Questions about Nashville Telecaster Deluxe

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by fueradeljuego, Feb 24, 2018.

1. fueradeljuego

fueradeljuego TDPRI Member

I recently got a good deal for a like-new 2016 model fiesta red Nashville Telecaster Deluxe ($450, including a decent aftermarket hardshell case). (I was expecting a Pau Ferro fretboard but it looks like rosewood to me). I jumped on it without really trying it out first. I like it, but I have a few concerns.

The sound is great. I think you lose some of the tele sound, and it's not exactly a strat sound either but the hybrid sound is extremely pleasing, I love it! I would have no problem performing "Sultans of Swing" with this guitar, something I couldn't have imagined before on a Tele. On the other hand I could just as easily turn around and, with the bridge pickup, play "Workin' Man Blues". Really the best of both worlds!

But I find the guitar difficult to play. Not so much the 12" radius--as a classical player I love that in fact. What gives me pause is the "stiffness" of the action. I'm not really digging the narrow, high frets, but I could used to that. The stiff action just makes it hard to play. Is there anyway to remedy that? I mean lighter string gauge is the obvious solution, but I've always used .10's and am hesitant to go down to .09's. I have a Squier CV tele with .10's and action is positively slinky. With the Nashville Tele I get a hernia bending up a whole step. Other than the lighters strings, what can be done? Thanks y'all!

2. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

I think it just goes to show that all guitars are different - most of the Nashville Deluxes I've encountered have been pretty slinky playing. But I've of the 3-4 Thinline Deluxes I have tried out have all been stiff like you describe your Nashville Deluxe.

Regarding the fingerboard wood - Fender didn't change to Pau Ferro until almost half-way through 2017; the 2016s would all be rosewood.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  3. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

That sounds to me like the nut slots are too high, if you’ve already tweaked saddle height & neck relief.

boris bubbanov and SonsOfMoog like this.
  4. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Afflicted

this may be a stupid question but have you changed the strings to your brand or did you leave the ones that came with it on? have you set it up to suit you yet?

5. fueradeljuego

Not a stupid question at all, I have not changed the strings yet because they seemed to be in good shape when I got it. I know they are .10's though. My set up guy verified it with calipers and also adjusted the intonation at the saddles. I don't think he messed with the relief...the action is good at the 12th fret. However the action is high at the first fret and I'm wondering if the nut is the problem. In the two pictures below, one is the nut of the Nashville tele, the other of my Squier CV tele...clearly the Nashville Tele has a higher (and bigger) nut.

IMG_4523.jpg
    IMG_4524.jpg

heltershelton likes this.
  6. SonsOfMoog

SonsOfMoog Tele-Meister

I agree with this suggestion. Additionally, the neck may have been shimmed with by the previous owner. It couldn't hurt to double check the neck pocket. You could also confirm the neck stamps match the model while you're there.

7. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Afflicted

yeah i think the nut in the first pic needs to be worked on a bit. also, different brands of strings can have different tensions, even if they are the same gauge. and who knows how old the strings are, even if they look new. i would get someone good to work on that nut (thats if you dont know how) and set it up how you like it. i played one of those in a local music store and it wasnt stiff at all.

8. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

A lotta new guitars have high nut slots. Being just a bit high can really affect lower position feel.

9. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Ok, you're getting close. Now just lose the middle pickup, and you're good to go! ;)

10. teleplayer99

teleplayer99 Tele-Meister

The Nashville deluxe is an excellent choice

11. BGTele

BGTele Tele-Afflicted

The nut slot does look high on the one string. Nashville Ds are wonderful Teles. Try the second pickup position for country sounds. I've had two of them and never found the action too high.

fueradeljuego likes this.
  12. MMARSH

MMARSH Tele-Meister

This^ an easy test to see how high they are (eyeballs don't work for this) is to use a tuner. Make sure you string is in tune, then fret at the first position and see if you get exactly half a step up. If you are more than a few cents off, you need to fix this, or get it fixed. I am always amazed at how well guitars play after I have adjusted the nut.

fueradeljuego likes this.
  13. fueradeljuego

Yeah, the F on the sixth string is more than a few cents off. Gonna have my guy work on the nut as well as filing down some pretty sharp fret edges (what's up with that?). So, I gotta a great deal but I'm getting ready to put some $ into it. Hope I love it afterwards.

You guys think I should try .09's?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  14. BGTele

BGTele Tele-Afflicted

Yes, you should try 9s. You should anyway. This is not exact science, we should experiment
    to get the best sound and playability out of our guitars. Try 9s, go back to 10s, go back to 9s again. Get a full hit of the feel of both. Get to know all possibilities.

15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nice price!

News flash: You have the Previous form of the Nashville Deluxe, the one with the 9.5 inch board radius and the medium jumbo fretwire. And you better believe that is East Indian Rosewood and not the Pau Ferro they do now. Look at the Ping Split shaft tuning machines - the new version doesn't have that.

So. You may wanna dial some more relief out, and if you could, show us what Bridge type you have. You may be able to improve your guitar a lot by replacing the stock bridge.

16. fueradeljuego

Well that's interesting if true but my setup guy pulled out his stu-mac radius-measuring kit and confirmed the it was a 12-inch radius as advertised. It has the six-saddle modern bridge.

17. fueradeljuego

IMG_4525.jpg

18. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Boris - fueradeljuego posted photos of both his guitars (the 2016 Nashville Tele and a Squier CV Tele); I think you're looking at the photo of the CV. He definitely has the current version with the 12" radius neck (but pre-switch to Pau Ferro).

ozzeng likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.