Question re. humbuckered Tele's

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by SixStringSlinger, May 23, 2020.

1. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've been curious about putting a humbucker in my Tele's neck position (it's an MIM Standard already routed for it). Really just kicking the idea around at this point, but I'm curious about something: What would the middle position sound like in this configuration (assuming a typical single-coil Tele bridge pickup)? I really like the middle position with two single coils for some country stuff and other things. How would the same position compare with a humbucker in the neck? Examples welcome.

2. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Holic

A LOT fuller. Flipping the switch to the middle is like just lowering the EQ a little on the low and mid, and up a little on the high. Not anything like a standard SS Tele to my ear.

I think a standard Tele SS has that twang because the pickups are better balanced and spaced so that they are naturally a little out of phase with each other.

Why not change one of the pots to push/pull and coil split the humbucker while you're under the hood?

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

3. Thinline casket

Thinline casket Tele-Meister

I have a thinline with 2 HBs and a thinline with 2 WRHBs. So I can't answer your question directly. However, telenator raves about the middle position of a custom with a WRHB in the neck. It's worth considering. I had a late 70s custom in the middle 80s. I don't remember what it sounded like, but I remember loving it and regretted selling it.

rockymtnguitar likes this.
  4. puddin

puddin Tele-Holic

mini humbuckers sound sweet. cheers..

rockymtnguitar and Axegrinder77 like this.
  5. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

I have a 90’s Tele Special with Lollar Special T in the bridge and El Rayo humbucker in the neck. Together they sound like this:

6. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

It's a different animal, but I have a G&L Bluesboy Tribute with a humbucker in the neck and a MFD bridge pickup, and the middle position is totally the sweet spot on that guitar. It's a different sound then either pickup individually and I really like it. Again, different components then you're considering, but I guess this is my way of saying that you might really enjoy the configuration.

7. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I find it's less interesting than the normal tele middle position when clean, but when you add some gain it becomes a really useful sound.

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’m a long time proponent of putting a humbucker in the neck position of my Teles.
    All three of mine have humbuckers.
    My all time favorite is the TV Jones Supertron.
    I also like Duncan Stag Mag, Jazz, Seth Lover, and various Antiquity series humbuckers.
    The middle position is much more useful with a neck humbucker.
    It’s my “go to” strumming/rhythm sound.
    Love it!

39martind18, rockymtnguitar and mimmo like this.
  9. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

The other Humbucker option .... get a $12 4-way switch to install in your SS Tele so you can put both coils in series for a humbucker tone.

Any Tele I get that I plan to play (vs flip) gets a 4-way switch and a reversed control plate (V-T-Switch to the rear).

If you go the full humbucker neck pickup plan, you could use a push/pull tone pot to split the neck coil out for single tones.
    Or use a 5-way Strat switch for what are essentially three single coils with push/pull to put the humbucker in series mode.

richiek65 and rockymtnguitar like this.
  10. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The four way switch makes all the difference in the world. I agree with @jvin248 - all my "traditional" teles get it. There sure is something sweet about that Humbucker/MFD combo I mentioned above, however.

11. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yup, just hot rodded my Squier, mid position sounds juicy IMG_20200523_082434.jpg

puddin, mimmo, Macrogats and 3 others like this.
  12. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Afflicted

I'm with richiek65, I put a mini hum in my partscaster, and love the sound. I added another wrinkle, installing a Jazz bass control set, with individual volume controls for neck and bridge, giving an infinite tonal palette to the mid position. _633.JPG
    _636.JPG

13. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

I have one HS Tele with an old MIM alnico 5 pickup at the neck and a ceramic humbucker wound to around 8-9k at the bridge. The middle position sounds schweet.

14. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

Neck humbucker is a classic mod for a Tele. I feel like it adds versatility and the middle still has that two pickups in parallel sound. I have tried all different types of neck humbuckers. My favorite is DiMarzio fast track1, this one is paired with DiMarzio pre b-1. IMG_20191025_160848740_HDR.jpg

39martind18 and BBQedIguana like this.
  15. elelpe

elelpe Tele-Afflicted

I had Nocaster bridge and Duncan '59 neck. The middle position sounded fantastic. There was slightly unbalanced output between two pickups. When I replaced Nocaster with hotter pickup, the middle position sounded less interesting.

16. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I can only tolerate middle position by doing 'something' to the humbucker. Either splitting it, or wiring it with parallel coils. Full series humbucker simply does not play well with singles. IMO, of course.

17. yyr123

yyr123 TDPRI Member

Well I put a P90 in there and it gave me the sustain and the gain I was looking for....but I went with a 4 position wiring which to me makes the difference

However I am in love with the clean quack of the 4th position of a Strat

Soooo

I went back to my single coil in the neck and a Seymour Duncan Qtr Pounder in the bridge and the 4 way still, so I get the clean strat quack but I ran my PU’s wired in....this config

- in phase
    - in phase series (neck / bridge)
    - out of phase
    - out of phase series (neck / bridge)

I mainly use out of phase and for gain the in phase series - which is basically a humbucker sound with the brightness of the bridge

A series wired bridge and neck is basically a humbucker type of resistance/ the p90 was nice but this way I get the classic tele look....

G&L ASAT Classic - USA Model !!!

18. yyr123

yyr123 TDPRI Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BBQedIguana likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.