1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Questions about Trussart and other steel Teles

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Kelleycaster, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Kelleycaster

Kelleycaster Tele-Meister

Hey gang,
    In my last thread, I mentioned plans to build a Tele body out of steel, and I have a few questions for those that have seen Trussart or other steel Teles in person. I’m not trying to make an exact copy of a particular guitar, but figured I’d learn as much as I can from the construction techniques used by others.

I’ve thought about having a wooden block extending from the neck pocket to the bridge to assist in support and tone. Is this how other makers are doing it? I could certainly build a strong version with no wooden block, and I don’t mind having a somewhat unique tone. What do you guys think?

Also, what’s an ideal thickness of sheet to use for the main body, and should I add braces for extra rigidity?
    Having braces was my original intention until someone said they think Trussart doesn’t use them.

If anyone here has done a metal tele build or has pictures of the inside of one, I’d love to check them out!

Thanks,
    Chris

2. smoothrecluse

smoothrecluse Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I don’t know if this will be of any help, but this video is a tour of his shop.

3. Kelleycaster

Kelleycaster Tele-Meister

Thanks for the vid. I definitely learned from it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.