1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Question

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Kris 1111, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Kris 1111

Kris 1111 TDPRI Member

Hello. If I buy a Fender guitar in Austria, will the guarantee be valid in England? Best Regards, Kris

2. 53Strat

53Strat Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I've bought many, many Fender guitars over the years. never had to think about a warranty claim.

If it's a good deal go for it. What can go wrong that a guarantee will fix without a fight anyhow?

3. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

If you're buying a new instrument from an authorized Fender dealer it should be covered.

4. Kris 1111

Kris 1111 TDPRI Member

I want to buy a guitar in Austria and the seller is not an authorized Fender dealer. He wrote that the guitar has guarantees only in Austria. He did not present a real photo at the auction and wrote that the guitar is new, he only checked if everything is OK. So I have a dilemma whether to buy this from Reverb.com

5. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

That would be a warning to me that something about the deal is a bit shady.

If a deal seems too good to be true, it's probably false.

Buyer beware.

blues, Wally and Kris 1111 like this.
  6. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

Fender 2 Year Warranty document
    https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Original/10002/Fender-Squier Brands Electric Guitar 2 Year Limited Warranty REV JAN 2017.pdf

"FENDER®/SQUIER® ELECTRIC GUITARS AND BASSES 2-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY
    Fender warrants this Fender or Squier electric guitar or bass to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for two (2) years from the date of original purchase, subject to limitations set forth herein (“Limited Warranty”). This Limited Warranty applies only to the original retail purchaser when this instrument is purchased from an Authorized Fender Dealer and is subject to the limitations set forth herein. IMPORTANT: PLEASE RETAIN YOUR ORIGINAL SALES RECEIPT, AS IT IS YOUR PROOF OF PURCHASE VALIDATING THIS LIMITED WARRANTY."

Now the UK has left the EU it is unlikely that a warranty claim against the seller would succeed.

Kris 1111 likes this.
  7. Kris 1111

Kris 1111 TDPRI Member

It seems strange to me too, I ask for guarantees because it's a Telecaster Brent Mason model. You can't buy it anywhere because Fender has some production problems. This guitar has Glaser system, so I would like to be sure that in case of failure I can fix it somehow I will resign from the purchase. Thanks to everyone for the answers. Regards

8. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

Thomann are showing them in stock 1-2 weeks.

You won't have any issues dealing with them.

scottser likes this.
  9. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

Here's an idea.. contact FMIC.. I would imagine their answer won't be a guess.. That will be far more reassuring than the responses above.. :p

r

getbent, Kris 1111 and Wally like this.
  10. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

From my experience of Austria, (the company I worked was Austrian), whenever I visited it was expensive.remember paying 50% over the odds for a set of Slinkys. But, if you’ve your eye on a good deal, the warranty will be with the shop. If you choose to use the Fender warranty then a UK shop may elect to help you out but to what extent would be dependent on how Fender allowed them to handle it. If the work could be done in the store, they may be allowed to charge back Fender.

Kris 1111 likes this.
  11. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

You’ve effectively got no guarantee in practice terms. The seller, as I wrote above, is responsible but proving the fault and getting it remedied wouldn’t be easy. Fender may help, to protect their (good) name and reputation but you’d be doing the leg work. Better chance if it was at least bought from a Fender dealer.

Kris 1111 likes this.
  12. Kris 1111

Kris 1111 TDPRI Member

As of today, no one knows when these guitars will be in stores. The dates given are estimates

13. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

I’d worry a little about the whole deal

14. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Afflicted

Since you're not buying it from an authorized Fender dealer, you don't get a Fender warranty.

The seller has no photos of the guitar? In that case I wouldn't purchase it. Just place an order with an authorized Fender dealer and wait for it. I would expect shipments of that model to reach European retailers around the end of January.

Kris 1111 likes this.
  15. Kris 1111

Kris 1111 TDPRI Member

16. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Afflicted

Peegoo and Kris 1111 like this.
  17. Kris 1111

Kris 1111 TDPRI Member

That's how Fender wrote back to me:
    26 Oct 2020, 10:40 GMT

Hello,

Thank you for your email. Fender products benefit from international warranty as long as you are buying the product directly from a Fender authorised dealer and the claim is within the first 2 years. In this case, the warranty would be valid.

Best regards,
    Alex
    Fender EMEA
    Service and Support

Peegoo likes this.
  18. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

I would think the warranty follows the guitar not the country the guitar was purchased in. If you lived in England and ordered a guitar from.......... I dunno the USA would the warranty be valid? I think so.

Gary

19. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

So long as it ships from an authorised Fender dealer, the two-year warranty is good.

Yes, the peace of mind that your guitar's quality of materials and workmanship has a guarantee is worth the additional cost.

As they say in the construction business, "only a rich person can afford cheap paint." Or for good tools: "Buy once, cry once."

Translation: Spend the money up front for good quality, and you won't have to replace/re-do the same job in two years.

Kris 1111 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.