Quick disconnects for wiring.

TX_Slinger

Tele-Holic
I'd like to add some quick disconnects to make it easier to disconnect my ground and output jack from my PG assembly (tele custom, large PG with HB's) for ease of servicing. Anyone have a good suggestion for quick disconnects for small gauge wiring such as this?

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic
You can try 1.25 or 2mm JST 2 pin connectors. 1.25mm comes with around 18ga pigtails on them so if the wire is bigger than that, you may want to go up to 2mm. You can order as little as 10,or as many as a few hundred at Amazon, for example.

2.0mm JST connectors

Screenshot_20220127-073254_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Screenshot_20220127-073317_Amazon Shopping.jpg

TX_Slinger

Tele-Holic
You can try 1.25 or 2mm JST 2 pin connectors. 1.25mm comes with around 18ga pigtails on them so if the wire is bigger than that, you may want to go up to 2mm. You can order as little as 10,or as many as a few hundred at Amazon, for example.

2.0mm JST connectors

View attachment 944941 View attachment 944942
I realize the ground doesn’t care about gauge mismatch, but any downside to splicing one of these into a smaller gauge output jack wire? Aside from stressing the spliced connection (which I can mitigate)?

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic
These RC car connectors (WS Dean) look like a winner for this application:

Amazon linky

View attachment 944962

Lol. I have those on all of my rc batteries. Never even considered that.

I realize the ground doesn’t care about gauge mismatch, but any downside to splicing one of these into a smaller gauge output jack wire? Aside from stressing the spliced connection (which I can mitigate)?

I don't believe so. You can try the 1.25mm connectors. I got 10 sets for $7 yesterday as a matter of fact. I'll be using them to run a cooling fan off the the battery on my little WLToys RC car/buggy. Gonna solder one side to the battery connector and run the fan, directly off of 8.4V battery power through the 18ga wires.

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic
You can get even smaller wire/connectors; consider RC servo interconnects.

Those 1.25mm JST connectors are SMALL. The connectors on my servos are bigger than those but they also have 3 or 5 wires instead of just 2. Most standard servos use a 3-wire connector afaik.

I'll post a pic of the ones I have for size reference when I get home in about half an hour. I may be wrong about the wire size. It could be smaller than 18ga.

Blrfl

Tele-Afflicted
If you don't mind having to use a small screwdriver, snap off two terminals of a Euro style barrier strip, connect one side to the jack and shielding, stick it to the bottom of the cavity and connect the electronics to that.

Beebe

Tele-Holic
EDIT
You are on the right track with these spring loaded devices. If you end up with something with screws, make sure you use threadlocker blue.

And I don't see an issue with stepping down in wire size as long as it's sturdy like you said. Its too short of a wire for the higher resistance of small gauge to have a noticeable impact.

Last edited:

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic
So, I forgot about snapping that pic. Sorry. I can, tell you the wires on the 1.25mm connectors is more like 24-26ga according to my wire strippers.