Questions and Doubts about Rondo Stuff

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by David L, Aug 18, 2013.

1. David L

David L TDPRI Member

Hello again peeps.

I was watching the following vid on Youtube, and I’d like to know your opinion on what this man says about Rondo products and guitars in general.

“Rondo Agile SX Douglas Guitars plus Xaviere JUNK By Scott Grove”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR6AISsgF2Q

Though I don’t care much for the man itself [and please never mind about his attitude, try to stick to what he says in the vid], I’d agree with him in general [90% I’d say].

But I’m rather curious about some guitars from Rondo. I heard and read some good reviews and some negative ones about the products they sell, and since I can’t be there in person to evaluate their products [which is the only way for me to buy something, really], I still am curious enough to buy a baritone from them.

Please leave your thoughts.

2. LeftyAl

LeftyAl Friend of Leo's

I tried to watch that video, butI can't get past his attitude.A very unhappy fellow

3. David L

David L TDPRI Member

Hi, acalan. yeah he seems to be. And it's not the only one where he shows it either.
    Do you have any experience with Rondo material?

4. tweeddeluxe

tweeddeluxe Tele-Afflicted

I bought a B stock vintage sunburst Agile 2000 (Faux Paul) with a wide neck from them a couple years ago. The only complaint I have is that it's heavy. Other than that, the fit and finish is superb, setup was pretty good out of the box, no flaws that I could find. The neck is superb. Even the pickups sound pretty darn good. I don't give a fig what the body is made of or whether the flamed maple neck is paper thin veneer, or paper for that matter. At $185, or two or three times that price, it was a steal.

5. NastyMojo

NastyMojo Tele-Afflicted

I've had lots of their products through my hands and some I have owned personally. I have to say they are of great quality. Not for the price, but just for guitars in general. I had a Agile AL3000, man I miss that one. Played better than any Gibson LP I've ever played. The guy in the video is annoying, and his attitude is horrible.

6. LeftyAl

LeftyAl Friend of Leo's

I bought a SX lp copy .New, for 99$ Plays fine, no string buzz anywhere on the fret board.I do prefer my teles ,but I'm quite happy with it. I'm not a pro, and I'm not in a band,but for $99 my only complaint might be the weight.About 9 1/2 lbs.But my teles all weigh in at about 9 lbs.

7. David L

David L TDPRI Member

hey, thanks for the kind reply tweedeluxe.

I personaly don't care for the material the guitar is made of either [that much I agree with what the man said], as long as it is well built [and I agree with you on that as well].

Since I'm from Portugal and we don't have a Rondo shop here, I have to order mine from overseas. I don't like buying stuff that I don't try out for myself, but due to the distance and the fact they seem quite inexpensive, I got interested in some of their products. :D

Mr. Scott calls it Junk and misaligned stuff, some other peope [such as yourself] say it's cool. I get a bit confused as you might imagine. But willing to bet on some of their products.

I do have to confess, however, that I'm willing to bet on their products

8. dlc1953

dlc1953 Tele-Meister

Yup! Still have mine Luv it!And a TC630[tele] love it also. Will buy another Agile LP copy again maybe a neck thru one!

9. David L

David L TDPRI Member

thanks for the help NastyMojo. ahah, his attitude is a bit off indeed.
    It so happens that I'm in love with an Agile AL3000 Silver Burst myself. And a baritone [GAS has his dirty fingers on me]

10. David L

David L TDPRI Member

thank you for the help acalan.
    I owned a preety inexpensive Tele mokery as my first guitar. Pretty heavy, solid as a rock [except for the neck and the place where the neck joins the body, where it broke beyond repair on me...], played awesome. I miss it... alas...

Anyways, I'm willing to bet on the Rondo folks after your personal experiences.

11. RiverDog

RiverDog Tele-Afflicted

That guy drives me absolutely nuts! I'm convinced he just makes these videos because he's bored and he likes the sound of his own voice.

I've owned a couple of Agile guitars and they were great. The only problem I see with Rondo is that Kurt the owner has a lot of trouble, especially lately, with quality control from whatever Chinese and Korean factories he buys from. I'm a member on the Agile Guitar Forum and there have been quite a few complaints from people receiving guitars that aren't 100% right. That being said Kurt will always stand behind his product and will make it right if you get a screwed up guitar or it doesn't match your order.

12. David L

David L TDPRI Member

Hello RiverDog, and thank you for the kind reply. It's good to know that some people still stand for what they do and care for the client's satisfaction.
    Also great to read it from a Agile forum member such as yourself.

Yeah... I saw some of his vids, though I agree with many of the stuff he says about guitars and the major brands, his attitude is really sad to watch. :oops:

13. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

He may have a few good points and it might be easier to hear and believe some of them if they weren't mixed in with his rants and axes to grind. At around the 12:00 minute plus mark I got so tired of him bragging about how much he knows and how well off he is that I shut it off.

I don't appreciate being called a stupid mutherf'er for what I choose to play and I don't even own any of those first few "total pieces of ****" he mentioned. I believe I can judge guitars fairly well (I've sure owned enough of them) and some of my pieces of **** play quite well and sound great. Others have shared that same opinion with me.

