Questions about selling guitar parts

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by cherryburst1, Jun 13, 2021.

1. cherryburst1

cherryburst1 TDPRI Member

Is there a big difference in price between selling a early '80's seriously roadworn body with or without the electronics?
    I'm considering selling just the body of my #1. I have shoulder injuries and can't handle all that weight on my shoulder anymore.
    I am not selling the neck---ever, but I would like to keep the electronics unless there is a exponential difference in value with it included.
    I could replace the electronics for around $200 so if it doesn't add more value than that, I'd rather keep the electronics and neck and build me a copy of old Jenny that looks and plays and sounds like her but without all the weight.
    Thanks in advance for the advice...

2. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

Is there something special or unusual about the electronics besides the pickups? I would say that generally a used set of pickups goes for around 60% of the new price. And an old, beat up body may not sell for as much as you think - if it was brand new with fake wear marks, you might be on to something.

If you are not in a rush, list it for the price you hope to get and see if you get any bites. I am starting to suspect that this recent "price hike" stuff is a hike in asking prices though, not so much actual selling prices.

3. Supa Necta

Supa Necta TDPRI Member

Post pics. I’d venture to say we’d all like to see a cool old roadworn body.

4. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Friend of Leo's

Ummm......

People pay more for pre-relicd guitars, you're not on the wrong path. I wouldn't include the guts. Offer the pickgaurd.

Pictures. We need pictures.

The issue I see is people are used to whole guitar weight, so include what it was with neck a d without. Show heel pocket stamp for added credibility, as well as beginning of serial #. What's it made out of?

I'm not saying you're sitting on gold, but you'll get a few hundred if it looks cool. You're offering an alternative to a Warmoth body, so you're not hitting $450 or whatever they charge, but someone can drop a $300 neck onto what you're selling and have one hell of a cool looking partscaster for less than $800.

jays0n likes this.
  5. macoshark

macoshark TDPRI Member

Don't bother with Electronics. If you have an authentic WR body that should be enough for anyone doing a parts caster. It would add value if the trem and bridge came with it in my opinion. Good luck. Daphee blue full.jpg Here's the loaded PG I put in this VM Surfcaster

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  6. 63telemaster

63telemaster Tele-Meister

By coincidence I was just thinking of posting a very similar thread to this one as I have a high quality parts strat that I shall be selling but I'm in two minds whether to break it for parts or sell as a complete guitar.

In your case, my feelings would be to sell the body with neck plate/screws, bridge assembly and input jackplate and then sell the pickups/controls/pickguard separately as a mounted set. Just makes things more convenient for buyers.

7. cherryburst1

I have the original 1981 tremolo, but the saddles are new--the originals had major problems. I might have 4 or 5 of the original saddles. One of them couldn't be saved, and I tossed it way back when, not realizing it had collector value....
    I thought I might someday repair the other saddles, but I gave up on that idea.
    I have the original pickguard, pickup covers and switch knob and pot knobs. I changed all that out when it all started having that green/grey patina. I might have the original jack plate.

macoshark likes this.
  8. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

keep the electronics, the more you include the more you lose and the buyer probably has his own favorites anyway...

cherryburst1 likes this.
  9. cherryburst1

Why do people want new guitars with fake wear? I'm more confused now than ever....

10. cherryburst1

Everybody has their own ideas about the sounds they like. For me, the quintessential strat sound is the bridge lead to "Peaches and Diesel" by Clapton. Back in '82, I played no telling how many strats looking for that tone. I even had a phillips screwdriver with me to tweak the pickup heights, trying to find it. None of them could get it exactly. When I plugged in #1, there it was. Switch #2 pos. vol&tone 10---presto.....It cost a fortune for back then, but it didn't matter. With the case the music store wanted $1250 (and that included a 40% good customer discount...) It was ridiculous, but I had to get it. I was told it had a poly finish. Around '92, the years of being dragged up and down the southwest revealed a different story. I'll get some pics up.

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  11. TeleUpNorth

TeleUpNorth Tele-Meister

I think the price hike is legit. I’ve sold several items lately and got far more than I paid for some less than a year ago.

Blackmore Fan and Drew617 like this.
  12. cherryburst1

Pics of my #1 after suffering the southwest circuit for a few years....The finish problems on back are due to major checking and crazing and injuries on the lower bout and strap wear...... I never wore buckles..AFAIK, Poly finishes don't do this.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    Blackmore Fan and TeleUpNorth like this.
  13. cherryburst1

Posted pics for you guys....

14. Supa Necta

Supa Necta TDPRI Member

Looks awesome!

15. TeleUpNorth

TeleUpNorth Tele-Meister

Almost makes me want it, but my wife would shoot me for starting another project!

16. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

The complete guitar may have subjective value. The body alone, not so much. Where would the rest of the heavy relic parts come from to complete it? It it were me, I’d buy a light weight body with a bathtub route with a solid or sunburst satin nitro finish and do a light relic job on it myself. Keep the body on your guitar now so it can be restored down the road.

985plowboy likes this.
  17. cherryburst1

Well, I have the original grey/green knobs, pickguard and pickup covers that could go with it, but the tremolo has new saddles, the original electronics all new plastic in a new white pickguard and the neck is repaired and soon to be refinished, so there isn't anything else that looks distressed.

telemnemonics likes this.
  18. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Holic

Throw in the plastics if aged/roadworn, you'll get more.

Danb541 likes this.
  19. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Keep the original body.
    Buy a replacement body of your choice and transfer the guts.

Danb541 likes this.
  20. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Holic

You can buy all kinds of fake aged parts. This will probably sell for more than you think. However the colour I dig but a sienna type burst is not for everyone and especially worn. If it was a 80’s worn out fender reissue then you might have something. So is this a late 80’s standard?

If so it’s still going to be a type of polyurethane unless it’s extremely thick nitro?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.