quick and dirty way to test pickups?

wabashslim

Friend of Leo's
Use the middle position or whatever combination, turn up the bass on the amp, do the tap thing with a small screwdriver and listen for bass rolloff as you turn both pickups all the way up. Likewise, the bass response should increase as you turn one of the pickups down.
Nope - you have to input the same signal into both pickups at the same time to check phasing.

Now this will do the trick - good job!

Fralin Pickups: How To Diagnose Guitar Pickups With A Multimeter

www.fralinpickups.com
www.fralinpickups.com

kbold

Friend of Leo's
Now, somebody come up with a quick & dirty way to test 2 or more pickups for polarity without installing them under strings.
To check polarity: compass
To check winding direction: connect output to a multimeter (DC mV). Place a screwdriver on the poles, then pull away quickly.
As you pull it away, voltage will momentarily go either +ve or -ve, depending on coil direction wind.

If the 2nd pickup is RP/RW, the voltage flick will be the same as the 1st pickup.
(i.e. If the polarity is reversed, the voltage flick direction will be the same if winding direction is also reversed.)

jvin248

Doctor of Teleocity

+1 Get an inexpensive meter. Harbor Freight used to have coupons they gave them away. Normal price is $7ish. Same on Amazon.

I have one the leads went bad so I wired them into a quarter inch audio jack. I keep it in the car so when stopping at that Craigslist Guitar Deal, I just plug it in and test all the guitar switch positions with it. It's saved me a lot of issues and cash. Had one guy wire the one working pickup to all switch positions and a few with wonky switches.

Ted Keane

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
I don't have a multimeter, and need to test some pickups I bought online before the return/refund period expires. I have a unused quarter inch jack.

Can I simply wrap the pickup leads around the terminals of the quarter inch jack, hold the pickup up to a guitar, and strum away?

I just need to know if this is viable, otherwise I won't know if there is a problem with the pickups or my testing method.
Your help will be appreciated.

Thanks, and sorry if this is an obvious or dumb question.
Great question and some great answers.Thanks naneek

wabashslim

Friend of Leo's
To check polarity: compass
To check winding direction: connect output to a multimeter (DC mV). Place a screwdriver on the poles, then pull away quickly.
As you pull it away, voltage will momentarily go either +ve or -ve, depending on coil direction wind.
From the deepest recesses of my brain I'm starting to remember hearing this from somebody many years ago but it has since hidden itself from my knowledge base. I still have some needle-meters around so next time I mix pickups I'll use it.

kbold

Friend of Leo's
From the deepest recesses of my brain I'm starting to remember hearing this from somebody many years ago but it has since hidden itself from my knowledge base. I still have some needle-meters around so next time I mix pickups I'll use it.
You can do it with a digital meter as well: you will see the display go +ve or-ve momentarily.

Don Mare

Tele-Afflicted
Using a Pickup on a patch Cord - JUST: never hold the pickup directly over another pickup - they can DEGAUSE one another's magnets - ok