Questions for DRRI owners

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by holgaguy, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Johnny Cache

Johnny Cache Former Member

Find a better drummer, one that knows how to play well at low volume. Lately I'm using my Princeton and not using my DRRI and our current drummer is fantastic at keeping it down. Back when I was doing rock bands, we used to audition drummers with our acoustic guitars, if they couldn't play to fit the volume level we wanted they didn't get hired. When you're paying a drummer $200 a gig he's gotta be worth it.

2. holgaguy

holgaguy Tele-Afflicted

The drummer I play with is probably the best I've ever played with, at least in terms of technique. His kit is really made for rock - they are big sounding and loud, even when he's barely hitting them. Anyway, the band isn't a rock band, we play older country and are often referred to as "Americana."

3. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

^^^^^
    You posed the question over two years ago. Found a solution yet?

4. Johnny Cache

Johnny Cache Former Member

Volume/modulation is also a technique. Really doesn't matter what drum set he has, maybe lighter sticks would help "AA" or something. We probably went through 20 drummers before finding one who knew how to play lightly.

Really a DR should be loud enough at 4 or 5 for anything country. You could get a bit more head room with 6L6's and a rebias and perhaps a SS rectifier.

Another thought is a drum sound cage.

5. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

This is the original question and the one I responded to. Thank you for your hall monitoring however. Are you a teacher by trade?

6. mapesaudio

mapesaudio TDPRI Member

mapesaudio: The DRRI is a pretty loud amp for use at home by the way.[/quote]

Yeah, it sure is! I was leaning hard on the Princeton, and felt for the small difference in price, and the bass difference between a 10" & 12" speaker, I'd go with DRRI LTD. Speaker does break up earlier than C12K in regular 65 DRRI. That's why I was thinking 68 CDR. It probably breaks a little earlier, which in turn gives me more usable range at a lower volume. Sounds good in theory, never played one, that's what I guess I need to know. Princeton is still a viable consideration, but I would definetlly go with 65 with it. I did't like what I heard of the bass on the 68 Princeton, that's just me.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  7. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

When discussing the volume of amps here, someone will always end up posting a comment like this. Should the Who or Led Zeppelin have found "better" drummers because the ones they had didn't know how to play well at low volume? Since when does "loud" equal "not good"? Rock bands are supposed to play loud – isn't that pretty much a given? The OP never said he wanted his drummer to be quieter, he said he wanted his amp to be louder.

My DRRI is not loud enough for a rock band. If I played in one, I'd get a louder amp.

8. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Afflicted

As much as I like DRs and DRRIs, I eventually went to bigger wattage amps like a Twin or HRD for the clean headroom issue at gigs and that was my solution. Alternatively, you could keep your DRRI and get a good second hand Peavey Bandit 112 -the newer 85w models, and just upgrade the speaker to a 100w Celestion or Eminence and you will get a great gigging amp on the clean channel. I gig with one and don't bother using my tube amps anymore.

9. holgaguy

holgaguy Tele-Afflicted

Somebody revived the thread a short while ago.

My solution was 1) use my Vibrolux more; 2) threaten to take the drummers sticks away if he didn't tone it down; 3) I bought a Mustang II which was pretty clean until it croaked (temporary fix).

10. Allan 65

Allan 65 TDPRI Member

I use the DRRI in my band, its well loud enough, our drummer is a of medium loudness, I use a Les Paul volume on 4, before that I used a Blues Junior and Sometime a Mustang iii v2, and they were also loud enough.

11. DaddyG

DaddyG Tele-Meister

One thing you might want to try is putting a 12AU7 in V1. It gave me more clean headroom. Also put a C Rex in.

12. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

1. Well, Deluxe Reverb charm is that they break in a nice way. People look for that breakup

2. Did you check the other channel? Are you still lacking headroom?

2. Try backing the bass to 3

If nothing helps - a new, more efficient speaker, like the Eminence C Rex would probably help a lot.

13. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

For clean with a drummer in most situations a 40W tube Fender gets the job done extremely well. I have a vintage Bandmaster and Super Reverb. Both are awesome. I bet a Pro would do very well too. I just bought a '66 DR but need to service it before I play it with my band. I sudpect the clean headroom will leave me wanting. In my experience, owning multiple amps is an awesome luxury if you can afford it. Every single amp ever made is a compromise for something. 5W, 20W, 40W, man, these cover all the bases.

