question to successful deal hunters and deal landers

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tamer_of_banthas, May 24, 2020.

1. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Holic

what is the best price you have ever negotiated on a brand new (not B stock) guitar? it does NOT count if you were casual friends or racquetball buddies w. the manager of guitar center or something like that. we're talking walk into an unfriendly retail environment cold with no introductions type of negotiation here

also: for you slick characters who talked your way into an outsized discount, what bargaining advice would you extend to an amateur jedi who wishes to learn this technique?

2. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

You should be able to walk in the door at Guitar Center and get 10-15% off most anything over $500. To get REALLY good deals on new gear, you need to find a motivated seller. GC is rarely going to be a motivated seller because the guys on the floor don't seem to care if you buy anything or not, and they have fairly strict rules about discounting product. A good example of a motivated seller would be a small shop that has a 5-year old guitar gathering dust, or even better, one going out of business.

I don't bother playing that game much, because the REAL bargains are in used gear- I've gotten some serious bargains on Craigslist, and even on GC's used page.

3. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My best deals have always involved sealing the deal with Cash.
    Don't talk fast, don't fidget, get right to the point, look them straight in the eye, be respectful and, be ready to walk away if it isn't what you really want.

4. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I research each piece of equipment I want for a few weeks at minimum and I know what something normally goes for. Then I wait for the big holiday sales, clearance, and/or closeouts on last year's stuff. Constantly check a half a dozen or so websites for the deals. Musican's Friend has the Stupid Deal of the Day (and sometimes the Stupid Deal of the Hour - they're running one today). I've gotten a few nice things for a big discount watching that.

As for negotiating, I haven't gotten anyone to come down more than 15% in many years. I haven't found a good local store in my area, so most of my stuff comes from my local GC or online - corporate suppliers. They don't seem to care if you walk out on a deal, and I have several times; not even a "wait a minute" as I'm walking either.

Nothing wrong with B-stock. I've gotten a guitar and two amps that were B-stock in the last few years and I've never found anything out of place or wrong on any of them (except the required etched letter on the guitar).

Used is another story. That's mostly a watch, wait, and pounce type thing. I've gotten lots of stellar deals for stuff off Craigslist.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  5. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

First and foremost have cash at hand. No one wants to discount something you want to finance. Next, patience. Delayed gratification can be deliriously fun. Next, target your goods and have more than one item in mind. Know the prices of what you want and make sure you absolutely know the going price from at least a half dozen places including online with shipping and taxes. Know your stuff but don't show your cards. Don't be afraid to say not today politely if they don't come down to your comfort zone. A retailer has to make a profit somehow. You are not getting 200.00 off of a 400.00 dollar guitar. Don't forget to try and negotiate a case or strings and something else to sweeten the pot. Know what they currently have on sale that they might throw at you. And when you don't see it in the stores start searching CL and Reverb and FB Marketplace. I have purchased several guitars in mint condition, unplayed from people on CL. They were all discounted nicely. Some half price. Research, I hope this helps. Happy hunting!

6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

As long as you can keep whoever you are negotiating with on ANYTHING making the price offer, you can make a deal. The moment you throw out a price, he knows you want it, even if it's a lowball offer. A guy kept asking me once would you give so, and so? I'd say, I dunno. He'd talk some more and then say would you give so, and so? Just for the heck of it, when he wouldn't make any more offers, I told him what I would give, he said, I'm serious I'll have to talk to the boss about it. I gave him my card, and said call me. Two hours later, the guy called me. He said we have a deal, I saved almost eight thousand dollars saying, I dunno.

tamer_of_banthas and nojazzhere like this.
  7. Toto'sDad

When I was still working, I used to have to go out and shake the bad debts out of people. I learned a good deal about negotiating from doing that. It's about a difficult a job you can have, trying to extract blood out of them turnups. IF you ever get to where you can collect, negotiating a price on something you want to buy, or even sell is easy.

tamer_of_banthas likes this.
  8. Toto'sDad

Even better is to be able to walk, even if you do want it. They can always tell, if they need, not want to sell, and sometimes even if they only want to sell, if they really know you'll walk, it's a big plus. Cash always gets the best deals, always.

9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I say here is my $500 cash, that's what I have to spend right here right now.
    They accept it or they don't.
    Walking out sometimes makes it happen.
    No amount of cajoling or telling of tales will get a better price on new retail AFAIK.

One thing that works is to buy the great deals rather than trying to turn some other item into a great deal.
    IOW wait for a line to be discontinued or go on clearance.

