Questions on Custom Shop Telecaster Authenticity?

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by DanDII, May 13, 2017.

1. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

Does anyone own a recent Teambuilt CS Tele that isn't in the CS production catalog?

I'm looking at this Tele:

[​IMG]

Supposedly a 2013 "Telecaster Pro Closet Classic" but it does not have many of the spec'd Telecaster Pro parts. The bridge is not the 'reverse ashtray' style, tuners are late 60s-early 70s Schaller 'F' style, and I can't find the metallic purple color listed for any year closet classic.

The last year I see spec'd for the vintage box style bridge is 2012. The cert for this guitar dates it as 3/26/13 so I'd expect to see the newer style bridge.

Are the CS specs variable on the Teambuilt models?

Just trying to make sure it's not a partscaster built from Stratosphere, or the like, parts.

2. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Afflicted

Was North of There, Now Way Way South of There
    Teambuilt just means that it was built by more than one builder. You can custom order a guitar built to your specs and it it will be automatically teambuilt unless you specify and pay the additional fee. Or there are yearly limited runs that have the same specs per model and are teambuilt. I don't know if yours was a limited model or not.

You can see some of the models for previous years on the Fender CS site but I don't know how far back they go. Send Fender customer service an email with your serial number. They can give you the spec sheet for that guitars build. Usually pretty fast too.

3. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

I emailed Fender with the serial Thursday. Still waiting to hear back. I seem to remember seeing this color on one of the online dealer sites but there is no mention of it on the Fender Custom Shop site for any model from 2009 to 2016.

I'm pretty confident the finish is Fender's "Closet Classic" as it looks like their style of crazing/checking. All the parts look kosher too. My only concern is maybe that it's a partscaster made up from various years as the specs for a '13 'Telecaster Pro' do not match up to this guitar.

The other 'Pros' from '13 use the newer style reverse ashtray bridge and vintage 50s style tuners whereas this one has the correct vintage bridge and '70s tuners.

4. Ron Garson

Ron Garson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think you are right to be cautious. It seems to be quite different to the 2013 Telecaster Pro on Fender's website.

5. BradL

BradL Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

6. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

if the guitar posted by the OP is the same that BradL posted looks good to me.

I don't see any strange things, maybe a small batch was made in that colour and with that hardware to be 100 % shure i'd ask fender about the serial and see what comes up.

probably if you include your concerns about the hardware they'll be able to answer that, i've asked some serials and guitar check over the years, always got back to me with all the info great service.

Edit: you already did that :p

btw that's a beautiful guitar, i love sunbursts and i usually don't like plain colors but this one looks very cool, ... where did i put my wallet ... :p ( don't worry .. i'm broke haha ) ;)

hope it helps ;)

cheers

7. BradL

BradL Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

You do see some head-scratchers but they're not always fakes. I have a supposedly heavy relic CS Strat where the original owner didn't want the paint work beaten up. He only wanted the metal and plastic work to be aged. The dealer verified it because he had ordered it originally so I was happy. I also used to own a lovely red CS Tele that the original owner ordered in early 60s spec but wanted 1959 to be put on the certificate because it was his birth year. I had the shop floor Traveller and so wasn't too concerned. Main thing is it's original and you like it. The link I posted (the guitar was also offered on eBay) was to a dealer who seems to have a good reputation and they may well be able to provide some additional info.

Good luck anyway. I think it's a real looker and if you do buy it I'll look forward to the NGD post.

8. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

That's the beasty. I'll post a NGD when it arrives. It's receiving a complimentary Plek job Tuesday that was negotiated into the selling price. The sellers are top notch as far as I can tell but they took this one in on trade and it was not originally sold through their shop. They only knew the specs as stated by the seller. I'm pretty sure it's kosher I was just hoping someone else had seen another like guitar as my research has not produced another with specs even close. o_O

Could be a one-off or small dealer run, IDK. That's what I was hoping to find info about. I know I've seen a couple of the trans pink models at Wildwood. I've found a couple of '52s in that same color too. Just none with those specs and Fender seems to be dragging their feet a bit getting back to me. Hopefully hear something on Monday. I'd really like to be sure before they Plek it!

