Question on other brands if amps.

Mission6_OG

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
So currently I have a Vox mini-super beetle that I really love. Obvious I’ve heard of a few of the other big name brands…Fender, Marshal, Peavey, Mesa Boogie. Supro, etc... But as I’m slowly sinking into to the ever lasting work hole of new gear and GAS…I’m wondering about other brands as well. I’d love to hear you guys opinions. Friedman, REVV, and any other brands you guys have played/owned/have owned and a few thoughts on them. I know we have a plethora of extremely talented and knowledgeable musicians here on this page.

Mission6_OG

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
What kind of music do you like to play?
Well…that’s a tricky question. Is noodling a genre? I bounce around mostly with southern bluesy type rock to country. A little blues. To be honest I’ve been playing now a little over a year. Almost a year and a half and I’m just now starting to be able to play a few more slightly complicated licks/riffs/sections of songs. My noodling/improvising has definitely progressed significantly over the last few months. However, ultimately my question was just more opinions/thoughts on other brands that is new guys may have not heard about so much. Just wanting to learn really.

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
Well…that’s a tricky question. Is noodling a genre? I bounce around mostly with southern bluesy type rock to country. A little blues. To be honest I’ve been playing now a little over a year. Almost a year and a half and I’m just now starting to be able to play a few more slightly complicated licks/riffs/sections of songs. My noodling/improvising has definitely progressed significantly over the last few months. However, ultimately my question was just more opinions/thoughts on other brands that is new guys may have not heard about so much. Just wanting to learn really.
I'm a fan of bright British amps to RAWK out to. I'm really happy with my VOX and Orange heads. They can get (British) bluesy. However, for a guy into Blues and Country, I would recommend Fender. It's the tone that SO many in those genres made great music on.

A very cool little tool/toy is the Fender Mustang Micro. It's just a small headphone/modelling amp, but dang, the tones in it are fantastic. It could give you a taste of some different sounds (and FX!).

From your OP, some of the amps listed I think of as geared towards high gain playing, specifically Friedman and REVV.

Good luck on the hunt for sweet tone!

Mission6_OG

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
I'm a fan of bright British amps to RAWK out to. I'm really happy with my VOX and Orange heads. They can get (British) bluesy. However, for a guy into Blues and Country, I would recommend Fender. It's the tone that SO many in those genres made great music on.

A very cool little tool-toy is the Fender Mustang Micro. It's just a small headphone/modelling amp, but dang, the tones in it are fantastic. It could give you a taste of some different sounds (and FX!).

From your OP, some of the amps listed I think of as geared towards high gain playing, specifically Friedman and REVV.

Good luck on the hunt for sweet tone!
I actually just got a mustang micro 2 weeks ago and love it!

Jim622

Friend of Leo's
They aren't made anymore, but I've had my Tech 21 Trademark 60 for over 25 years with no issue, and I haven't really looked anywhere else. It's sort of a modeling amp, but it's analogue.

Edit: Sorry I just seen your last post.

Alex_C

Tele-Afflicted
Try a Laney Lionheart. They are one of my favorite sounding amps. They are somewhere between a Vox and Marshall. Very responsive to pick attack.

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Yow. Big question. As mentioned above Victoria, Carr, Dr Z , Goodsell
The supros aren’t ptp but some nice ones. All depends on funding. The list goes on.

gridlock

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I’ve got to have at least one good Marshall and one Fender amp to cover the types of music that I like. I recently added Mesa that kind of covers both tonal spectrums.

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
Top Hat and Winfield - I love their Vox-like options

Matchless and Bad Cat - Also Vox-like, the DC30 is incredible

Satellite - I tried their Mudshark model, 6v6 I believe, really nice amp, lots of vibe

Engl - I’ve owned the Fireball, killer high gain amps, very modern sounding

Diezel - I’ve tried the Herbert. Really crazy high gain amp

Bogner - Try a Shiva for more classic rock/blues, or an Uberschall for high gain.

65 Amps - lots of cool stuff, I like the Tupelo best, 6v6 thing, more roots rock type vibe

Budda - I’ve had a SuperDrive a few times, rock solid and have a unique tone

Friedman - They’re great for the hot rodded Marshall thing, the JJ is one of my favorite amps ever

Revv - No experience, but I gave them a long hard look when looking at 20 watt tube amps. Their features are really intriguing.

PWE - No experience, I’d just love to try an Event Horizon someday. They’ve always sounded spectacular in demos.

3rd Power - Also no experience, but they look very intriguing as well, the Kitchen Sink is a cool concept

Analog Outfitters - very cool aesthetic, rootsy tone

Last edited:

runstendt

Tele-Meister
Milkman Sound amps are a bit pricey, but they sound incredible. Might be worth checking out if you can. On the other end of the price range, VHT amps sound much more expensive than they cost. I used a Special 6 as my main gigging amp for years, and I never had a problem with my tone or volume.

Last edited:

Tim S

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
How much money are you willing to spend? Recommending a $6,000 head for a home player with a budget of $2,000 would be a waste of everyone’s time.

There’s a tool for every purpose. But you need to define the purpose and state your budget.

As for naming amp brands we’ve used… that’s too general. Most manufacturers build different models to a price point and target different genres of music. Maybe you should be asking about models (and build year(s) or circuit version numbers) rather than brand names we like??

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Fender, Marshal

It's funny you ask cause quite literally, I will be receiving my first non-Fender/Marshall amp in the mail tomorrow. It's a VHT D-50 which is supposedly a Dumble clone. If you don't know who Dumble was, look him up but basically his amps sell north of 100K today. Anyway, we'll see but I'm hoping it will be a good amp. Most people that own em like em, so... I'm intrigued. I'll be putting a review out here once I've had a chance to mess around with it ;)

Mission6_OG

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
How much money are you willing to spend? Recommending a $6,000 head for a home player with a budget of $2,000 would be a waste of everyone’s time.

There’s a tool for every purpose. But you need to define the purpose and state your budget.

As for naming amp brands we’ve used… that’s too general. Most manufacturers build different models to a price point and target different genres of music. Maybe you should be asking about models (and build year(s) or circuit version numbers) rather than brand names we like??
Very good point. I am definitely a living room player. I don’t plan as of right now to join a band or gig (that is always subject to change). I wouldn’t mind too bad spending $1500-2000 on a really good amp to play at home if it’s going to last me for years to come. Ultimately what I am looking for is opinions on other brand names that are so so common like the Fenders, Marshals, Vox’s. I have a vox now and actually see myself getting another one. But I’m just looking for info/opinions on amps that are as popular or famous as those 3 I mentioned.

Mission6_OG

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
It's funny you ask cause quite literally, I will be receiving my first non-Fender/Marshall amp in the mail tomorrow. It's a VHT D-50 which is supposedly a Dumble clone. If you don't know who Dumble was, look him up but basically his amps sell north of 100K today. Anyway, we'll see but I'm hoping it will be a good amp. Most people that own em like em, so... I'm intrigued. I'll be putting a review out here once I've had a chance to mess around with it ;)
I found out who he was the day he passed and got a really good history lesson on his genius from the guy that owns the music shop around the corner from my house.