1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Questions about Blues Deluxe RI

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by INFANT, Apr 2, 2021.

1. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

I’m looking at picking up another Blues Deluxe. I sold my original US made BD a few years ago and picked up a Katana 100. Well the Katana honeymoon is over and I miss my BD. I saw a Blues Deluxe RI for sale in the local ads and I’m wondering if there’s anything or any specific years that were bad. The original BD’s had the channel switching problem and I was wondering if that was corrected on the reissues.

I would appreciate any information regarding what I should look out for on these amps.

2. budglo

budglo Tele-Meister

As far as I know they corrected that and other issues with the current reissues. I had a blues deluxe from 2005 that was rock solid .

INFANT likes this.
  3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I have owned exactly one Blues Jr. I bought it because it was a no lose situation...it was playing and I could sell it immediately for a small profit at a price below the market...said market for these amps being beyond my understanding. I sold it within a week and was glad it left and never came back around. Ommv, but the price of a new one is a good way down the path of owning something like this that doesn’t lose value, has great sonics, and is a much better built amp.....a 1972 Princeton Reverb. E33BFBBB-F8D3-41FC-B244-C40BA505F029.jpeg

Willie Johnson and INFANT like this.
  4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

My bandmate has a newish BD - the Tweed one with the Cannabis Rex speaker. After we swapped V1 for a 12AT7 it's a decent sounding amp - but it's freakin' loud. At our gig last night he was battling volume. If you don't play in a band it's not an issue but if you do, you'll end up on volume 2-3 maximum.

You know what they sound like - big clean, pedal platforms. There's lots around and techs are very familiar with them. Due to similarly of Blues Deluxe and Hotrod series as they use the same main board.

Their build is not the best but they sound OK. Not much like a real old Fender.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    INFANT likes this.
  5. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

Thanks for your responses. Like I said, I already owned an original BD from the ‘90s so I know how loud it is and what it sounds like. I’m just hoping to hear if Fender made any modification that improved reliability. Mine was reliable for almost 20 yrs before the channel switching bugaboo hit it.

6. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

20 years doesn't sound like a "reliability" issue to me. That sounds like the age any electronic piece of gear needs a good general service.

budglo and INFANT like this.
  7. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

I’m not complaining about the reliability of my old amp, it was a workhorse. It’s just that when it did finally start acting up, it was the standard channel switching problem that was caused by the overheated ceramic resistors on the PCB. The proper fix was to elevate them off of the board. Just wondering if they started doing this on the RI amps

corliss1 likes this.
  8. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

The issues you are likely to encounter are the same. Big 5 watt cement resistors unsolder themselves and cook the PCB which causes both switching and reverb issues.

The preamp has too much gain which causes volume to jump from whisper at 1.5 to blaring at 1.6. It's like having a tube screamer in front turned on all the time.

That's curable to some degree with a lower gain V1, which also improves reverb and eqs.

The component soldering is tres' ordinaire. The first one I worked on ten or more years ago the elephant snot soldering on the power tubes pins came unstuck. The Blues/Hotrod series also cooks flameproof resistors in the bias circuit.

All those things are fixable.

As long as you have eyes open, no foul.

INFANT likes this.
  9. BlueCajun

BlueCajun Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I’ve only had an original BD that I sold some years ago because I needed something not so loud. From what I’ve gathered, the reissues are the same circuit with the addition of a bias adjustment capability.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.