1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Questions about my Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Bejnay, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Bejnay

Bejnay TDPRI Member

Hey Everyone!

been a member here awhile, but rarely post. I’m hoping to mine you fine folks for some advice/information. I’m building my dad a custom tele for his birthday (in May), and this is my first attempt at building. I have the neck and body. The body is an XGP from Guitar Fetish, which uses a ‘61 tele custom as its template. I bought the hardware and everything to finish it already. I just received the neck, which was bought from TheStratosphere parts. It’s a vintage spec neck with the 25.5” scale, 11/32” holes for tuners, a 1 5/8” nut, and no pre-drills for string trees.

My questions are as follows:

1. Do I need string trees?
    2. Related to string trees, will vintage staggered tuners remove the need for them?
    3. Anyone have any suggestions for which tuners would be best for this build?
    4. Am I correct that I need the 43mm slotted nut? (I’m awful with converting the fraction)

Thank you, to any and all of you willing to share your expertise. I really appreciate it. This project means the world to me, so any help is great help. I’ll try to attach some pics below. 9263F73E-8F5E-4C5C-AC99-C75319060BE3.png 580CFB3A-1EC3-4448-84DE-3CC9D0B718D1.png 20B2409D-C433-4DE6-BF6D-4B45B0CC956D.jpeg 56935491-FFC5-4DCC-A349-F5F212DE82E6.jpeg

2. G&Lplayer

G&Lplayer Tele-Meister

I use staggered locking tuners without string trees, works for me. I like Sperzel tuners, pricey but nice.

RedRhino, Bejnay and wadeeinkauf like this.
  3. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Fine looking neck & body there.
    :cool:

hemingway and Bejnay like this.
  4. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nice looking wood! Looking forward to posts on progress. What color will it be?

Staggered tuners should remove the need for string trees. To my eye, a headstock looks weird without them.

5. Sweet Lou 275

Sweet Lou 275 Tele-Meister

Agree with G&Lplayer. Staggered tuners should remove the need for string trees. Wife uses them on her Tele's. I believe Hipshot makes a set of staggered for vintage size peghead holes. They also have the universal adapter plate which I love. No screw holes for the tuners. 43mm should be close on the nut. Might have to file the outside edges a touch, but not much if at all.

6. Bejnay

Bejnay TDPRI Member

I wasn’t expecting this beautiful of a neck. The pics they had up were really light reddish mahogany, and I ended up with this! I’m going to try to match the body with the neck. For the neck, I’m just gonna grain fill, sand, fill again, sand again, and then maybe an oil finish to preserve the colour, but make the grain pop, then a light lacquer, followed by a high grit sand to get a satin finish for playability. On the body, I want to find a matching stain, and once I have it where I want, i’m calling in a favour to have it done in an auto body shop for the clear coat

Boreas likes this.
  7. Bejnay

Bejnay TDPRI Member

Thanks for this, I’ll definitely look into it. This is my first build, and an important one. I’m going to do this all over again, but for myself, and do a mahogany body and neck.

8. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Holic

should be sweet! No string trees needed.

9. Bejnay

Bejnay TDPRI Member

Thanks to everyone for all the help. Gonna order the parts I need tomorrow

10. SammyC

SammyC Tele-Meister

They both look lovely. But I don't think you should try to stain the body to match the neck (this is just my opinion of course!).

It will always be slightly different, you won't get an identical match, so personally I would highlight that difference! Either an obviously different colour stain, or just natural as from what I can see it looks pretty nice as it is.

Looking forward to the progress :)

Bejnay likes this.
  11. Bejnay

Bejnay TDPRI Member

I thought for awhile about having them contrast, much like a lot of people do with the back/front of guitars, but I’m at a loss for what would both jump out at you, and not be gawdy. I’m not against it, just not sure what would go well with the dark neck.

Any ideas?

12. SammyC

SammyC Tele-Meister

I did a Google image search when I did mine. The front of the guitar is a dark walnut burl, the back is stained a medium brown and the two are separated by a cream binding:

I see that you've got what looks like an ivory or cream binding on the body? You could see if a mid brown works, so the neck is dark brown, body a mid brown, and a cream binding.

13. Bejnay

Bejnay TDPRI Member

The guys from Stratosphere emailed me this morning, because I emailed yesterday asking if they sent me the wrong neck, because of how dark it is. Guy said it’s rosewood. I only paid $279 Canadian for it. Their rosewood necks go for above $300USD. I have to change my whole plan, as I don’t know how to work with rosewood at all, but they’re not getting it back. The guy in the warehouse is gonna have to eat this one

14. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

real nice - i like regular old Fender tuners -I use staggered but still like a tree on the high strings-I don't think its necessary. tusq pre slotted nut i recommend. You will probably need some patience, sandpaper and files to get everything together

15. Bejnay

Bejnay TDPRI Member

the nut width is 41mm on the neck I have, and the nut I ordered (aged white Tusq XL) is 42.5mm I believe, so a little work will have to be done for sure. I went with the Hipshot suggestion for the tuners, as the universal mounting plate just seemed the easiest for a beginner like me.

I’m excited that the neck people made a mistake. My dad’s favourite is rosewood, and I didn’t have the necessary cash at the time to buy him one, so I settled for Mahogany. This is a great happy accident

16. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

I've been using the Gotoh staggered vintage tuners. Used them on 4 or 5 necks so far.

They work real well without string trees, but keep in mind that the nut figures into the equation.

You want an accurate and correct shape to the nut string slots. I do a lot of bending in the lower frets, down in cowboy country, and don't have any problems with strings jumping out of slots

You can find the staggered height Gotohs for around $35 to maybe $40 bucks shipped, a few bucks more than regular post height.

They come with 2 short, 2 medium, and 2 regular height posts in a set.

RedRhino likes this.
  17. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

Staining the body might not look all that good. I can see it's made from several different pieces, especially the top on the upper left. The wood looks like it might take stain very differently and show an obvious line between the wood sections. I hope that make sense. The great thing is, you can always paint over the stain if it doesn't look right and maybe it will turn out looking really cool. Don;t know until you try. You lucked out on that neck, it looks great.

Boreas likes this.
  18. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

What some people do on bound bodies it stain the top and paint the back. That way you actually contrast the neck from the body when looking from the back.

Danb541 likes this.
  19. RedRhino

RedRhino TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Staggered tuners will eliminate the need for string trees- others have mentioned some good choices. I'm kind of fond of Klusons. That's a nice looking neck! As for the body- I have just run out of patience with Guitarfetish- the wait time for orders is crazy long even though they run PayPal as soon as you order- my last order went out of stock on an item that was in stock when I ordered it 10 days prior. Bad way to do business- if it's from too many orders I need to start importing some cheap bodies from China.....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.