1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Question re Glarry

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Ghostdriver, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Hey guys,

just a thing, I have noticed with interest the price of Glarry guitars here in the UK is ridiculously low.
    Now I realise they are substandard as far as components etc etc, no problem, but a few reviews have said that the paint and finish of the bodies is flawless pretty much.

so for 60 english pounds, just to use the body would be a good option and ditch the rest for more Fender/upmarket quality components ?

question is, does anyone own a Glarry Tele or Strat and does the neck pocket compute to regular 55-57mm tolerances if I wanted to replace the Glarry neck.

thanks in advance

Danb541 likes this.
  2. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

I have a Glarry strat purchased specifically for a Hendrix-like "flipurstrat" project. It is an okay guitar and would serve me well enough (with some upgrades) if I didn't have other options. I play it from time to time. I'll take some measurements on it (without removing the neck) and post them later today, unless I see someone roll in with actual neck-pocket measurements.

Ghostdriver likes this.
  3. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

The base of the neck measures 55mm. Hope this helps.

3AEC7185-5AB3-4043-A521-B4D5E78F5F3E.jpeg 9762A59B-B2AC-4515-B64C-4C849D78435E.jpeg 24D00869-2483-4AEB-9519-E9F2C8D8F2CB.jpeg 0EBECE3F-ED62-4F8E-BEAF-17D28D92E407.jpeg 428E379C-8332-47F5-9FFD-B5FCD92F9A60.jpeg

gregulator450 and Ghostdriver like this.
  4. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

You might want to have a look at Fazley as well. Similar prices but different finishes.

They seen to be the house brand for Bax, in the same way as Harley Benton is for Thomann.

5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

The general consensus is they are pretty good guitars. The price frightens many used to "Price=Quality". However, the 'cheapness' comes from the change in business model while using typical Squier-style features/parts. Glarry is cutting out the complete 'middle-and-end-man' profit/costs usually involved. You are not paying a retailer (Amazon is a low fee channel not a traditional retailer like Thomann/Sweetwater/etc) and you are not paying a brand owner like Fender/Squier/Gibson/Epiphone plus the retailer. You are getting a guitar from the factory that makes them at what could be close to wholesale pricing that the other retailers/brand owners are piling on top. Thomann is a retailer buying from a factory and marking up the Harley Benton models. Glarry cuts all of that out. Cheap business model, not necessarily cheap product -- I expect many more factories to unleash products with this same model.

I would get one and only spend time on these particular mods (other popular mods are dubious/risky/no effect other than money and time):
    -Fret level/crown/polish (get a good guy to do this and the guitar will play easy like a Custom Shop), this includes nut work and setup.
    -Replace pots/caps/switch/jack with regular Fender MIA-type brands (CTS, CRL, Switchcraft) to have the same feel, durability, and performance.
    -Hard tail the trem (either deck or 'block') to cut out any tuning concerns or messing with tuning. If you want to keep it as a trem, use dry graphite 'lock lube' powder at all contact points and file off any burrs (like under string retainers, saddles, and bridge holes).
    -Only 'tune up!' your guitar, never try to hit the pitch on the way back after overshooting. If you miss pitch then drop back a half step or more and then 'tune up!' your guitar.
    -Stay with either 9s or 10s strings and use those in the fret level/crown/polish/nut/setup stage at the beginning. Players increase string size and then wonder why the nut is pinching the strings. If you think you need big strings for SRV tones ... look up the youtube stories of Billy Gibbons and BB King on 'why are you working so hard?'.

kodiakblair and stormsedge like this.
  6. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

I bought a Glarry Jazz bass last summer for $80 American. I was pleasantly pleased with the quality for the price. I put better pots in it and the frets needed smoothing on the edges but other than that I'm happy. They are so cheap I might get one of their guitars.

emisilly likes this.
  7. Ghostdriver

thanks, I have ten guitar builds and set ups under my belt, I was just curious as to using a body as paint and clear coating are not my thing, it would cut that stage out for me, especially as it’s bloody freezing over here !

stormsedge likes this.
  8. alex1fly

alex1fly TDPRI Member

Regardless of the Glarry reviews out there...

You're probably better off with an Allparts body or something else known to work well with Fender parts, since you'd want to scrap everything but the body. Not that I've modded a Glarry but I've read enough horror stories to know that for me, it'd be worth the extra 30-40 quid to get a body that's made to work with the rest of the parts you want. With a Glarry body, even if other folks' measurements line up, you're basically going off of hope that it will work rather than an established business model based on people doing exactly what you want to do.

loopfinding and Cyberi4n like this.
  9. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Afflicted

You can get better bodies for £60 in the UK. Or secondhand.

10. Ghostdriver

Where ?...just scoured Ebay, all painted and clear coated bodies are way north of 100 quid, all others are unfinished. It’s the painting and refinishing I am trying to avoid....

11. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Most of the Glarry reviews I have read have been positive, I just don't know if I would use one for the basis for mods. Time and money would be better spent on better bones in my opinion.

12. Norris Vulcan

Ah, OK. Sorry didn't realise you were after a finished body...

But are those Glarry's solid timber ? I'd rather have solid over plywood o_O

13. Ghostdriver

i believe they are Basswood, so not the best but for a budget build should be ok

bgmacaw likes this.
  14. Norris Vulcan

Basswood is fine, IMO. My JMJM is Basswood...

tintag27, kodiakblair and richiek65 like this.
  15. Ghostdriver

I ended up buying one, the body is great, and if I am honest it sounds half decent outta the box, was intonated perfectly. BUT I don’t like the stubby old neck or the headstock. I have found a decent neck for replacement which measures up, so will probably replace electronics at later stage, bridge pickup is quite harsh. What’s cool though, body is routed for a humbucker already so no extra work there......for 52 quid delivered, it’s madness really!

Attached Files:

radiocaster and Norris Vulcan like this.
  16. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum Tele-Meister

I would think it would be great fun as long as the body is dimensionally correct- the shape of the cutaway, etc.

If not, replacement pickguards will be tough. I’ve heard it’s an issue with the “xavierre” guitars from GFS. Other concern would be the neck pocket as you mentioned, but not just the width.

I bought two tele necks on reverb for a harmony Bobkat project- https://www.tdpri.com/threads/harmony-h17-bobkat-project-scale-conversion.1052940/

One was an IYV “Ivy” neck, and the other was a firefly. On the firefly neck, heel length was significantly longer than on a real fender and the “Ivy” neck. This would indicate that on the firefly tele, the neck pocket is either longer (cut farther down the length of the body) or the bridge is moved up farther.

That is probably confusing, but there are pictures on that thread that illustrate what I’m talking about.

I like the idea, because if it works out all of those glarry parts can go towards other projects or recouping some money.

Ghostdriver likes this.
  17. Ghostdriver

Pickguards aren’t an issue, I fabricate my own from sheet Ali

F0EFBBA0-D249-4134-89CB-FEFA29CB4D64.jpeg

18. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Glarry, SX, Firefly, Grote, etc....The race to the bottom, otherwise known as the Walmart society, where Squiers and Epiphones are too expensive and too high quality.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021 at 4:58 PM
    Danb541 and Bob M like this.
  19. Ghostdriver

fair point but if you read my original post I want it as a modding platform, only the body will be used.....I can’t paint for toffee so having a cheap but nicely painted body for that money is a win win in my book, as long as the neck is decent, I don’t see why it can’t be a cool guitar.

tintag27, Danb541 and DougM like this.
  20. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Meister

It's basswood and basswood can make fine guitars, but is it good basswood. All timbers come in grades, the cheaper the block the lower the grade.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.