Question's about b benders.....

tooloud

Tele-Meister
Got one of the new Fender JV Modified ’60s Custom Telecaster
JV001553-front-xlarge.jpg

thinking about getting a b bender for it, I see the routed versions like Parsons/Forrest Lee and the Drill Thru like Glaser/McVay seems to be split who like's what, not sure which way to go.. Never played a b bender guitar but play some stuff that would be nice to have one and learn how to use it.... looking for any advice i can get.

control voltage

TDPRI Member
Another option you might consider is a Hipshot bender, which won't require routing. It would be a different animal, since the B-bending is controlled with a lever actuated by the player's hip, as opposed to the upper strap button, but it's less expensive, and reversible. They can also be had with a palm lever for the G, and a lever to drop the E to D, and other variations.

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
From what i have read here, it adds a lot of weight to guitars. They might be fun though.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Another option you might consider is a Hipshot bender, which won't require routing. It would be a different animal, since the B-bending is controlled with a lever actuated by the player's hip, as opposed to the upper strap button, but it's less expensive, and reversible. They can also be had with a palm lever for the G, and a lever to drop the E to D, and other variations.
I am a longtime user and fan of the Hipshot.
It’s comparatively inexpensive, and with careful mounting, non-invasive.

I borrowed a b-bender from a friend of mine, honestly it was a distraction. Not saying you couldn't get use to it but it's not for me.
It takes a while to learn how to use one.
There are great tutorials on Youtube.
B benders are not common, and are indeed a distraction to some.
I try to use mine to mimic a pedal steel guitar.
Most players use them to facilitate licks, or move notes within chords.
B benders are indispensable, for me.
The various other systems, Parsons-White, Parsons-Green, Glaser, McVay, and Evans all work beautifully, too.
Hipshot is the cheapest, easiest to install/remove, and works best for me.
Will Ray is a masterful proponent, BTW.

Last edited:

Nishplayer

Tele-Meister
OK some thoughts from a relative bender newbie....just about a year now....

First adding a good bender system whether routed like Parsons/Forrest Lee Junior type or drilled though as in Glaser's should not add weight....the so called 'boat anchor' benders were the Parsons/Green type on most of the Fender B Benders now supplied by Hipshot as a kit (and those have heavier construction reversed onto a metal plate)....

I bought a double bender after playing around with a Fender RW BP with a Forrest Lee Junior B Bender installed (it is just over 6.5 lbs)....the double bender is custom built by Forrest with all the goodies added on (but still less than 8 lbs.)

Second, if they are a distraction, I haven't found that to be the case....if anything they have opened up a new world of playing....been fun learning some cool riffs on a bender....

Benders are incredible instruments....not everyone's cup of tea....but sure have become mine....

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Zac Childs has quite a few Bender videos on his channel.

Here's some history, and he talks about his preference for the Glaser, and more.

I hope to have an Evans Pullstring installed, when possible. Like you, I have no prior experience with benders.

wabashslim

Friend of Leo's
I had the Hipshot on mine for a while. Since I play sitting down and didn't feel like standing just to bend a string occasionally I made an over-the-top handle like a Bigsby, but had to get used to the string bending UP when I pushed the handle down...strange at first. Also the string squeaked passing over the brass saddle - took days to figure out where that noise was coming from. A steel saddle took care of that...but I took off the whole schmutz after a while, like others said, it was a distraction.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
Got one of the new Fender JV Modified ’60s Custom Telecaster View attachment 968837
thinking about getting a b bender for it, I see the routed versions like Parsons/Forrest Lee and the Drill Thru like Glaser/McVay seems to be split who like's what, not sure which way to go.. Never played a b bender guitar but play some stuff that would be nice to have one and learn how to use it.... looking for any advice i can get.
I like the B-bender that came with my Nashville. It does look like a lot of work to install one in a guitar that doesn't come with it. But for me it's the most comfortable and intuitive to use of the all the different benders.

FndrBenderTele.jpg
FndrBenderTele2.jpg

T Prior

Poster Extraordinaire
a few things to add...AGAIN--- and AGAIN

Routing a guitar and adding the Forrest Lee jr or similar installed system adds NO weight. Approx 1 lb of wood removed, aprox lb of parts installed. IF we are talking about the factory Fender PG guitar then YES it adds a couple of lbs to the stock guitar, because it is a PRE-MANUFACTURED SYSTEM , on a plate dropped into the guitar. It is not individual parts mounted into the routed cavity.

DISTRACTION ? Uhmmm--Not to me--- its an extension of what we already know and do. Proficiency for Bender study requires a pretty good knowledge of the fretboard, intervals and redundant chord shapes. A good amount of players who purchase a Bender( thats a good thing) may find that they are limited in "what to do with it " , they are trying to walk thru a door that is half closed. To open the door we need to first study the fretboard, intervals and redundant chord shapes , then add the Bender. Once that door opens, you will never put the dang thing down !

REVERSABLE --At the risk of being slammed, which is nothing new for me, if before we have one installed we are already thinking about REVERSING it , don't have it installed. Get a Palm Lever or a Hipshot , play with it, fool with it. Benders are different Instruments, they are not IN FASHION add- on's or novelties. To me , if we are already thinking about reversing it, before we even start, we are half way to giving up before we started >>>> Grab a Fender Parsons Green Guitar, its as close to an installed system as you can get, its a strap actuated system. Play, Study, see what happens , if you don't like it, move it along. If you DO LIKE IT, move it along and get a Premium System installed in one of your Tele's, because NOW YOU KNOW .

The problem with dedicated Bender players is simple , they want a Bender on each of their Tele's, not just one. If we go to a gig without a Bender its like being half naked, half of their phrases are left at home.

TRUTH- I played a gig a week or two back, I brought out my 1988/52 RI which I recently did some maintenance to, its a great Tele, BUT- NO BENDER. I've been playing only B Benders on gigs for several years now, this was the first time I brought out a NON Bender guitar in a very long time. What happened ? I found myself kinda going backwards , adjusting what I would have played with the Bender to playing without it !. It was fun...different, but fun. Not a struggle, but I had to rethink some of my positions and phrasing . I had to use my brain in "real time" , something I try not to do much these days...

itstooloudMike

Tele-Meister
I’ve had a Hipshot, a Parsons-White, and now a Glaser. The Hipshot didn’t work for me at all. I could not get used to the hip lever, and it never sounded “natural”. The P-W was a huge step up, and I liked how smooth it worked. I bought the guitar with the P-W already installed, and got a decent price on it. But the guitar was heavy, and I eventually sold it. I doubt I would ever have a P-W installed on a guitar that wasn’t already equipped, because of the cost. They’re good, but pretty pricey. I really like the Glaser bender I now have in my Brent Mason Sig Tele. It works just as well as the P-W, and is equally smooth. I’m very impressed with the Glaser, and may have one added to my other Tele. I think the cost of the Glaser install is pretty reasonable for how well engineered it is.

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
I used to have a hipshot and now have a Glaser bender guitar. The hipshot adds several ounces, the Glaser doesn't seem to add much or any weight. I don't think they work for everyone or every style, but if you are trying to sound more like a pedal steel without actually having a pedal steel in the band, I don't think there is anything else that gets you close. I don't use mine a ton but I'm glad I have it, and someday I'll find more opportunity to learn it better. With the Glaser, you can always just move the strap button to the regular one and you are back to having a regular tele, with no effect at all on tuning, tone, etc.

I would recommend trying one out but that can certainly be hard as they are not easy to get a hold of. To use one does take practice and study of what goes with what. Kind of like learning to use a wah or volume pedal properly, but maybe more work than that.