Question on pricing a rosewood tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by mr newhaven, Jul 9, 2019.

1. mr newhaven

mr newhaven Tele-Holic

2B683FBC-4FE1-458D-8B71-ABF8507F7E25.jpeg 4F17F770-C783-49E8-956C-17C86D8576BC.jpeg CA2A333E-8406-412C-990B-E0D67D04DC0E.jpeg 06EC407C-1BBF-4209-B6A6-5E58543AF7F4.jpeg 5734C206-B657-4DFA-8B80-9CBDACFFE2F7.jpeg 30516BB3-E1D4-430F-A89F-41103BD74EC2.jpeg 806500E3-F1C3-470D-B5BC-8EB87CE6BD78.jpeg 48A2D984-651B-4151-A1BF-6292EC4CAA3F.jpeg Hi everyone! I’ve has my mij rosewood tele for about 12 years now...it’s one of those mid 80s teles...it was owned by a jazz session player and he did some work to it...everything is top notch...I’ve loved it for years but it’s time to move on I think...he has an interesting wiring scheme and enhancements...my question is on pricing...obviously from a collector standpoint anything closest to original is best...this isn’t...it has a vintage bigsby installed correctly and bill lawrence handwound pickups installed that are at least 25 years old...I know what the price range is roughly for the guitar but I was wondering if the mods really do affect the value that adversely or that taken as a whole this guitar would actually appeal more to a player as opposed to a stock one?

Thanks for humoring me!

bcorig, nojazzhere and brookdalebill like this.
  2. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have no idea but that wood is a knockout!

3. mr newhaven

mr newhaven Tele-Holic

If you disregard the specifics of this guitar and just think about it in terms of modded vs unmodded what do you think?

bcorig likes this.
  4. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Sweet guitar. At least the mods were good. I remember when you could get those just a few years ago for like $400 - $500.

If you really are gonna sell it, ask the same as what the stock ones go for and then lower if you don't get any bites. I keep kicking myself for passing on a couple when they were still relatively cheap.

5. bcorig

Others more knowledgeable than I should weigh in. I imagine I’d pony up $350-400.

nojazzhere and mr newhaven like this.
  6. roxtc

roxtc TDPRI Member

I'd take it off you at a reasonable price.

mr newhaven likes this.
  7. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Holic

Check completed auctions on Reverb & Ebay.

$350 t0 $400......you're kidding.....RIGHT?

mr newhaven, Seasicksailor and bcorig like this.
  8. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Love it but I do think the Bigsby and tailpiece do detract from the value. If you like it, that's all that matters.

9. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

That's a real nice looking body. I'd think a lot depends on the weight. Most of these were real heavy. At least 9 plus pounds.

Ive seen the lighter ones sell at our 1k. Heavier ones are closer to the $600-700 range. Yours with the Bigsby is going to a bit luthier than most.

Like stated above I wish I'd have gotten one when they closed to $400.

If I were losing our on ebay or Reverb I'd ask a grand and make offers feature available to buyers.

mr newhaven likes this.
  10. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

Searching around online it seems that there aren't a lot of these in the US and international trade restrictions on rosewood won't allow shipping out of Japan so you might be able to use that as a selling point. The mods...especially somewhat invasive ones like what you have there...do detract from the value.

It's a nice looking guitar. The right player would love to have it and would generally pay you what it's worth. A dealer or collector will beat you up on the price until you're giving it away.

Original examples land in the 3000 to 4000 dollar range. I've been out of the market for a while, but I'd guess with all that's been done to it it's probably worth 1200 to 1500. If you have a case and any of the original parts that might bump it up a bit.

On a side note, I see you're from Connecticut. I was born in Bridgeport!

mr newhaven likes this.
  11. bcorig

I don’t really know. Just hazarding a guess.

mr newhaven likes this.
  12. bcorig

I feel as you do. Cosmetically Bigsby on a Tele looks clunky to me. Leaves holes behind. I love that wood grain though.

Ripradiant, mr newhaven and GGardner like this.
  13. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Afflicted

Man, does that hit home. I can barely believe I was worried about six hundred bucks a decade ago. :(

Dismalhead and mr newhaven like this.
  14. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

Mine is from 85 and the pickups had been replaced with Bareknuckles (originals included in the case, but far inferior). Other than that, it was in excellent condition with original case. I got it for £1200 if I remember correctly. I hope that helps (and yes, the $300-$400 range suggestion is way off).

mr newhaven likes this.
  15. Volktar

Volktar TDPRI Member

God that is sexy. I want a rosewood tele something awful!

mr newhaven likes this.
  16. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Afflicted

Doesn't work for me I'm aftaid.

Ripradiant and mr newhaven like this.
  17. bcorig

Also, clean it up and polish the hardware.

mr newhaven likes this.
  18. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Meister

Every 80's MIJ Rosewood Tele on Reverb right now is north of $2K....at least in the search I just did. Rosewood-Telecaster and the date filter set for 80's.

I'd start out listing it at $2K and accept an offer that was at least $1700. These are a popular and desired Tele. The mods take some value off of it compared to stock, but IMO no more than $300-400.

mr newhaven and Fretting out like this.
  19. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

I agree with bumnote as far as it’s value. although it has these mods most are reversible and as someone who would like to acquire one of these in the future I wouldn’t let any of that bother me . I know you said you have an idea what they’re worth but DON’T DARE take only 1200 dollars for it . I think you could on the right day get almost 2500 or so
    That’s just my two cents;)
    as said above they’re desirable and the right person will pay what you want if you’re patient

mr newhaven likes this.
  20. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Even with mods, I think it's at least $2500.00. I let 2 go back in the 90's for $800 or 900, and kick myself over those. MIJ Rosewoods were virtually identical to the originals, and were way closer than any of the USA ones I've seen. I had 3 friends with originals, and know what I'm talking about.

mr newhaven likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.