1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Question regarding neck pickup mounting

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Ivyjane, Nov 24, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Ivyjane

Ivyjane TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Hi amazing tele peeps,

I’m a very happy owner of a squire 2020 classic vibe 50’s Telecaster.

My main question is regarding the mounting of the neck pickup.

I’ve noticed that on older classic vibe models and Fender American edition is that the neck pickup is mounted to the body, and not the pick guard.

Does this effect tone in a noticeable way?

As so far I’m doing simple mods (brass saddles for example.) And I plan to modify the wiring so that I can easily reverse the control panel.

thanks all for my possible inane questions. In my guitar playing life (46 now been playing since a kid) this is the guitar that has given the most pleasure.

stepvan, Boreas and PeteWaller like this.
  2. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Hi!
    No it does not affect tone – much less in a noticeable way. The key considerations are (a) which look you prefer and (b) do you need to have permanently access to those height adjustment screws?

Happy experimenting!

Boreas likes this.
  3. Ivyjane

Ivyjane TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Experimentation is so much fun. But I think I prefer the look without the mounting screws.

Along with flat head screws
    And so on.

just having so much fun. I don’t know what it is about the Tele is that it reminds of me learning the guitar all over again and enjoying every discovery of tone one finds.

Boreas likes this.
  4. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Teles are like that: deceptively simple, but so rich in musical possibilities and applications.

5. PeteWaller

PeteWaller Tele-Meister

Yes I love messing with my tele, a custom shop 60s and am always chasing the "tone" I just fitted a strat/sunn neck pickup and didn't bother with the adjustment screws as it sat at the right height:) Before this I had twisted tele and nocaster 51 neck pickups, both which i removed the chrome/nickel covers which noticeably improved the tone and looked better! Your right the telecaster is for you to do as you please with! 20201116_110142.jpg

Ivyjane likes this.
  6. PeteWaller

PeteWaller Tele-Meister

Oh yes and i reversed the controls as well:)

7. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Tele-Meister

I've a couple with pickup screwed to body and one with it suspended from the guard.
    Soundwise, doesn't make any difference.
    It's easier to adjust the suspended pickup, not only because it's easier to get at the screws, also because you're not screwing in to wood.
    Never really given it any thought, but if I was building one, I'd go the scratchplate route. Can't think of any upside to screwing them to the body.

Boreas likes this.
  8. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I am a tweaker. Take away my adjustment screws and I would be unhappy...

dougstrum likes this.
  9. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

My blue Tele is probably my favorite. It's had every conceivable neck pickup, and I have pickguards cut to match:rolleyes:
    As far as mounting goes I prefer to have access to the adjustment screws with out having to remove the pickguard~

rand z likes this.
  10. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

yeeaahhh

that's one of those goofy vintage quirks that makes it onto some models.

you can drill screw holes in the pickguard as a quality of life improvement (adjusting without removing the guard).

11. BluesRockDude

BluesRockDude TDPRI Member

One thing to bear in mind is, if you don't have a drill press, it can be extremely tricky to get holes for the screws perfectly perpendicular to the body. I have a tele deluxe that I converted to soapbar P90s mid lockdown and they both lean a little, and I was using a guide for the drill bit.

Wulf likes this.
  12. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

theres mine...havent cut the guard to accomodate the pickup...not sure i will 0.jpg
    as for mounting..i think the choice of pickup has more influence on tone...not the way its mounted in your guitar...taking the guard on and off to adjust is a bit of a pain..some drill holes in guard so they can get a screwdriver in there if its bodymounted
    i went through a heap of pickups...and killed a few in the process before i settled on that one...some just sound orrible

dougstrum likes this.
  13. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

If the pickup is strongly wax potted it should not matter much. But if it’s slightly microphonic as I like them, you should be able to hear a difference when doing a side by side comparison.

Ivyjane and Wulf like this.
  14. RolandG

RolandG Tele-Meister

My experience is that body mounting affects the attack and sustain, but not the EQ of a note. Depending on your amp sound and playing style you may or may not notice it.

Some early Telecaster had the neck pickup screwed into the body with a wood screw. Not particularly adjustable. I prefer to use machine screws. These can be seated in a threaded insert screwed into the wood. You can also make a plate which fits into the bottom of the pickup cavity. I’ve experimented ended steel, and plywood with nuts glued into it. In the end I settled on threaded inserts, but you need a drill press to install them cleanly.

15. RolandG

RolandG Tele-Meister

obligatory picture

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.