Quick connectors of some type for pickups?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by freatles, May 7, 2019.

1. freatles

freatles TDPRI Member

I wonder what would be the smart thing to use for quick (re-)connecting the wiring?

2. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

I have no experience with it, but Guitarfetish has a system you can solder onto your components. I think it is called Quick Plug, or something similar. There may be similar systems by other brands.

Dismalhead and freatles like this.
  3. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Afflicted

I've built some guitars where it is difficult to get inside to unsolder pickup wires so rather than a quick disconnect I just put little terminal strips in the cavities and run the wires from there more or less permanently. The terminals I used were intended for strain gauge (load cell) wiring which is a micro volt signal much like the low voltage from a guitar pup. I don't remember the brand.

I used a three terminal strip because I want to tie two of the wires from the humbuckers together (the ones that are often used for coil splitting. If I run that to my controls I can ground one of the coils to "tap" or "split" it.

The green wire in the photo goes to the bridge stud to be the string ground.

IMG_3323.JPG

If I ever need to change or remove the pups it is totally simple and it allowed me to wire the guitar without installing them.

freatles likes this.
  4. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I got a kit guitar once that had plugs on the hookup wires.. too easy...

RC models use a lot of plug types, there should be a bunch of them on ebay....

wiring plugs.JPG

freatles likes this.
  5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I've used RCA plugs and jacks, like you've seen on old VCR patch cables.
    The RC car connectors are a pretty good option, cheap for a pack on Amazon. However not shielded like the RCA cables are. I use RCA cables from the volume to the jack to get the shielding benefit.

6. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I'm a solder the wires guy.
    Why? Because anything that slips together will get loose overtime and fail or the connectors will corrode and fail. Soldered wire will not get loose or corrode and last longer than the pots.
    Why do you need a quick connector anyway? Do you plan on changing out pickups a lot?
    You get pickups with quick connectors, then you have to get a wiring harness with connetors = more money from you.

7. Garruchal

Garruchal Tele-Meister

As an audio engineer: there is no secret to it. Any connection will work. Using RCA or 1/8" jacks or any thing else is the same as soldering, but is more work. Unless you're changing pickups daily, just solder them in..

8. freatles

freatles TDPRI Member

OK, I have those somewhere. The 300V/2A ones intended for installing lighting fixtures, but phased out due to new regulations. I seem to recollect they might be just a tad too large for the pup-cavities I have, tho.

9. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I bought a bag of these two wire, snap together types only a bit smaller and thinner wire. Got them on Ebay from China, the whole bag was like $4

10. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I've bought some of the GFS quick plug harnesses, I just cut'em off.

Zepfan likes this.
  11. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I use D-sub connects for guitars I swap pickups through. I bake them into hollow body/semi hollowbody guitars too, it’s a pain to swap pickups in those. I like the D-subs because I can flip phase without issue, and they’re small and easy to tuck away in control cavities were space is limited. That being said, it’s better to solder them in when you can.

C618106E-F9ED-4682-A7FA-6D7E1FFF0FC6.jpeg

12. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

I recently used a strip of stripboard... it has labels on it. after I used it it occurred to me that a better solution might be the old style speaker clips... you know, the ones that you push down and then push the wire in and release to hold it. honestly, I prefer a soldered connection. It's not THAT much trouble to solder in but in cases where I have my doubts about the pickups... might try that.

13. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Being the lazy slob that I am I've used electricians tape many a time and I've never had a problem. In fact I've got a build that's been that way longer than I can remember. After all once it's under the hood there's stress that can cause a disconnect anyway.

14. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Dean's connectors, commonly used in R/C models are superb . . and you may wanna consider the small connectors commonly used in computers, also Molex are very good and all are high reliability.

Check Digikey or Mouser for others..
    r

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.