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  9. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

Fender hadn't returned my email so i called this morning and was sent this build sheet:

Dealer Information Dealer Contact Telephone
    Information Sales Order Production Order Sales Due Date Customer No. Builder Customer PO
    page 1 of 2

Sales Order Details item Material Description Quantity 0000 9236200590 CUSTOM TELE® PRO C.C. 1
    General FINISH PACKAGE CLOSET CLASSIC CC PLATING GOLD HARDWARE GLD

RIGHT HAND/LEFT HAND RIGHT HAND R CASE FCS STRAT/TELE BLACK

68102 Body BODY SPREAD GTR & BASS ASH

ASH CHOOSE SINGLE OR MULTI COLOR COLOR OVER COLOR 2 CHOOSE TOP COLOR PURPLE METALLIC 93

CHOOSE BOTTOM COLOR SEE TEXT FOR COLOR NONE 1, 2 OR 3PC SPREAD? 2 PC 2 BODY

FINISH NITRO LACQUER LAC

SORT FOR LIGHT WEIGHT YES SORT Y BODY TEXT

PURPLE MET OVER PINK TRANS PURPLE MET OVER PINK TRANS BODY TEXT DO NOT WEAR THROUGH TOP COLOR DO NOT WEAR THROUGH TOP COLOR

BODY TEXT CARVED NECK HEEL CARVED NECK HEEL

Hardware STANDARD OR CUSTOM BRIDGE CUSTOM BRIDGE ASSEMBLY C BRIDGE ASSEMBLY LIKE STD TELE PRO CC 0074089100

PLATES FOR BRIDGE ASSEMBLIES 63 VINT TELE CC 0054162100

SADDLES FOR BRIDGE ASSEMBLIES GATTON TELE 0058544000

PICKUP BRIDGE POSITION H/W 67 TELE BRG CC 0078450100

OUTPUT ASSEMBLIES VINT TELE 0058422000

CONTROL ASSEMBLY CUST CLASS TELE CC 0058138100

NECK PLATE GTR SHOWMASTER SER # CHR 0049494000

BACK PLATE & TREM COVER GTR NONE

REAR CONTROL COVER NONE

STRAP LOCKS STRAP LOCK 0021775000

TUNER KEY SCHALLER F SHT GLD CC RH 0053684140

STRING SETS FOR GUITAR 010-013-017-026-036-046
    STR6 HARDWARE TEXT S-1 SWITCH TO PUT P/U'S OUT OF S-1 SWITCH TO PUT P/U'S OUT OF HARDWARE TEXT PHASE WHEN PRESSED PHASE WHEN PRESSED

Neck STANDARD OR CUSTOM NECK CUSTOM NECK C LIKE STANDARD NECK ASSEMBLY 2009 TELE PRO CC/REL 0074090981

NECK FINISH NITRO LACQUER NCL

NECK BLANK GUITAR MAPLE 5/4 QTR SAWN 0058806000 FINGERBOARD ROSEWOOD USE 96658 0016584001

SORT FOR DARK R/W FINGERBOARD YES SORT Y

TRUSS ROD BULLET TRUSS ROD 0054194000

FACE DOT ABALONE .250x.060 0053397000 SIDE DOT ABALONE 3/32" 0058340000

FRET WIRE MED JUMBO 0021828000

NUMBER OF FRETS 22 22

FINGERBOARD RADIUS 9.50" RADIUS 9.50

BACK SHAPE 1969 "U" 13NKSH

NECK THICKNESS AT 1ST FRET .850 .850 NECK THICKNESS AT 12TH FRET .910" 91012TH

NUT BONE (GTR & J-BASS) 0058911000

BIND HEAD CAP NO N

BIND FINGERBOARD NO N

DECALS HEADCAP FOR GTR 67 - 76 TELE 0068416000

NECK TEXT (30 CHAR) USE "F" TUNERS USE "F" TUNERS NECK TEXT CARVED NECK HEEL CARVED NECK HEEL

Pickguard

Fender Musical Instruments Corp. 17600 N. Perimeter Drive, Suite 100 Scottsdale, AZ 85255-2618 USA
    Shop Floor Traveler
    Dealer Information Dealer Contact Telephone
    Information Sales Order Production Order Sales Due Date Customer No. Builder Customer PO
    Page 2 of 2
    Sales Order Details item Material Description Quantity