Used is another story.
    But, why buy new retail if you want great deals?

10. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Unfortunately, the minute you walk in and express any interest in the *new* stuff, they know they have you.
    You can save $500 easily by not being the first to drive it off the lot.
    No magic, you just need to put in the time.
    Savvy shoppers know how to research, and frankly, they spend a lot of time just looking at stuff, mostly used.

11. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Local shop that knows me and making it clear I am out to buy... not kick tyres.

Go prepared... have a price in mind and be prepared to walk. If they get that you have done your research and are still talking with them, then they will be engaged.

I go in with competitor prices from online ready... they will always price match and then either go a little better or throw in some extras like a lead, strings or plectra.

This, and generally shopping around and waiting till I find a good instrument or a deal/sale will see regular 10-15% savings and much more in sales.

i don't actually buy by price... it has to be an instrument that really appeals... and I will pay for a good one. My hunts can take a long time.

My best new guitar deal was my 50’s Baja - was in a now gone, local shop. Been on wall ages, strings rusted and among a bunch of beginner instruments and cheap transistor amps. I had been looking at, and had budget for, a CS, RI or a US Deluxe.. but this fat necked monster was super light and super resonant and just sang to me. Incredible pickups and neck. Best TELE Fender ever made?

Mentioned the rust, offered £300 (about 40% below retail) and got it.

12. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Holic

Ha.... I completely disagree.

Create a relationship.... chat, tell them your life story, how much you luv their store, how much you luv the guitar, how great they are, the guys down the road are terrible, etc.

Then they will offer you a discount without even asking!.... and that becomes the starting price for the negotiations.

Works for me every time.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  13. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I’ve found an easy way to make a deal is on trade-in, if the shop knows the trade will sell quickly.

14. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I put myself in their place and look at their own options. Sometimes people are so desperate that they sell below what it cost them

I am mainly mystified by retailers who need to sell something distressed but they won't negotiate because they don't want to feel you won. I once played a shop soiled baja that would be considered badly dinged if used, and when I made a very fair offer for it the guy snatched it off me and didn't even come back with a counter. Wound up getting a mint used one for less

Haggling is very formulaic to me, as I sold so many things in my profession and know the pressures on a seller/how ego can wreck a deal. Sometimes market value is important, sometimes not

15. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

These days ? Right now ?

Tell them you’ll put your mask back on and leave the store if they’ll just give you 30%.

Back in the old days the “Tijuana walkaway” was a staple in my kit bag...

tamer_of_banthas and dented like this.
  16. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Holic

I know that the 15% off coupons from MF/GC are common but I regularly get 20% off coupons from them. Also, MF invited me to join a program for their top customers which among other perks offered extra discounts.

Most of my best deals have happened when some retailers decided to move away from selling musical gear. Two examples that come to mind are Amazon Canada and Best Buy Canada. I was able to get a lot of insane deals (like 50-70% off street price) from them as they were clearing out gear.

I also buy a lot of gear from L&M here in Canada. I patronize one of their stores and I have a sales guy there who takes good care of me. I get perks that aren't offered to the average person because I'm a long term (about 45 years) and profitable customer to them.

17. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I love it! The "Tijuana Walkaway!" I never heard that expression and I live here and would go there constantly. I would hold my money on my shoulder as I walked away and they would always snatch it and give me the item. Fun stuff there. After the cartels showed up we stopped going. Sad.

18. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Rule # 1 ..

Money talks ...

Unfortunately...

In my case, it usually says ...

Goodbye !!!

19. teletail

teletail Tele-Holic

Rule #1 - when someone starts bragging about the great "wheeler dealer" they are, take it with a grain of salt. First, they are like gamblers - they only remember the one time they got lucky and forget the 100 times they walked away bowlegged from the screwing they got. Second, they are like tough guys; when someone is really a tough guy, they don't need to tell anyone because everyone already knows. There was a guy over on TalkBass bragging about how he'd never lost money on a deal. They only thing I can say about that is, "What ELSE is he lying about?" :D

Advice from a non-wheeler dealer, Cash is king and be prepared to walk. The best deals I've ever gotten were when I decided what I would pay BEFORE I walked into the store and refused to budge on the price. However, I've walked away from a lot of OK or good deals because of that and on the other side I've occasionally overpaid when I really wanted something. In my mind it's OK to overpay, as long as you are honest with yourself.

beyer160 and tamer_of_banthas like this.
  20. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Holic

good point about the over the wire braggadocio, teletail

teletail likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.