Questions for 2 pedals

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Old Plank, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Wondering if anyone has experience and opinions for, the Dunlop EP-103 Echoplex; and the Wampler Tumnus models or any of its clones e.g. the Morning Glory V4 ? All are on the pricey end but I've been curious to check them out. The negative input I've heard by some about the Tumnus etc. is that they barely add anything to the sound ... others look at the subtleness in a good way.

2. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Meister

I would buy the JHS Morning Glory because Josh is a heck of a guy. I just can't afford his pedals.

El Tele Lobo and Old Plank like this.
  3. ShortintheSleeve

ShortintheSleeve TDPRI Member

I've had the original version of the Tumnus for about two years and have never thought once about taking it off my board. Being a Klon clone, it does offer some mid-boost--but not nearly as pronounced as a Tube Screamer, and it seems to my ear that the boost is more low-mids than high. I know plenty of players who use the Tumnus as a boost (and it does that job well), but I use mine as a light-mid OD. I run mine into the normal channel of a Vox AC15 that's set to where it breaks up just a tad when I strum a chord pretty hard. When I kick on the Tumnus (gain around 9:30, volume around 10:00, tone around 11:00), I get an OD tone that sounds great for anything from alt-country/folk rock to power pop.

Wobbles and Old Plank like this.
  4. Andy_White_83

Andy_White_83 TDPRI Member

I have a Tumnus and love it. It’s essentially a klon klone with more bass dialed in. Like a klon, it has a definite boost in the upper mids and the mid character increases as you turn the gain up. I run mine before my other drives with the gain around 9:00 and level above unity and push it into my other drives for a gain boost and more mid focus. Absolutely love it in this application. But a tumnus can be useful in a lot of different ways.

A lot of people seem to think the Morning Glory is a klon klone as well, but it’s not. It’s a marshall bluesbreaker circuit. More of a “transparent” light overdrive. Great for mild breakup or that bluesy crunch sound. It’s a great pedal as well, but they’re definitely two different things.

5. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've got a Tumnus Deluxe on my board, it can be subtle, or it can be not subtle-it all depends on how you have it set up. I really, really like it.

Wobbles and ShortintheSleeve like this.
  6. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

Tumnus is a klon-style pedal, morning glory is a Bluesbreaker style, two different pedals as pointed out. I have not had either on my board, although I've tried a tumnus and did not bond with it.

I have a CopperSound Foxcatcher which is a Bluesbreaker variant and near the same price point as JHS. I like it a lot.

On the klon side of things, I have had an Aluminum Falcon (yes, real klon klone), soul food, and JRockett Archer Ikon. I didn't particularly care for the klon style pedals compared to other flavors of dirt.

I think the Bluesbreaker style pedals are this decades Klon - very popular now. Not sure if the Greer lightspeed is a BB vairant, but it deserves a look as well as Wampler Pantheon.

None of the bluesbreaker style pedals are cheap from what I have seen...

Junco Partner likes this.
  7. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

Had the echoplex, it sounded great but added a lot of noise to my signal. Apparently it can be really picky about power. I went with the Digitech Obscura for my tape delay sounds (amongst other delay tones), it’s pretty cheap on the used market, very low noise, and sounds just as good imho.

Never had the Tumnus, but if you’re looking to dip your feet into the Klon clone pool, might I suggest the Way Huge Conspiracy Theory? I have one and it’s excellent. It’s very affordable and in my opinion it does the Klon thing as good as any other Klon clone out there. Observe:

Treynor likes this.
  8. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

If you want the Tape Delay sounds, just get a Belle Epoch. I had a Tumnus and got rid of it. Super bass heavy. The Morning Glory is awesome.

9. OzShadow

OzShadow Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

The Tumnus may seem subtle, but when you turn it off you will feel like something in your guitar died and took all the tone with it.

10. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Holic

As others have mentioned, the Tumnus is a klone and the Morning Glory is a Bluesbreaker circuit, so one is not a clone of the other.