14. harley2008

harley2008 Former Member

Have recently given up my beloved Twin because of the insane volumes at home. Bought my second DRRI, and am thrilled with it. I could see it being a volume challenge with guys I've played with in the past, though. A couple of things I learned this time around:

1. +1 on the CRex after a break in. A bit louder, and sounds incredible.

2. Have been experimenting with tubes, and tried the stock EH GT's, the JJ6V6S, Genelex 6V6, and finally a set of Tung Sol reissue 6L6/5881 25 watt. The Genelex have the best sound for me by far, but break up early. Contrary to everything I've read, I didn't like the JJ's at all, even biased hot. They seemed cold and lacked detail.

3. The Tung Sol's are really, really good, and cheap at $42/pair. They seem to help the headroom just a little; certainly when compared to the Genelex's.

Haven't tried a 12U7 in V2 yet, but I would expect to be a noticeable change if you're looking to raise the headroom.

May not meet every need, but the DRRI with a few tweaks is the best "guitar and cord" amp I've ever played. LOVE it.

15. holgaguy

holgaguy Tele-Afflicted

Interesting about Tung Sol's - they are 6L6s? Any problems with 6L6s in a DRRI? My DRRI came with JJs, both the 6V6s and all the pre-amp tubes as well. I recently replaced the V2 with a TungSol, not sure if I noticed much of a difference or not.

16. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

I've owned and gigged both.

The '68 Custom has reduced negative feedback. This makes the amp break up earlier. The "Normal" channel has been modded to sound like a tweed amp. This makes the amp break up earlier. The power tubes are rated "3", out of "10", where "10" is clean and "1" is dirty. This makes the amp break up earlier. The Celestion speaker is designed to (you guessed it) break up earlier.
    What this means in the real world is the edges are rounded off and the '68 seems more "forgiving".

Time for Pet Peeve Rant Of The Day!
    I see this frequently. Time to dispel.

"Haven't tried a 12U7 in V2 yet, but I would expect to be a noticeable change if you're looking to raise the headroom."

Contrary to popular interweb memes, putting a 12AU7 (or any other lower gain tube) in place of a 12AX7 *does not* increase headroom. Just the opposite.

The 12AU7 has a gain factor of 19. The 12AX7 is rated at 100. All this means is that now you will need to turn the knob up to 10, where before you got the exact same sound at 2. Does this sound like more, or less, headroom?

Correct, it's less.

Yes, the sound will be cleaner, because there's less gain, and therefore less clipping of the signal. But you will still turn the knob way up to get to the same place you were before, which means you run out of, you guessed it, headroom.

The Twin Reverb has MORE headroom than the Deluxe Reverb. Why? Because the Twin, on "2" is as loud as the Deluxe on "8".

Science!

17. Wyatt

Wyatt Tele-Afflicted

Power amp isn't the only limiting factor.

The low preamp plate voltages in the DR mean that the preamp overdrives early. Plate voltage in a DR is near 100vdc lower on the preamp tubes (and, importantly, PI tune) compared to bigger Fenders (Pro Rev, Super Rev, etc.). This makes the DR more touch sensitive but the preamp tubes are clipping much earlier. The cave just caves in sooner...no matter how many watts the power amp is. If you were to use thesame plate voltages in Twin Reverb, eepven it would have a hard time staying crystal clear.

The DRRI is just the wrong amp for cleanheadroom vs. a drummer, despite being loud enough to play a large club.

18. harley2008

harley2008 Former Member

Well, I guess I fell under the spell of "interweb Memes"! And me, considering myself a scientist...

May well be wrong about the 12U7, was really thinking that additional front end gain was bring you to breakup faster than not.

19. harley2008

harley2008 Former Member

Holgaguy,
    Regarding the 6L6 in the deluxe, I have had no issues at all; just had to re-bias.

Chris

20. Wyatt

Wyatt Tele-Afflicted

6L6's in the DRRI aren't advised, the RI power transformer is noticeably smaller, lighter iron than the the original (which was already spec'ed pretty close). It will run hot with the higher current draw of the 6L6's.

Many people do it, but a few have had problems as a result. Your mileage may vary.

IIRC, Allen offers a replacement PT that fits the chassis and is heftier to support 6L6, KT66 and EL34.

But once again...this may be moot...the preamp overdrives before the power amp in the Deluxe Reverb.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.