1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Quick & Dirty Looper Pedal Rundown

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by RustleFuzz, Feb 10, 2015.

1. 1996Standard

1996Standard Tele-Meister

I got the Boss RC-2 Loop Station several years ago thinking it would be a great practice tool. I honestly hardly ever use it though I probably should.

2. gypsyseven

gypsyseven Friend of Leo's

I have the Ditto since it first came out and really love it! Would also like to read some reviews here about the EHX 360!

3. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I have the two-pedal Boss (RC3?) and the Ditto. I use the Ditto just for practicing on my own. You will discover that it takes a fair bit of practice to hit the footswitch at just the right moment so that your measures are the correct length. With the Boss I was always having to drag out the manual to remember how to use it.

The loopers with more features typically have the option to have some kind of click going, and you can set it to 4/4 or other signatures. When you hit the loop trigger, it will synch the loop point to the click rhythm and therefore all of your measures are exactly the correct length. If I were playing with a looper in a live setting with other musicians I think I would definitely look for one with this type of synch feature...you can turn the click volume all the way down but the lights still flash and synching still occurs. Otherwise even if you are just a few milliseconds off it tends to throw the whole band off.

Maybe the jam-man has better live playing features, I don't know. I was in a power trio and I tried looping in let's say 4 measures of the rhythm so I could solo over it. Bottom line is if you don't start the loop and trigger the repeat perfectly the loop's time drifts out of synch with the band and the band rhythm falters. Using a click syncher doesn't necessarily work unless somehow the rest of the band is willing to stay synched to the click throughout the song. What would be super cool is if there were a looper that could listen to the band and automatically synch up to the band's rhythm. If the loop starts out in really good synch with the band then you're halfway there....but of course, as long as the loop is playing the drummer and bass have to be willing to track to the loop very faithfully.

With today's available technology it seems that it would be fairly simple to achieve the ability of a looper to automatically synch up to the ambient rhythm. A smoothing algorithm could interpolate the best rhythm that matches the always slightly imperfect rhythm being produced. The vocal harmonizer boxes out there by TC Helicon are able to listen to guitar and keyboards and pick out the harmonic context of the chord (i.e., major or minor) and put in the m3 or M3 for a three-part harmony.

4. himay

himay TDPRI Member

Try the Nux Loop Core. It's a Boss Rc3 clone with hours of storage. Donnerdeal runs out of them often. It's been down under a hundred bucks for a little while now and they run coupon code discounts too. It is a little noisy in the signal chain, depending on the usual factors like amp, pickups, volume level, etc. But for practicing and trying out ideas over a beat or even with multilayer save-able grooves it can't be beat. I just got an adapter to control it with two external pedals. Haven't gotten too far into that yet, but it's definitely easier to set tempo with an external pedal (standard keyboard sustainer). The second pedal lets you switch between different loops easier and also to control start/stop and some editing functions. Not bad.

5. RustleFuzz

RustleFuzz Tele-Meister

Well...here we go! Found an EHX 360 on Craigslist last night, picked it up today for $95. The guy had purchased it to get into looping, but didn't really get into it at all. Said he used it for maybe 5 hours or so total. We'll see if it works! I'll report back after I use it a bit, still haven't really heard from anyone that owns or uses this one...

image-1898649632.jpg

6. RustleFuzz

RustleFuzz Tele-Meister

After playing through the 360 for a couple days, I can honestly say I really like it. Sound quality through my DRRI is good, don't notice any added noise, loop repeats are clear and only seem to deteriorate a bit after multiple layers of sound (which is par for the course with most loopers from what I understand).

It's very easy to use, and having the 11 save locations is already proving to be a big benefit to me personally.

I need to get better at getting a seamless transition at the end of the loops so they don't glitch, but that will come with practice I suppose.

Also these things really let you know how good (or bad in my case) your timing is. I can see that the drums (metronome) on units like the BOSS RC-2 or 3 would be useful in this regard as a learning/teaching tool.

7. Garage Dog

Garage Dog TDPRI Member

Here is a very informative Youtube you may enjoy.
    Although this is focused on the blues and the ditto looper you can still apply the lessons taught to different genres and different loop pedals.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.