Question Regarding The Use Of a "Y-cord"...

Bill Sheehan

Tele-Holic
Assume the following facts:

I am performing solo, with a mic'd acoustic guitar and a mic'd voice (mine, of course).

My portable PA only has one XLR input.

I have been running the two mics (which are identical) into the dual XLR receptacles of a Y-cord, with the single end of the Y-cord (also being XLR) plugged into the single XLR input on the PA.

This has actually worked out quite well for purposes of the small-scale (retirement home) outings I've been doing, but with one disadvantage-- both mics are always at the same volume relative to each other. This isn't a deal-breaker, but there are times when I'd like to have my guitar's mic a little hotter than my vocal mic.

So, I'm wondering, if I run the vocal mic thru a simple XLR-based "inline volume control box" (passive) before it goes into the Y-cord, could I achieve my desired result by then turning the overall PA volume up to a level suitable for the guitar's mic, and then reducing the vocal mic's volume appropriately via the volume control box which (hopefully) affects the volume of that mic only?

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Before you start adding in more parts an pieces maybe look at a fishman loudbox or something
where you dont have to mess around, if you are going to continue . Just saying.

If it is a 1 xlr input there are probably no 1/4 jacks to you on your pa?

If you are into pre mixing there are a few (I have never used) . I think
you can find some cheap mixers used (4 chan) that might suit.
(make sure they have an xlr out) lol

Last edited:

kbold

Friend of Leo's
Bottlenecker's suggestion ... OR
For what you're doing, you could consider replacing the PA with an acoustic amp.
Lots of different flavours out there, and most are not expensive.
An acoustic guitar with a pickup should be on your radar as well.

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
Yeah a little mixer would work well and be useful I expect. Something like this Behringer mixer would work well for very little money.