Quick Question ref HSS pups

Laren

Tele-Holic
Quick question guys. With my HSS pups for my build, out of the two single coils which of the two should go in the neck position and which in the middle, the higher or lesser resistance? I haven't measured them yet so can't help there.

kbold

Friend of Leo's
I’d put the lower resistance pickup in the neck position.
............ because at the neck the string wobbles more (= greater amplification).
The lower resistance p/u will have a lower output (therefore pickups will be better balanced).

The real problem for you will be trying to balance the high output of a humbucker with the single coils.

ahiddentableau

Tele-Afflicted
............ because at the neck the string wobbles more (= greater amplification).
The lower resistance p/u will have a lower output (therefore pickups will be better balanced).

The real problem for you will be trying to balance the high output of a humbucker with the single coils.

This. The closer you get to the middle of the string, the greater the amplitude of the string's vibrations, therefore the greater the output.

Laren

Tele-Holic
This. The closer you get to the middle of the string, the greater the amplitude of the string's vibrations, therefore the greater the output.
Surely that only happens if you're not fretting the string. Fret it on the 5th fret and the max amp will move.

But lower resistance at the neck, thanks guys.

crazydave911

Doctor of Teleocity

The humbucker, with a single cheap switch can be SC, series or parallel. Basically three tones outta one pickup 😁

kbold

Friend of Leo's
Surely that only happens if you're not fretting the string. Fret it on the 5th fret and the max amp will move.

But lower resistance at the neck, thanks guys.
An unfretted string has max oscillation at the 12 fret (which is the half way point). Here the neck p/u is closest to the string's mid-point.
Max (relative) wobble of the string at the neck p/u occurs around the 14th fret.
Wobble at the neck p/u will still be greater than the bridge p/u up to around the 18th fret.
Above the 18th fret, wobble is heavily attenuated for both pickups due to the string length.
Above the 21st fret, wobble will be greater at the bridge pickup (very little wobble at the neck pickup, so using bridge pickup would be a preference here).