Question on other brands if amps.

Mission6_OG

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
By the way, I know I’m opening up another one of those worm hole type posts, but thank you guys for all your help and expertise!

Tim S

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Very good point. I am definitely a living room player. I don’t plan as of right now to join a band or gig (that is always subject to change). I wouldn’t mind too bad spending $1500-2000 on a really good amp to play at home if it’s going to last me for years to come. Ultimately what I am looking for is opinions on other brand names that are so so common like the Fenders, Marshals, Vox’s. I have a vox now and actually see myself getting another one. But I’m just looking for info/opinions on amps that are as popular or famous as those 3 I mentioned.
I can appreciate where you’re coming from, but I stand by “company name” isn’t enough to go on (other than for customer support & warranty policies). Most companies make a variety of amp models that are not designed for the same application.

If I recommend Mesa to someone thinking they need a TA-15 and they end up getting a Triple Rec instead then something got seriously lost in translation. Maybe a happy surprise? But not why I recommended Mesa in the first place.

In your case, it sounds like the amp won’t have to compete with a drummer. Are you able to play the amp greater than at “loud TV” volume? Are you concerned with how heavy the amp is? If we knew more, we could better tailor our responses.

Last edited:

Mission6_OG

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
I can appreciate where you’re coming from, but I stand by “company name” isn’t enough to go on (other than for customer support & warranty policies). Most companies make a variety of amp models that are not designed for the same application.

If I recommend Mesa to someone thinking they need a TA-15 and they end up getting a Triple Rec instead then something got seriously lost in translation. Maybe a happy surprise? But not why I recommended Mesa in the first place.

In your case, it sounds like the amp won’t have to compete with a drummer. Are you able to play the amp greater than at “loud TV” volume? Are you concerned with how heavy the amp is? If we knew more, we could better tailor our responses.
The only thing that keeps me from cranking up my amp louder is my own comfort zone and how well I play. I am definitely getting much better through my practice, and much more comfortable. I’m also SUPER lucky to work shift work and get to play in the middle of the day when no one is home. So yeah, when I want, I get to crank my small amp up and play as loud as I want. Regardless of how good/bad that might be. LMAO!

Mission6_OG

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter

But yes! I believe you get the reason behind my post. I posted for learning purposes. I’m not yet in the market to buy a new amp. I’m just always on a quest for knowledge. I just love learning new stuff, not only about things that I live but just anything I really don’t know about in general.

Buell

Tele-Meister
I was going to suggest the Fender Mustang as well, until I saw your price range. That opened up the options quite a bit. I own a Mustang II that is a great little modeling amp. I gig with my Carvin SX. But if my budget was up to $2K, I would probably just go with the Marshall and be done with it.

Mission6_OG

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
I was going to suggest the Fender Mustang as well, until I saw your price range. That opened up the options quite a bit. I own a Mustang II that is a great little modeling amp. I gig with my Carvin SX. But if my budget was up to $2K, I would probably just go with the Marshall and be done with it.
I got my mustang Micro about 2 weeks ago and I freaking love that thing!

Mission6_OG

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
You’re relatively new here… give it time ;)
Asking questions often leads to purchases.
LOL! Yeah, I was never interested in pedals at all…because of this site I currently have 5 with an old Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9 on the way.

joeypnw

TDPRI Member
I'll throw Supro into the mix, I have a Keeley 12 with a master volume. Takes overdrive and fuzz really well, can do anything from country to a black keys bluesy grit. They also have a new one called the Royale that looks awesome

Mission6_OG

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
I'll throw Supro into the mix, I have a Keeley 12 with a master volume. Takes overdrive and fuzz really well, can do anything from country to a black keys bluesy grit. They also have a new one called the Royale that looks awesome
I’ve been very interested in the Supro’s. Not only do I think (my own personal opinion) they are some of the best looking amps, the one I played sounded pretty good even though it was way to big for what I need and I would never really crank it up even at home. But I like everything I’ve seen/heard from them.

joeypnw

TDPRI Member
I’ve been very interested in the Supro’s. Not only do I think (my own personal opinion) they are some of the best looking amps, the one I played sounded pretty good even though it was way to big for what I need and I would never really crank it up even at home. But I like everything I’ve seen/heard from them.
looks was about half the reason I wanted one! they are different though, somewhere between a fender and a british sound

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I currently have a Fender, an Orange, and a boutique 18 watt head from a local builder.