The guy sounds like a dikhead who doesn't know as much as he thinks he knows, he's conceited and arrogant and sounds like he took one too many tokes off the bowl before he turned on the camera. He's was boring me to death and wearing me out with all of his negativity.

Those are MY thoughts. YMMV

PS: FWIW actual millionaires don't usually go around telling folks they are. They don't have to. It's the ones who aren't that usually brag that they are. This guy has major issues. :rolleyes:

14. David L

David L TDPRI Member

Hello Soulman, eheh, the dude is annoying and all for sure, but he does have some good points I do share with him. The name calling is absurd to say the least indeed, but I believe he does so because he was getting thrashed on some of his vids [now I believe no comments are allowed... like a sulky child].

My main interest was about Rondo stuff. I'm opened to all reviews [good and bad] as long as they are truthfull. His ranting about Rondo made me even more curious about Rondo materials.

As for the name calling... I couldn't care less. Not even for his wealth.

15. honeycreek

honeycreek Tele-Afflicted

I gig an Agile AS-820. I changed the pickups but even that was not necessary. For full disclosure, while I have other guitars, none are the price level of a comparable Gibson. However, I have to worry about my $2k (used) banjo sitting there in the open but not as much about the Agile. They both sound and play great. :D

If you are thinking their $100 guitars are going to be the same as a $3k custom shop... :rolleyes The $100 guitars are ok though and could be made gig worthy (I have 2). The Agile I have was gig-able right out of the box. I keep looking at the Agile LP's and wanting one even though I have no reason for needing one.

While the Rondo products probably don't compare favorably to most of the vintage guitars hanging on Scott's walls, that is no reason to tear them down. I've played several guitars with Gibson and Fender on the headstock that I wouldn't trade for my Agile.

16. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Rule number one says that if they aren't listening or paying attention stop talking! Insulting your listeners is a great way to get listened to even less which is exactly what I did.

As for Rondo's guitars I'd say they're worth what you pay for them. In some cases if you have working knowledge of replacement parts and your skilled with tools and soldering iron you can turn them into nicely upgraded guitars. But you have to remember that in the end you still have a Rondo and it will never be worth what you've put it into to others.

If it was me I would tend to buy them only on the lower end of the price scale. The best values seem to be in the $100-$200 range. After that you can find used models from others that would be better buys. So if you're looking for some advice FWIW that would be mine. They're playable but not top notch playable.

I'm no millionaire but I have been playing for about 40 years and I've bought and sold more vintage guitars long before they became vintage than I will ever admit. If you can pick up and play enough guitars eventually you can tell the good from the bad in about two minutes. So look at this as part of your learning experience David and I hope you find a nice one that you like. :D

17. David L

David L TDPRI Member

Hello Honeycreek and thank you for the kind answer.
    I don't do gigs at all... just play at home and sometimes with a friend or two locally, but that's it. So I don't have the gig problem.
    As for brands I really don't care for them at all. I know there are a lot of great guitars [well built, nice pups...] out there somewhere just begging for me to grab them, sadly other than the major [and expensive and somewhat and overrated] brands, we don't fine many cheap guitars anywhere [other than Stag]. And I really dislike buying stuff blindly. Not because I'm overdemanding, it's just because I like to "like" what I buy.

Rondo stuff caught my attention some time ago. Never heard of them before and I'm still in the process of finding peps experience with them.

Tell me [and all you peeps] what you think about owning these guitars from Rondo:

SX Furrian RN SSS 2TS
    http://www.rondomusic.com/stl622ts.html
    Agile AL-2000 627 Black Flame [the 27'' got my attention]
    http://www.rondomusic.com/al2000627blackflm.html
    SX Furrian MN HH TBR w/Bag [ala '72 with a whamy... delicious]
    http://www.rondomusic.com/furrianrnhhtbr.html
    Agile AL-2000 Silverburst [this is the one I'm in love with]
    http://www.rondomusic.com/al2000slvr.html
    Agile AL-2000 627 Silverburst [also 27'' but cheaper... and in silverburst]
    http://www.rondomusic.com/AL2000627SILverburst.html

18. David L

David L TDPRI Member

Indeed. I pay no attention to his attitude. Only the info stays [even if laughable, at least I get someone elses' perspective].

I thank you kindly for all advice. I got a lot to learn about materials and other physics as for instruments. I mostly rely on my own ears. What sounds good to me, is good to me.

I believe I'm going to call the Rondo folks and ask about what is needed for them to send their stuff to Portugal [IF they actually do it]. If they do not, I may have to ask a friend or two from the USA to send it for me.

Cheers man.

19. Nightatthehotel

Nightatthehotel Tele-Holic

The only thing that's "major ***** all around" is his attitude.

20. shovelrider

shovelrider Tele-Afflicted

I have an Agile 3000m. The 'm' meaning it has the 3/4 inch solid maple cap. It is an outstanding guitar and one of my favorites that I have ever owned.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.