1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Questions about my Planned Mods to my Affinity Squire Fat Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Platefire, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

If we had a "Stratocaster Technical" thread, I would post this on that, but we don't so here we go:

I have a 2005 Affinity Squire HSS Fat Strat that I like a lot and am pretty happy with the Humbucker
    but the single coils are just not sounding like I would like. Plus the wiring has the 500k pots and the switch and pots have gave me problems. I took the pick-gard off used Deoxit 5 on it and they are doing ok for now. BTW the ax is completely stock except the Dynaguide string trees I put on it. So I got it set up with floating trem, got the neck and action set the way I like it. So it's staying in tune and feeling really good.

So having said all that, I'm thinking of a Christmas mod. New Pickups and a Blending mod with all new pots, cap and wiring. I don't want to spend big bucks on real high end parts for this Squire, only better parts that would be a definite improvement over what I got.

So I have been researching the subject and this is what I came up with. For pickups I'm thinking these Fender Player(Mexico) Strat pickups from Stratosphere:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=383842447019

Also, this is a moderatly price blender wiring kit that looks pretty good that includes complete wiring kit with blender mod/pot:

https://toneshapers.com/toneshapers-wiring-kit-stratocaster-sss1-blender.html

I'm thinking this will all work together well but I may have missed something???? So before I put an order through for this stuff, I thought I would ask the question.

BTW---Here is a pix of my Strat that it will be going into. Platefire

DSC03881.JPG

2. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

The one mod I always did to a Strat before just putting HB's in was putting a series parallel switch in for the combo selections, always added some fatness while staying bright enough.

On my H/S/S guitar, I replaced the 5 way switch with a 3-way and wired the middle & neck pickups together in series as a HB on the 3-way switch. Even though the 2 singles aren't right next to each other, it makes a great HB neck pickup.

3. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

As far as Fat toned singles go, Cavalier Pickups have some Fat toned neck and middle singles or Rob could wind you up some.

4. Platefire

Thanks Zepfan

Thanks for your suggestions but I really want the single coil section neck and middle to be like a classic strat and the Humbucker just to do what humbuckers do. Kind of like Dr Jekyll and Mr Hide on the same guitar. That's why I chose the pickup set chosen and linked previous. So I still haven't got the question answered, does it look like the parts referenced and linked look like they will be happy when merged into my Affinity Strat? From what I know, seems llike it will but it don't hurt to have an extra sets of eyes on it.

Seems most blender mods are applied to S/S/S strats. Not sure how it would work with the humbucker threw in the mix. I did check into the American strat schematic and they do use 250K pots instead of the 500K's in my Affinity. So it looks like the wiring kit will bring it to American Standard like operation except with blender and master tone. Platefire

BTW---I think I'll leave out the treble bleed caps in the reference wiring kit. Most of the time, I don't like the effect they have and snip them out of the circuit. I actually like my guitar tone to mellow out at lower volumes.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
  5. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Meister

Those new MIM pickups are supposed to be great for that vintage strat tone. Not sure how they will mix with the ceramic humbucker though. I guess the blender mod might help dial the humbucker back. Worst case, you will have vintage strat tone for positions 3 through 5 and an aggressive humbucker tone for position 1.

6. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

The seller's description says the humbucker is alnico 2. Singles are A5.

7. Platefire

Yes, I said in my original post that I kind of liked the original ceramic humbucker but if I purchase the Player Strat pickups, I'll definitely use that Alnico 2 bucker that comes with that. Platefire

8. Platefire

Ok, this is a question I'm starting to have regarding the Player Strat Pickups----- will my string spacings on my Squier line up with the poles on the Fender PU's??

I've been trying to find specs with the pole spacings for the Player but haven't found them yet! Any help on that would be appreciated. Platefire

9. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Meister

You know what might be kinda cool? A stacked single coil sized hb in the neck, and with a different pickguard (and if your rout in the bridge allows), an angled double coil in the bridge. You could keep a single coil in the middle, or omit. Might give you a little different look and feel than they typical hh big apple strat setup.

10. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Meister

First off - I think that's an excellent price for quality pickups which, thanks to the A5 and A2 magnets, should have a different tone and feel than what you're currently using. Nice job finding them! I say go for it - the change may be to your liking, and if not, you could sell them EASILY without much of a loss, if any.

As for string spacing, I don't have the exact specs anymore (just tossed my notebook of arcane measurements from my guitars!!) but I'm 99% certain that it will work, and you've got a good return policy with Stratosphere anyway. I've owned Affinity, MIM Standard and American Std strats, and the trems on those were all wider than Gibsons but not as wide as the old vintage style 2-7/32". I think the Player series carries forward the same "let's go with more modern bridge and nut specs" philosophy as the old MIM Std and American Std. So the humbucker spacing from that should be fine.

11. 1 21 gigawatts

That makes sense then. I didn't click the link. I thought that you were getting the Player single coils and using your existing humbucker.

12. Platefire

Thanks very much Ron for a confirmation on Player PU's choice. I think there at a very good price for what your getting. I did some more checking and it seems the standard spacing for fender pickups single coils and humbuckers is 52 mm or 2 1/16" from center to center of outer poles. I'll check my Affinity tonight. Platefire

13. 1 21 gigawatts

The spacing will be fine. The humbucker will be F-spaced. It will work with all of the Fender bridge spacings.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.