I just got an ENGL last week. I had never tried one before, but always kind of wanted to. The one I got is the “Gig Master” model. Not at all their typical high gain fire-breather. Very chimey and super dynamic and responsive. I don’t think I’ve ever played an amp with this much clarity and note separation. It’s *sort of* Voxy on the cleans, but without the harshness I typically associate with EL84 amps. Gain channel only gets hot enough to do Classic harder rock stuff. Not modern at all.

Yesterday was exactly one week since I picked it up, and I used it at a gig for the second time last night. Both times it’s gotten a lot of attention. Last night the drummer on the gig was a guy I’ve known for many years and have played with a lot. He was asking about it as I was setting up. We played the first set and he said “Harper, I don’t ever want to see any amp but that one on any gig you play with me.” I pretty much agree with him.

It’s discontinued now, but not hard to find. Mine is the 15 watt model and I got it in like new condition for $549. They also make a 30 watt version, and I am currently on the hunt for one.

Les H

Tele-Holic
At the rate Fender reissue amps have gone up (all their amps for that matter) they are suddenly in Mesa Boogie territory and if I was going to spend that kind of money I would lean more to the Fillmore 25/50 or the California Tweed from Mesa Boogie. More features and better-quality build in my opinion.

1643420328489.jpeg
1643420554727.jpeg

Mission6_OG

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
I currently have a Fender, an Orange, and a boutique 18 watt head from a local builder.

I just got an ENGL last week. I had never tried one before, but always kind of wanted to. The one I got is the “Gig Master” model. Not at all their typical high gain fire-breather. Very chimey and super dynamic and responsive. I don’t think I’ve ever played an amp with this much clarity and note separation. It’s *sort of* Voxy on the cleans, but without the harshness I typically associate with EL84 amps. Gain channel only gets hot enough to do Classic harder rock stuff. Not modern at all.

Yesterday was exactly one week since I picked it up, and I used it at a gig for the second time last night. Both times it’s gotten a lot of attention. Last night the drummer on the gig was a guy I’ve known for many years and have played with a lot. He was asking about it as I was setting up. We played the first set and he said “Harper, I don’t ever want to see any amp but that one on any gig you play with me.” I pretty much agree with him.

It’s discontinued now, but not hard to find. Mine is the 15 watt model and I got it in like new condition for $549. They also make a 30 watt version, and I am currently on the hunt for one.
I’ve heard nothing but good things about ENGL and have bed. Interested in them for sure!

3fngrs

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm a Marshall guy but I'm thinking the Mesa Boogie Fillmore would be a good choice for your needs and budget. I've had a little playing time with one of those lately and it's close to winning me over.

I'm looking to upgrade my amp soon and right now I'm mostly looking at the Mesa Fillmore and the Marshall Silver Jubilee. They are different creatures but both are great.

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
Been extremely happy with Soldano, reissue vibroverb was great, Marshall (jtm45/jcm800/slx/vint modern), Vox ac-30, Hiwatt sa-112 and DR-50. The Bogner Uberschall was incredible (and I typically don’t like super-high-gain amps).
I really liked my Rivera combo, but it couldn’t cut thru in a band setting, so it got made gone.

Mission6_OG

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
I do like the cleanliness of my little vox amp. Plus it is small enough that when I crank it up a little I get that overdrive tone out if it I really like. But I also have a Blues driver, MXC prime distortion (which I haven’t played with yet) and just got in an old Ibanez tube screamer TS9 I have yet to play with also. Oh and a MXC compressor as well. I haven’t really messed with my pedals much because I’m learning more and more every day with the set up and few electrics I already have. I’m actually quite happy with my little amp I have but it won’t be much longer before GAS hits me and another amp gets added.