Questions about a used Telecaster...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Jonloder, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I just want to clarify that even though the serial number checks out that does not mean it is the real thing. That could be faked as well.

I also noticed that the bridge pup looks like a rail pup, which I would not think is standard in a standard tele.

2. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Nothing about that screams Fender to me, including the case. There's likely a few reasons it's priced where it is.

3. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

The link worked but I would be a little suspicious though.

From the web I see this headstock on a 88-2000 Tele

[​IMG]

On the ad the serial number is on the back which seems weird and the truss rod plug hole looks weird as well compared to this one.

From the ad

[​IMG]

Although I did find another 50th anniversary model with this headstock

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It would be worth checking out especially if you could talk him down a bit. Opening up the control plate will put the rest of the issues at ease.

4. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

In my view the tuners and bridge are an upgrade, though I fully agree with you that for most (myself included) they have a negative impact upon the monetary vlaue of the guitar. Wherever I have fitted the Wilkinson saddles to a Fender bridge (making no non reversible modifications) the old saddles have been retained in the event that I ever come to sell the guitar.

5. jim777

jim777 Tele-Meister

You could get a legit Baja for not much more than that...

That Cal Webway likes this.
  6. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Well it looks like a 1995-96 American Standard neck with replacement tuners and a replacement string tree on some other body - at best it's a Highway 1 body (which the Wilkinson bridge would fit on correctly) but you would have to see the neck off the body to verify that it is a Fender body. Given the ad says it's a 2015 - which it clearly is not - I would avoid it.

As an FYI - the first photo you posted is actually of a 1990 American Standard Tele headstock. For some reason Fender messed up in 1990 and wound up with "N9xxxxxx" serial numbers instead of "N0xxxxxx" serial numbers. Fender changed to the vintage style decal with the serial number on the back of the headstock in 1995, so "true" 1999s have the serial number on the back.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  7. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Wilkinson bridges are good. I have one but not in a guitar yet.
    Can't comment on the tuners.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.