What tone are you trying to achieve?

I love a more open sound for my main drive, so I really liked the MG. And I like what a klone does for a lead sound.

I’m not sure why people called klones transparent because I don’t think they are at all. In fact, I didn’t like the Tumnus as much (as an Archer or Pedal Projects klone) because I felt it added noticeable bass. That might be cool to some with a Tele or Strat, but I didn’t like it with the setup I had.

In any case, I find a klone tends to add some warm mids when placed after another drive pedal. This makes it good for a lead boost, but depending on the setup again can add too much mids (which admittedly does work well in a live setting).

Again, just depends what sound and application you’re going for, but those are all nice pedals and you’ll just have to find your preferences.

11. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Go on Amazon, put 'overdrive pedal' in the search box and press the 'sort low to high price' and start with the pedals you find there. Many Klon Klones for $25. You will have just as much success as any of the boutique models but for so much less cash.

12. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

I purchased the Tumnus Deluxe used for US$140. It's not a high-gain pedal, but I'm not a high-gain player. At present I am using it as my sole overdrive with a Telecaster into a Katana 50's clean channel. The Deluxe version's bass and mid controls really make the pedal for me. As noted above, the Tumnus has a little more bass than the original Klondike Centaur. The Deluxe's Bass knob can add girth when playing alone, or sculpt it away for the authentic Klon tone (and better fit in a mix). Mid knob can make the guitar stand out in a mix or hang back for a scooped clean tone. Like most Klon-types, it can get really bright if you open up the treble control; again, that's useful in a mix, or if just trying to jangle. Note that the treble control only cuts; the other two tone knobs, bass and mid, can also boost. I can't picture a situation, however, in which "wide open" would not be enough treble. With the gain up high, notes decay smoothly.

If you are curious about the difference between a cheap Klon and a Tumnus-priced Klon, watch this video:

In my opinion, the cheap ones are fine for boosting into another pedal. I had a Bad Horse before, and it was good for that; I didn't like it so much on its own. Some would say that's the way you should be using a Klon anyway! For me, though, the Tumnus Deluxe can work on its own.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  13. dblues

dblues Tele-Holic

Tumnus. Bought it for the size, kept it for the sound.

I was looking for a clean/low gain boost with a small footprint and saw a Tumnus mini on CL for a good price so I got it. I liked that it was buffered and it fit in the last little bit of real estate on my recently downsized board at the end of the signal chain. I tend to not bond with mid boosting pedals but with the tone at 1 or 2 o'clock the high end was pleasing and I was happy with it. The surprise came later when I rearranged the board and it ended up third in line behind tuner and vintage style fuzz. Started using the gain for lead boost and really liked the sound so it kicked another pedal off the board. I like fuzz for over-the-top gain sounds so I'm fine with the range of the Tumnus. Fired up after the fuzz really helps the fuzz cut through and I can set the Tumnus to unity or slight volume boost in that application. Lastly, I have used either my joyo american sound or tc spark boost to "warm up" my ss Princeton 65 when playing clean sounds. Both of these pedals are much more versatile then the Tumnus but when I dime the tone on the Tumnus it does that job and surprise...no increase in noise to the signal chain! In fact I can dime both gain and tone with zero noise increase. For some reason my ears don't complain about the bass increase that seems to be the main draw back for many with this pedal.

I like my Chicago Stomp Works bare box BB clone. Think it was about $60 shipped.

bluesholyman likes this.
  14. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

I had a Tumnus and it was just okay. I have a Rimrock Mythical Overdrive that is much better. YMMV.

15. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

That's like voting for a candidate because he seems like he would be fun to have a beer with...

16. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Meister

That's how politics works. :) But we're not allowed to discuss that here.

17. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

I bought an Mxr Sugar Drive a couple years ago. It's also a Klon clone. I A-B'd against a raft of OD's and it came out the winner. It does everything from almost clean boost to adding bunches of dirt and sustain. I assume any Klon clone does approx the same thing, and it was relatively inexpensive.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.