STANDARD OR CUSTOM PICKGUARD CUSTOM C LIKE STANDARD PG OR PGA PGA CUST DLX TELE GLD 0078148040

PICKUP NECK POSITION H/W 67 TELE NK CC 0092062100

PICKUP MID POSITION NONE NONE

PICKGUARD SHAPE TELE CUSTOM CLASSIC TELE CCTELE PICKGUARD MATERIAL CUSTOM 60 TELE G/B/G NIT NO-NOTCH 0078774000

OPTION TEXT OVERWOUND 60'S NECK P/U OVERWOUND 60'S NECK P/U OPTION TEXT H/W

'72 TELE BRIDGE P/U H/W '72 TELE BRIDGE P/U

10. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

The specs came up a bit jumbled from the previous formatting. From what I see it's not as it came from Fender. I may call back and see if I can clarify the pickguard and S1 switch which both seem to differ.

I'm guessing the pickguard, controls and maybe pups may not be original to this guitar.

11. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

Cancelled this sale. It was modded by the selling dealer for a the original owner. I'm not up for a new partscaster. The last high end partscaster I had was broken down to parts so I could move it down the line.

Really don't want to go through that again. :(

Lefty Addams likes this.
  12. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

Ended up with a '67 Smugglers Tele instead:
    [​IMG]

Dave's had them listed as used but I think they are a NOS blowout of leftover '16 stock from Fender. Looks to me like Fender threw an overcoat of paint on the lefover white blonde Smuggler bodies. On all the ones at Dave's you can see remnants of white blonde in the cavities. Dave's has a few other 'new' marked as used '16s in stock. I'm guessing they had to list them as used to price them this low. Far as I can tell they got 6 in a few days ago. Down to two now, one Black and LPB.

Comes w/CS case, case candy and WBW guard which will be installed Thursday upon arrival! ;)

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    Ron Garson and bender66 like this.
  13. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

Greg Koch has a good WW video of the Smugglers Tele:

Greg's guitar also has a couple videos of this model. I was seriously considering purchasing the WW guitar but I already have a white/blonde Ash Tele and I wasn't down with the original price either. Love the high end push on these. Both of the 'Greg' videos highlight the bell like top end.

GregsGuitars:

I know, both players could make a broomstick with a string rock.:oops:

I'll update and let you know what I think shortly! :twisted:

14. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I like this color much better.

What were you referring to by "reverse ashtray bridge" with the first tele?

15. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

Fender has been using a Custom Shop "RSD" bridge for a few years now. The RSD bridge has the same shape as a vintage 'ashtray' cover. Almost like they turned a vintage ashtray cover upside down and trimmed the sides down then drilled it for strings and saddles.

16. Masterbuilt

Masterbuilt Tele-Holic

So to recap you passed on a used guitar because its pickups and electronics had been modded and bought a 'new' guitar that you suspect has had a refin by the factory, which when one day should you ever sell it someone will call up the spec sheet that in turn will throw up an anomaly much like the one for the guitar you cancelled on in the first place.... :)

17. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

Most definitely. However, I also took screenshots of 9 other "refin'd" '67 Smugglers on several dealer sites. :twisted:

Some of the other dealers are selling their '67s as new at the original map. Those pages should be enough to support the pedigree of mine.

Had the first guitar included all the swapped out parts I wouldn't have had an issue with the mods.

However, the original spec pups were handwound one -offs that I seriously doubt I'd ever run across.

Maybe I could have passed it off to the next guy without disclosing the mods and got my money back out of it but I don't operate that way. I try to treat people the way I'd like to be treated.

I'm in the 'their only original once' camp. :cool:

Last edited: May 18, 2017
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.