1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Question tremolo gotoh

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Blaoskaak, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Blaoskaak

Blaoskaak TDPRI Member

Hi,

I got my gotoh tremolo today, but i have a question about the trem. I think there is not much room for the tremolo in the cavity.

20210127_172640.jpg

Also the roundings are diffrent. I have 1mm room on each side of the tremolo block left.

How much room does it need? And should i make the cavity bigger?

Thanks.

Edit: i got the gotoh ge101t. String spacing is 11.3mm. Is this normal for a strat?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  2. Blaoskaak

Blaoskaak TDPRI Member

This is the room i have left. It is alot less because of the radius on the side from the tremolo block and the radius on the cavity is diffrent.

The length from the block cavity is 1/2 inch. On my squier strat it is 1.18inch

The overall length from block + spring cavity is 4.92inch. This is also on my squier.

I measure from nut to center screwholes 25.5inch. Shouldn't this be to saddles?

3. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

The clearance you need depends on how you plan on using the vibrato.

For a 25.5" scale length, that measurement should be from the face of the nut to the top of the high E string's saddle with its intonation screw out almost all the way.

This problem you're having is common when assembling a guitar using parts from different suppliers. There are always poorly-fit parts and things that need to be modified, e.g., screw holes in the wrong places, etc., for the guitar to operate properly.

Blaoskaak likes this.
  4. Blaoskaak

Blaoskaak TDPRI Member

Thanks for the reply. I re-measured it and the scales is correct. 25.5 from nut to high e saddle.

How much room should the block have on each side?

5. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Enough room to swing on the pivots without contacting the wood. It can be as small as 1 mm. This guarantees smooth vibrato action when leaning on the bar. Anything extra gains you nothing.

Blaoskaak likes this.
  6. Blaoskaak

Blaoskaak TDPRI Member

Great! My questions are answered. Thanks !

Peegoo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.