, 2019 at 11:22 PM.

1. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

If you mean the way it creates a V shaped slot, it's not an issue if you keep slot depth to a minimum. I realize not everyone does this the same way, but my preference is for the plain slots to be just as deep as the string is thick, and for the wound slots to leave the strings about 1/3 proud of the slot. At those depths there's no apparent V shape.

2. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

I look at it this way: I could have taken the first guitar to my guy to do for me, admittedly I didn't ask a price but I'd have thought at least £30, plus my time going back and forth, then the wait to get it back. I knew that I'd get another new neck that would also need the slots filing, so I'd have paid as much to him as buying the proper tools to do both nuts.

Turns out that I've now done 3 guitars, a slight tweak on a 4th and a friend has borrowed them for his guitar (got a drink out of that favour ;) ), plus I've still got another neck to buy at some point which will need a nut cut.

Granted, not as cheap as using blades and tip cleaners, but sometimes it's just nice to have the proper tools for a job.

I grew up in what was part of Yorkshire, so I know what you mean about wasting money ;), but to my mind I've still saved and my guitars are set up exactly as I like them now.

3. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I've been setting guitars up since the late 1970s. I've never even bought a set of tip cleaners. :) I do things much more intricate than filing half a dozen slots in a piece of bone. I have plenty of proper engineers tools for the job, just not overpriced ones aimed at guitar mechanics.

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  4. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

Hey I'm not looking to start a war; just saying that for me it was still cheaper than paying the guy to do it and I've got tools I can use for the future.

I've certainly 'wasted' more than £60 over the years on my hobbies; at least I have a tool to show for this.

I started playing in the early 70s too...did a small set to about 200 people in a place called Filey if you know of the town? My Mam still gets the photo out from time to time to remind me (also of the large flares I wore at the time :D).

WingedWords likes this.
  5. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

No war, certainly cheaper than paying shop prices for five minutes work on nut slots. I didn't have to buy any tools for this hobby, I already had them for work (and my other hobby which were often the same thing).

I remember the 70s, Filey and the flares and the girls boarding school at Hunmanby, next station down the line... :twisted: Ah the joys of a completely misspent but most enjoyable youth. :lol:

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  6. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I recently built a couple of partscasters using the Fender replacement necks w/ the nuts that have "pilot" grooves -- I did not want to spend a ton on nut files, so I gave it a shot w/ this cheapie welding tip cleaner set

[​IMG]

I imagine the real files will be more efficient in the way they cut - but I was able to do both nuts w/o too much trouble, and it only cost $5.99. both play wonderfully now

ben smith, Slim60 and beagle like this.
  7. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

you are right, in the way you discribe the route you take to make a nut, it will not be a problem.
    its more when you have to adjust a factory nut that is not at the correct depth/hight and thoos slots are mostly deeper.
    (i only have cheap guitars were that mostly is the situation)

8. moosie

But .... if a person has no need for a bunch of 'proper engineers tools', why is the only alternative to use crap? Certainly spending $60 on nut files is cheaper than buying whatever it is that you're implying you use.

Put another way... you see the value in having the proper tools for the job, it seems... except in your view it's just 'proper engineering' that counts, and not guitar work...? If a person views their guitar work as having much value (and their time, too), then having the proper tools for that job may make sense, no?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019 at 4:13 AM
  9. moosie

I tend to replace cheap nuts with bone. But if you wanted to adjust a factory nut, it's not inconceivable to reshape the top with a (regular) file, so the slots are near the surface, as I do my scratch ones. Of course, plastic might not 'shape' very well - but Micarta will (Gibson).

10. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Meister

looks to be the same as the one i ordered but without the holder so i should be ok, good to know thanks. what is the size of the thinnest one? mine is 0.4mm

11. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

If you're doing one nut, why spend the equivalent of a Squier guitar on it? Cheaper to either use "crap" or pay to have it done. I didn't always have tools, I still use guitar with a bone nut that I made in 1979 with a set of £3 needle files.

12. moosie

Different ways, no worries.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.