Quick and (hopefully) simple wiring question (pickups in series)

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by cowie86, Jan 20, 2020.

1. cowie86

cowie86 Tele-Meister

Hi guys

I'm hoping someone with more electronics knowledge than me (anyone in here and most infants) can tell me if this would work or point out where I'm going wrong please.

I currently have the below switching on my Jag:

[​IMG]

I'd like to wire the guitar so the small black switch changes the current pickup selection from whatever the toggle position is to both pickups in series. I found another diagram showing a similar thing and butchered it to produce this...

https://ibb.co/JBhMZxM

Sorry if this post belongs in an "Other guitars" forum or the trash.

And thank you in advance to anyone who can help :)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  2. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Holic

We would need to see the back of the slide switch, I believe you need a DPDT switch to arrive at a series parallel option. More than likely that is a SP switch. They are available.

3. cowie86

cowie86 Tele-Meister

Thanks for your reply MF. I don't have the guitar in front of me now but the switch is a Switchcraft slider switch for Jaguar, same as the below...

[​IMG]

It has the correct number of terminals on the back but my knowledge isn't good enough to know whether that definitely makes it DPDT or not.

4. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Holic

I am curious what the switch does now, phase? It looks like you could accomplish series parallel with what you have there with your diagram. I did not see any Jags with that switch setup, are there any other switches as well? If you have non- original pups you have to be aware of the grounds but it should work.

5. cowie86

cowie86 Tele-Meister

Thanks MF. It gives a similar result to out of phase at the minute. When the switch is in the down position the signal passes through it unaffected. When you move the switch up it adds a capacitor (I can't remember which value) between the PU selector switch and the volume and tone pots. This capacitor reduces the bass slightly, thinning out the sound. The guitar's already got single coils and a maple neck so I'd rather the switch beef the sound up a bit rather than thin it out.

6. cowie86

cowie86 Tele-Meister

The three way toggle PU selector switch isn't standard. That has replaced the neck PU on/off switch and the the bridge PU on/off switch that you'd normally see on a Jaguar. The three way toggle pickup selector works just like a Gibson one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.